how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dsl2u

join:2012-05-16
CANADA

Changing IP address

I would like to be able to quickly change my local IP address to another local IP address. Is this possible somehow? When I unplugged the modem it did work but it had to be unplugged for several hours. Surely there is a better way.

jtl999
CEO of Actiontec Dev Team

join:2012-11-24
In the GVRD
kudos:4

Change MAC address?

dsl2u

CANADA

One can use a network card or another computer but it means plugging the wire into a different device every time I think. Not ideal. And often you have to leave it in the new device for many hours before you lose the original IP.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Shaw
reply to dsl2u

What do you mean by change your local IP address?

You want to change your public IP? Or your local, 192.168. IP?

If you want to change your public IP, change the MAC address of the device getting an IP (MAC Clone in most routers, or advanced network properties in Windows/Apple)

If you want to change your local, 192.168. IP, statically set a different one, rather than using DHCP
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

dsl2u

CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

When I go to a site like whatismyip.com it tells me. That's what I need to change to another local IP address. I can use a network card but it means I have to unplug and plug in the LAN cable every time. How can I statically set a different one? I've never been able to change it using network properties but I'm not knowledgeable in this area. I can't just type in any IP I want, right?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

Ok, you are talking about your public IP... What which modem are you using? Are you using your own router? Shaw's modem/router combo unit? Or just a normal modem, Motorola, into your computer?
--

dsl2u

CANADA

Actiontec GT701D is the DSL modem with my own router. The router doesn't matter I think.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

Ok, if you have DSL service, you should probably post in your DSL provider's section here...

Shaw Cable doesn't have any DSL service...

But look in your router's software for a MAC Clone feature, and change it's MAC address. If the actiontek isn't bridged, I don't know of a way to easily get a different IP
--

dsl2u

CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

I would if there was an MTS section here! I'm guessing though this isn't an issue with them so much, rather the modem's technology (how dynamic is that IP) and software that allows you to Disconnect and Connect in seconds to change that IP. Or reset the modem without having to physically unplug and plug it in. That is so nice. Why there isn't a simple reset/power button on these devices is anybody's guess. Its like the manufacturer is refusing to admit that it needs it, that it works flawlessly from the time of purchase to the end of time. Modem and routers should have these reset buttons. And put them on the front, easily accessible!

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

Years back I had MTS DSL, every time the connection 'dialed' I was given a different IP...

Is your router doing the PPPoE connection? Or the modem unit?
--

dsl2u

CANADA
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

The modem. That's where the PPPoE username and password are. In later technology its in the router, right? I talked to my ISP today a little about it and they basically admitted that its a security concern when people can change their IP address easily. So technology is moving away from this feature.

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

If you have your own router, your modem should be put in bridge mode, and using your router to do the PPPoE session

MTS Section:
»MTS

--

dsl2u

CANADA

Is there an advantage to this?

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

No more double-NAT

Internet > NAT router > NAT Router > Device

Lets your router do it's job?
--

dsl2u

CANADA

So as I'm not very network savvy, I have no idea if that helps me acquire a new IP address quickly...:)

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB

It should, then just rebooting your router should change your IP

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Windstream

said by kevinds:

It should, then just rebooting your router should change your IP

Depends on the ISP and even your router, I have seen with Windstream certain routers get the same IP if reconnected within a certain timeframe and then others always get a new IP, and this is with PPPoE
--
IPv6 Sage - ipv6.he.net/certification/scoresheet.php?pass_name=Napsterbater
www.napshome.net

kevinds
Premium
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·Shaw

said by Napsterbater:

Depends on the ISP and even your router,

This is true, and my experience with MTS, is old, so they may have changed this
--
Expand your moderator at work