PToN
Premium Member
join:2001-10-04
Houston, TX

PToN

Premium Member

Systems monitoring

Hello,

What do you guys use to monitor all of your infrastructure? I've been using Opsview, but wanted to see what else is out there.

I need to monitor all my servers, their performance, and availability, as well as all network devices, UPS, SAN, etc.

I know there is Nagios, but was wondering what everyone else is using.

Thanks.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm

Premium Member

Advanced Host Monitor
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to PToN

MVM

to PToN
For up/down status, I've seen and used Netcool, Solarwinds, NMC and a couple others I can't recall off the top of
my head in my time.

For performance monitoring of the network, Vitalnet, M/PRTG, and some sort of xflow / IPFIX solution is STRONGLY
recommended. One tool I've heard of but never had the pleasure of trying myself is OPNET for endhost performance
monitoring.

My 00000010bits

Regards

jay608
Going Nucking Futs
join:2007-01-22
Homewood, IL

jay608 to PToN

to PToN
Nagios/Groundwork
jp10558
Premium Member
join:2005-06-24
Willseyville, NY

jp10558 to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
Zenoss

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34 to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
we have solarwinds and hyperic... we are slowly moving away from hyperic, cause it loves to loose its mind from time to time and the licensing cost is getting too high... we have a small pilot group of System Center Operations Manager out there as well.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to PToN

MVM

to PToN
Solarwinds!

In the past I have used GFI Network Monitor and Whats Up Gold. Both of those are solid products.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
For the Solarwinds users, has Solarwinds gotten better? I set it up about 4 years ago and used it regularly for 2 years before that task was moved to somebody else. I thought it was a pain in the ass to use and the reporting sucked.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

I really like Solarwinds, but I didn't set it up here. I inherited it. At the same time though, it doesn't take a lot of effort to setup and maintain. Using the product is easy for me. At least just as easy as it is to use Whats Up Gold or GFI Network Monitor.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
At home I use PRTG
its very flexible though I only have 30 sensors (but then again I got my license free.)

Weasel
Premium Member
join:2001-12-03
Minnesota

Weasel to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
Dabbling with GroundWorks.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
Zenoss.

Foglight NMS was neat, which I used in conjunction for a time (back when it was free for certain # of devices). It had some nice basic reports that were scheduled. Now, I simply rely on the ol' Zenoss environment. Need to build a fresh one at some point, but the old one just keeps trucking, so it hasn't been a rush to build up a new one.

Zenoss may not track your SAN, but does have many "zenpacks" for UPS' out there. I monitor at least basic availability, but for all servers, it tracks/reports all kinds of useful stats.

PRTG still great for network devices - I've got a base setup of that for a few things. Nothing really beats it for certain things.

Modus
I hate smartassery on forums
Premium Member
join:2005-05-02
us

Modus to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
What's wrong with Opsview? Are you using the enterprise version? I use that in my environment it works great, the reports, alerts and dashboards

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Not There

Drex to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
Inherited Solarwinds in the past and they are attempting to implement Solarwinds here.
It pretty much got the job done.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
My customers are in love right now with SevOne. Seems to be a great tool for them ...
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn to PToN

to PToN
Nagios, does everything i need.

nano2nd
@50.197.97.x

nano2nd to PToN

Anon

to PToN
Paessler's PRTG monitor, has some very slick map features, I was up and running in 10 minutes.
(Windows based)
applerule
Premium Member
join:2012-12-23
Northeast TN
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6183
Asus RT-N66

applerule to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
I'm sure others will disagree...but for ease of setting up, PRTG is significantly easier and faster to get up and running than Nagios. IMO the cost benefit is there due to the time savings from just setting it up.

IMO the best free solution is to run FAN - the Nagios/Centreon/Nagvis "distribution" »www.fullyautomatednagios.org/

For paid, I would go with PRTG. It is significantly cheaper than SolarWinds, and is very easy to use. As I said before, their price points are good enough that the cost benefit (due to time savings) is there.

I have used PRTG, Nagios/FAN, Solarwinds, and AlchemyEye Pro, and if I were setting up a new solution today, the only ones I would really consider are FAN or PRTG due to my past history with the other products.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to nano2nd

Premium Member

to nano2nd
said by nano2nd :

Paessler's PRTG monitor, has some very slick map features, I was up and running in 10 minutes.
(Windows based)

I even have a non-self signed cert on my PRTG now
so easy.

tommy13v
Premium Member
join:2002-02-15
Niskayuna NY

tommy13v to PToN

Premium Member

to PToN
Using Zabbix and Nagios currently.

Ellexa
join:2010-11-08

Ellexa to PToN

to PToN
We've used SolarWinds for network monitoring and System Center Ops Manager for system monitoring, but that's with a large enterprise budget and engineers to manage these systems.

Did you have a budget or LOE in mind for what you wanted?