spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mac55
@67.183.184.x

mac55

Anon

[WiFi] Arris TG862G router not a hotspot

I called Comcast today to disable my Arris TG862G modem/wireless router from being a hotspot. The rep said this router cannot function as a hotspot. Can I believe him? I'm seeing all kinds of posts that would contradict this.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 recommendations

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by mac55 :

I called Comcast today to disable my Arris TG862G modem/wireless router from being a hotspot. The rep said this router cannot function as a hotspot. Can I believe him? I'm seeing all kinds of posts that would contradict this.

You shouldn't need to worry about believing the CSR. Assuming that you have a WiFi capable device, just scan for an xfinitywifi SSID; if you see one, turn off your gateway box and see if it is still present. If it is still present, it is not your gateway that is advertising; if it disappears when you power off your gateway, then your gateway is indeed advertising itself as a Comcast WiFi hotspot.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

2 recommendations

telcodad to mac55

MVM

to mac55
From various articles and from posts in the xfinitywifi thread »[WiFi] xfinitywifi channel it does appear that the TG862G can provide an Xfinity WiFi Home public hotspot.

According to this recent seattlepi.com blog column »blog.seattlepi.com/techb ··· hotspot/ it says you can disable it yourself:
quote:
Comcast will begin activating a feature in its Arris Touchstone Telephony Wireless Gateway Modems that sets up a public Wi-Fi hotspot alongside a residential Internet customer’s private home network.
:
Comcast says the hotspot – which appears as “xfinitywifi” to those searching for a Wi-Fi connection – is completely separate from the home network.
:
What’s interesting about this move is that, by default, the feature is being turned on without its subscribers’ prior consent. It’s an opt-out system – you have to take action to not participate.
:
If you have one of these routers and don’t want to host a public Wi-Fi hotspot, here’s how to turn it off.

• Click on Users & Preferences.

• Look for a heading on the page for “Service Address.” Below your address, click the link that reads “Manage Xfinity WiFi.”

• Click the button for “Disable Xfinity Wifi Home Hotspot.”

• Click Save.

mac55
@67.183.184.x

mac55 to NetFixer

Anon

to NetFixer
NetFixer, Thanks for your quick response. I didn't see an xfinitywifi SSID so I'll quit fretting...until tomorrow, it'll be something else.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by mac55 :

I didn't see an xfinitywifi SSID so I'll quit fretting...

This "feature" is being gradually rolled-out area-by-area across the country, so your area may not have been activated yet.

mac55
@67.183.184.x

mac55 to telcodad

Anon

to telcodad
telcodad,

Thanks for the info. I'll be watching for the signal.
fromebnj
join:2013-11-11

fromebnj to telcodad

to telcodad
I see that option under prefrences and it produces an error. Chat with agent was useless

Coelispex
join:2013-06-03
Howell, MI

Coelispex to mac55

to mac55
You can also check Comcast Hotspot map periodically; see if your neighbor has them broadcast, that means it has rolled out etc etc

»hotspots.wifi.comcast.com/

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 edits

NetFixer to mac55

Premium Member

to mac55
said by mac55 :

I didn't see an xfinitywifi SSID...

Interestingly, today (for the first time) I can see an xfinitywifi SSID (with a corresponding HOME-XXXX SSID) in my neighborhood. So I tried it, and it does actually work -- I am posting using that xfinitywifi connection right now.

I can also see a couple of HOME-XXXX SSIDs with associated "nonbroadcasting" SSIDs. My assumtion is that the "nonbroadcasting" SSIDs either belong to customers who have disabled the xfinitywifi feature, or whose gateways just have not been activated for xfinitywifi yet.

EDIT: FWIW, for those who are worried about bandwidth usage if they allow the xfinitywifi hosting -- the connection I got was very slow. So slow I could not get any on-line speed test to even tell me the speed (the WiFi connection speed jumped between a 1mbps and a 2mbps connection). Even the DSLR mobile speed test failed (in fact, I had to switch back to my own connection in order to upload the small screen shot below):

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to Coelispex

MVM

to Coelispex
said by Coelispex:

You can also check Comcast Hotspot map periodically; see if your neighbor has them broadcast, that means it has rolled out etc etc

»hotspots.wifi.comcast.com/

I don't think the precise locations of subscribers' public "Home" hotspots are shown on that map (at least right now), as the XFINITY WiFi FAQs page, in the "Home Hotspot" section (»wifi.comcast.com/faqs.ht ··· true#hot), states this:
quote:
Will my address be shown on the hotspot location map or XFINITY WiFi app?

We do not list subscribers’ addresses on the hotspot location map or in the XFINITY WiFi app. In the future we may use general indicators of XFINITY WiFi Home Hotspot availability around a neighborhood, but only in a manner that assures the privacy of our customers.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

We do not list subscribers’ addresses on the hotspot location map or in the XFINITY WiFi app.

I don't know how often the hotspot location map is updated, but I can verify that the neighbor's xfinitywifi hotspot that I just tested does not even show up on that map. The only xfinitywifi hotspots that are displayed on that map (for my neighborhood) are a couple of commercial locations.

JimONeill
join:2001-06-13
Santa Maria, CA

JimONeill

said by NetFixer:

I don't know how often the hotspot location map is updated, but I can verify that the neighbor's xfinitywifi hotspot that I just tested does not even show up on that map. The only xfinitywifi hotspots that are displayed on that map (for my neighborhood) are a couple of commercial locations.

Same situation here in Santa Maria, CA. I have two neighbors whose gateways are creating hotspots and neither of them show on the map. The map only shows commercial locations.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS to NetFixer

MVM

to NetFixer
The map shows a number of commercial locations around me, but no residential locations (so far as I checked). But they have the UPS Store location wrong, graphically.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc to mac55

to mac55
They are also installing these...

Comcast strand-mounted WIFi hotspot.

...which show up too, so it may or may not be a neighbor's cable modem gateway device thingy.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 recommendations

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by RadioDoc:

[image of strand-mounted WiFi hotspot]
...which show up too, so it may or may not be a neighbor's cable modem gateway device thingy.

The strand-mounted hotspots and the home gateway hotspots should be easy to tell apart. The home gateway hotspots will have another SSID using the same low order bits of the MAC address as shown below.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

telcodad to RadioDoc

MVM

to RadioDoc
said by RadioDoc:

[Picture of a strand-mounted Comcast WiFi hotspot]

Yes, that's an example of what Comcast calls an "Outdoor Hotspot."

As stated in a recent Comcast press release on the expansion plans for their Xfinity WiFi network (»www.businesswire.com/new ··· ots-2014), the public hotspots are currently provided in 3 ways:
quote:
The Xfinity WiFi network presently includes:

Outdoor Hotspots: Comcast has placed Xfinity WiFi hotspots in public locations across the country, ranging from shopping centers and commuter stations to parks, sporting venues, beaches and boardwalks.

Business Hotspots: Most Comcast Business Internet customers are eligible to receive an Xfinity WiFi hotspot for no additional charge when they order service. This is a value-added feature that directly improves their patrons’ experience. Examples include restaurants, cafés and bakeries, retail establishments and office waiting rooms.

Neighborhood [or "Home"] Hotspots: Recently, Comcast began providing residential customers with Xfinity Wireless Gateways the ability to have a second “xfinitywifi” signal (or SSID) in their home that is separate and distinct from their private and secure home Wi-Fi signal. This second signal provides visiting Xfinity Internet customers Wi-Fi access without the need to use the homeowner’s private network password. Presently, 54% of Xfinity’s Neighborhood Wi-Fi usage travels over the second SSID.
The locations of these "Outdoor" and "Business" public hotspots are what are currently being shown on the XFINITY WiFi Hotspot location map and the XFINITY WiFi app.

RadioDoc

join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL

RadioDoc

said by telcodad:

ranging from shopping centers and commuter stations to parks, sporting venues, beaches and boardwalks.

No shopping center, commuter station, park, sporting venue, beach or boardwalk anywhere near this one...just a narrow alley in need of repair and a bunch of garbage cans and garage doors.

And it has severe reliability issues, which isn't surprising I guess. These seem to be more press release fodder than anything. The "speeds" I get connected to it range from the low hundreds to the mid thousand kilobits/second.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to fromebnj

MVM

to fromebnj
Click for full size
My Manage XFINITY WiFi Pop-up
said by fromebnj:

I see that option under prefrences and it produces an error.

I just tried clicking on that “Manage Xfinity WiFi” link and, as I don't rent one of those Xfinity Wireless Gateways, I just get the info pop-up shown above.
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

Re: [WiFi] Comcast's Public Outdoor Hotspots

Click for full size
WiFi Map for Lincroft, NJ
Click for full size
Outdoor Hotspot View #1
Click for full size
Outdoor Hotspot View #2
said by telcodad:

said by RadioDoc:

[Picture of a strand-mounted Comcast WiFi hotspot]

Yes, that's an example of what Comcast calls an "Outdoor Hotspot."
:

BTW - While I was out and around my town today, I managed to find Comcast's Public Outdoor Hotspot here, as indicated in the center of the map above.
BellSouthBS
join:2002-03-07
Fort Lauderdale, FL

BellSouthBS to fromebnj

to fromebnj

Re: [WiFi] Arris TG862G router not a hotspot

I also received an error. Letting anyone connect to my wireless router represents a major potential security breach for my office.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by BellSouthBS:

I also received an error. Letting anyone connect to my wireless router represents a major potential security breach for my office.

Have you confirmed that your gateway is actually broadcasting the "xfinitywifi" SSID? If so, then according to Comcast’s FAQs page for Xfinity Wi-Fi :
quote:
You will always have the ability to disable the XFINITY WiFi feature on your Wireless Gateway by calling 1-800-XFINITY.
telcodad

telcodad

MVM

Re: [WiFi] Comcast's Public Outdoor Hotspots

A Comcast press release today about "Outdoor Hotspots" becoming activated on Boston's MBTA Green Line:

Comcast Powers Xfinity WiFi Hotspots On Boston's MBTA Green Line On Platforms From North Station To Kenmore
The Nation's Largest and Fastest WiFi Network Now Available for Commuters and Tourists on America's First Subway Line
Comcast Press Release, PR Newswire - July 1, 2014
»www.prnewswire.com/news- ··· 241.html