Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

BillRoland

Premium Member

[FL] Ridiculous all day outages

Just ranting: As near as I can tell, Cox internet and phone service has been down over 12 hours for the ENTIRE city of Ocala. The 800 number has been busy for hours. Unbelievably bad service.

Termites
@174.79.1.x

Termites

Anon

Re: [FL] Rediculous all day outages

Get a Credit for the days outage.
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel to BillRoland

Premium Member

to BillRoland

Re: [FL] Ridiculous all day outages

Once again Bill, you saved me a headache. I'm so glad you posted because I had problems all yesterday. No internet practically all day.

Worst part is that the tech support phone number is not working! I don't know what number you called and got through to someone but I called 888-269-9693 and it answers, says that this number is for Verizon but that it is not a working number and then hangs up on me!

So no internet and no phone number to call and let someone know that there is no internet. I'm so angry I should be typing this in all caps!

BillRoland
Premium Member
Ocala, FL

BillRoland

Premium Member

I noticed in the modem logs that the CMTS MAC address changed around 1:30 last night, and service seems to have been restored about 20 minutes later.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

I don't where to find that but this is what I am getting now. I don't know if these are good are bad. Is higher or lower numbers better?

ikyuaoki
join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS

1 recommendation

ikyuaoki

your signals are very good. downstream power level should be -10 to +10 range so your range looks very good. and for upstream power level that should be around up to about 50 dBmV upper range that would be great working for you.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Thanks. So let me see if I understand you right.
1. Down power level between -10 to +10 ... so I guess 0 would be perfect?
2. Up power level should be as close as possible to 50?
3. What is theoretical best for signal to noise ratio?

Just curious. I would just like to have some idea of what I'm looking at and understand it a bit.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA

1 recommendation

odog

Premium Member

1. 0, yes
2. low/mid 40s, you want some wiggle room.
3. most devices "can't" really see past ~38dB. More than anything you're looking for super low BER. Good is considered 10-6th power, with great being 10-8th power.
signcarver
join:2005-03-20
Phoenix, AZ

2 recommendations

signcarver to Sentinel

to Sentinel
1. correct, 0 is considered perfect... I usually aim for between +/-7
2. incorrect... lower is considered better but I have seen problems below 30... what you don't want is much above 50
3. I would guess in theory it would be 1:0 which is impossible but qam 256 generally requires above 30
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel to odog

Premium Member

to odog
Thank you both

BillRoland
Premium Member
Ocala, FL

1 recommendation

BillRoland

Premium Member

And it was down again for over 3 hours. What is going on guys?
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

Yes, it was down again for me too. Is this ALL of Ocala? Because if I remember correctly you and I don't live that close to each other so if we are both down then this must be quite a large outage. Seems back now though.

BillRoland
Premium Member
Ocala, FL

BillRoland

Premium Member

Based on the comments to their Facebook page, its been the entire city.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

I'm glad you made me aware of this. Numerous friends and relatives all over town have called me asking me to 'fix' their computers for them Cox should really be letting people know. Isn't there a network status page somewhere? I can't find it.

But something strange is definitely afoot in the OC(ala). Chinese hackers? Sun spots? Spilled coffee on the entire Ocala network switch? An explanation is owed.