Search similar:

uniqs
bookertdub
join:2012-10-08
San Diego, CA
·Charter

bookertdub

[Content] Comcast Clear QAM-Seattle Area

I have some friends who are moving to the Seattle/Tacoma suburb of University Place (zip code 98466). They're already planning on getting Comcast for internet, and they are considering getting the local channels package. What I was wondering, has Comcast encrypted their clear QAM channels with regards to locals or will they need an HD digital terminal adapter for their HDTV? In advance I thank you for your help!

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross

MVM

[Content] Re: Comcast Clear QAM-Seattle Area

Even if they haven't gone 100% encryption yet, they will very soon.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to bookertdub

MVM

to bookertdub
From posts on the "Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here" stickied thread, the Seattle/Tacoma area (including University Place) subscribers had their Local Basic channels go encrypted back in November:

From »[Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here
said by hortnut:

November 5, 2013 from a flier inserted with last bill.

Covers Lakewood, Fircrest, University Place and parts of Tacoma Washington.

The Franchise Authority is Lakewood, WA.

and which was later confirmed: »[Content] Re: Report notifications of Limited Basic tier encryption here
bookertdub
join:2012-10-08
San Diego, CA

bookertdub

Thanks for the heads up. Is there anything about the cost of an HD DTA on Comcast's site and would my friends be subjected to the HD technology fee on Comcast's local basic tier? I've tried looking all over the website but can't seem to find it.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

2 edits

telcodad

MVM

said by bookertdub:

Is there anything about the cost of an HD DTA on Comcast's site and would my friends be subjected to the HD technology fee on Comcast's local basic tier?

The monthly fee charged for HD-DTAs is usually the same as for the SD ones, typically $2/month.

See this Comcast Support site page:

Encryption of Limited Basic Services FAQs
»customer.comcast.com/hel ··· ryption/

As far as being charged the HD technology fee, that appears to vary by area. See the discussion in these threads:

»[Content] HD DTA

HDDTA and HD access fees
»forums.comcast.com/t5/Xf ··· /1980857
dishrich
join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

dishrich

said by telcodad:

The monthly fee charged for HD-DTAs is usually the same as for the SD ones, typically $2/month.

Actually for limited basic subs, they usually can get up to 3 (HD) DTA's FREE; additional ones are only .50.

Most likely, they should NOT be charged the HD tech fee; trying to get a CSR to actually understand CC's own policy is another story...

Really the OP needs to get a hold of a price sheet for his particular local CC system, which should spell all of this out.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by dishrich:

said by telcodad:

Actually for limited basic subs, they usually can get up to 3 (HD) DTA's FREE; additional ones are only .50.

Yes, you're right! As bookertdub See Profile said "they are considering getting the local channels package" then the cost should not be more than .50/month for them.