pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to BillyJoeJim

Premium Member

to BillyJoeJim

[Electrical] Re: New electrical panel failed inspection

In my basement there is no drywall and romex leaves the top of the panel and heads to the joists. The romex is exposed throughout the whole basement.

Possibly this is allowed since the romex is on top of the panel and not able to be damaged easily? (Protected by location?)

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by pende_tim:

In my basement there is no drywall and romex leaves the top of the panel and heads to the joists.

No need for protection if above a certain height where damage is likely to occur. NM below that does require additional protection, usually conduit or a layer of drywall.
BillyJoeJim
join:2003-07-23
Moline, IL

1 edit

BillyJoeJim to pende_tim

to pende_tim
said by pende_tim:

In my basement there is no drywall and romex leaves the top of the panel and heads to the joists. The romex is exposed throughout the whole basement.

Possibly this is allowed since the romex is on top of the panel and not able to be damaged easily? (Protected by location?)

I would say yes, it's likely your romex out of the top of your panel is protected by location. I didn't mean to imply that it's never acceptable to have exposed romex, at my house I have plenty of romex in the basement through the ceiling joists through holes drilled in the joists. My understanding is that it's acceptable to have exposed romex through the ceiling joists, but not acceptable to have it attached to the bottom of the joists (at least where I live anyway).

In any case, I'm not even close to an electrical expert (but I have stayed at a holiday inn express before), and I'm sure Nunya or someone else here who sees these items every day will come through and set it all straight.
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge to garys_2k

Premium Member

to garys_2k
said by garys_2k:

No need for protection if above a certain height where damage is likely to occur. NM below that does require additional protection, usually conduit or a layer of drywall.

When I get home I'll put a piece of drywall up and just to be completely annoying put a "high voltage" caution sign on top of it.
Dodge

Dodge to BillyJoeJim

Premium Member

to BillyJoeJim
said by BillyJoeJim:

Perhaps the comment about the 3-wire circuit attached to a 2-pole breaker is identifying that someone simply used a 2-pole breaker when a single-pole breaker was all that was needed (and simply has nothing connected to one of the poles of the breaker).

No idea what he meant or which breaker he was referring to (I wasn't home at the time of inspection). The electrician is coming back tomorrow to look at it.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV
·StarLink
·HughesNet

2 recommendations

DataDoc to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
said by Dodge:

just to be completely annoying put a "high voltage" caution sign on top of it.

Yeah, that a good idea. Why not poke him in the eye with a stick while you're at it?

If I were you I'd just fix the things that failed and move on.