Search similar:

uniqs
kd6cae
P2p Shouldn't Be A Crime
join:2001-08-27
Bakersfield, CA

kd6cae

[Bakersfield] Brighthouse compared to time Warner cable

Since I used to live in Palmdale, CA where Time Warner cable services that area, and Brighthouse uses the same roadrunner backbone from what I can gather, I just thought I'd give some observations and a question, that I'd love your thoughts on. For Time Warner cable customers, the top internet tier is 100 megabits down, but just 5 megabits up! Our top tier is 90 megabits down, and a sweet 10 megabits upstream. I'm assuming since we have a little overhead, our download is probably equal to Time Warner's in the Socal Time Warner network. So that being said, why isn't Time Warner offering 90/10 to it's customers? Obviously if Brighthouse can do it, I'd think Time Warner who runs the roadrunner backbone that both networks operate over, could do it as well? Finally, should the time Warner/Comcast merge occur, will that effect Brighthouse in any way? Or will our internet traffic just route over Comcast instead of RR when/if the change from time Warner to Comcast occurs? Again these are just some thoughts of mine that I wanted to throw out there, and see what others thought. Thanks.
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

2 recommendations

Aprel

The stock answer is TWC and BHN are two separate companies, irrespective of how intertwined their services are. What one does/offers, the other needn't do/offer.
said by kd6cae:

Finally, should the time Warner/Comcast merge occur, will that effect Brighthouse in any way?

This is a tougher question, because there are contracts involved and severability. It can't be answered without speculation.

mixdup
join:2003-06-28
Alpharetta, GA

mixdup to kd6cae

to kd6cae
BHN/TWC used to be the same company, but the folks who own BHN split off the systems they owned and now they manage them separately, meaning they can offer different speed tiers, etc. The internet backbone has nothing to do with it.
said by kd6cae:

Finally, should the time Warner/Comcast merge occur, will that effect Brighthouse in any way?

The answer to this is yes, but it's impossible to know *how* it will affect BHN. Over time TWC's "way of doing things" will disappear, including their separate internet infrastructure. It'll all get absorbed into Comcast. There are many outcomes (BHN could use Comcast in the same way they've used TWC, BHN could start handling all those functions on their own, BHN could sell their company) but no one knows until it happens (BHN themselves probably don't even really know what they're going to do yet for sure)
kd6cae
P2p Shouldn't Be A Crime
join:2001-08-27
Bakersfield, CA

kd6cae

Thanks for all the responses and thoughts on my questions. I originally wasn't sure if BHN and TWC were ever one company, but figured they may have been at one time, since every BHN connection I've seen both here in Bakersfield, and in Central FL, both went over the rr.com backbone for that area. I'd imagine that should the merge occur with TWC and Comcast, a couple things could happen. Brighthouse could use the Comcast backbone, just as they use rr.com now. Or they could decide to connect directly with one of the big transit providers such as level3 or the like. Or as someone said, they could sell, but yeah we will all just have to wait and see. The network as it is now in my area is working well.