Search similar:

uniqs
Bigpaddy_Irl
join:2005-12-12
Ireland

Bigpaddy_Irl

Engineering a Backup Link

Hi Guys,
On one of our main wireless links, we have a Ceragon IP-10 which is only capable of 240Mb-260Mb's at peak times, leaving over 90Mb to spare at this uplink which we can not get out.

So I have decided to install an Airfiber 24Ghz link along side the Ceragon Link.

I do not want to use both links at the same time. My plan is to have the Airfiber as the main link, and once the airfiber goes down due to rain, have the Ceragon Link take over.

But I can not decide on how to do this. Perhaps use a switch at both ends with RSTP or have 2 Mikrotik box's at both ends doing some funky stuff?

How would/do you do it?
jimbouse
join:2011-10-01
Bryan, TX

jimbouse

Click for full size
Super simple. Put mikrotik routers on both ends and run OSPF. Give a lower cost to the AirFiber interface. In my case, AirFiber is on Ether6. NanoBridge is on Ether7.
Bigpaddy_Irl
Ireland

Bigpaddy_Irl

Hmm, my scenario isn't as basic as that. I have a trunk running across this link with loads of vlans in it providing ip transit to another isp including an old star-os network I have running rip and on top of that my main mikrotik network running ospf internally.

Smokeshow
Premium Member
join:2009-02-26
Cold Lake, AB

Smokeshow to Bigpaddy_Irl

Premium Member

to Bigpaddy_Irl
Rtsp should work for you. Anywhere we shoot 24ghz long distance, we have a lower freq link as a backup in case of rain fade. Rtsp works very well for our needs. Not quite as complicated as your network, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to Bigpaddy_Irl

MVM

to Bigpaddy_Irl
To expand on jimbouse See Profile's suggestion, you could couple in VPLS between the two MTs and allow routing/MPLS to take care of failover.

Just weight the backup link out of favor within the OSPF configuration.
Bigpaddy_Irl
Ireland

Bigpaddy_Irl

But that would then mean I would have to get 2 more powerful routers at each end as there is other networks going through this link and they are also vlan'd.

Just as easy use the switches that are all ready there?

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

Yeah that is true.

But it would also give you routers in place for a continued migration towards a fully routed network.
Bigpaddy_Irl
Ireland

Bigpaddy_Irl

Way ahead of ya Tom, fully routed already

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
London, UK

TomS_

MVM

Not if you have a link trunking VLANs!! You should be carrying those things in VPLS.
Singular
Premium Member
join:2008-08-13
Shelbyville, KY

Singular to Bigpaddy_Irl

Premium Member

to Bigpaddy_Irl
I've done it using a simple bridge with two mikrotiks on each side and two different cost bridge ports.

Seems to work pretty well and fail over is fairly quick. The one saving grace that makes this work well is the option that makes the AirFiber drop ethernet link in the event of a wireless disconnection.