spc
Search similar:

uniqs
chasers36
join:2014-06-12
Hamilton, MT

chasers36

[CenturyTel] CenturyLink 12Mbps connection, SNR Margin questions and sync rates

Ok, I have a story I would like to tell and hopefully someone can help me out here. I live in MT. CenturyLink currently offers 12Mbps download speed connection in my area. When i first signed up, and was connected, my connection, from the start, had a sync rate of 15868 Kbps, an SNR margin of 9.0dB, Line Attenuation of 16dB, and everything was golden! I thought, hey, that's awesome, it automatically put me on a great connection, because my line can handle it.

I recently started rearranging my computer locations, and also did a sweep repair of my entire house wiring, as the current house wiring was very old, and needed to be replaced, and hey i thought doing so might even boost my speed a little bit more. While doing so, i did a lot of reconnecting, and disconnecting of the modem, i power cycled the modem a lot, and did a lot of connecting to different phone lines in my home to test and make sure they worked, only way really, since i only have dsl service, not phone. So, when i get all done doing my testing, i reconnect my modem and it tells me that I am now at an SNR margin of 24dB, and my sync rate has dropped to 12123 Kbps. No problem, being that i'm paying for 12MBps service, thats what it should be. But what i would like to know is, why, in the first place would my connection sync higher than 12MBps, even though thats not what im paying for. I know my line is capable of the highest ADSL2+ can offer, which is 24Mbps. I would just like to know why I'm not being offered it? I have tried numerous times through CenturyLink's chat support to get them to change my SNR margin back to 9.0dB, but they state it cant be done. So, am i to understand, that there is absolutely no way whatsoever for them to fix my DSL profile? and lower my SNR margin back to 9.0dB, since thats what they state it will automatically do anyway? even though thats higher than what im paying for....i dont get it....

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

You want the Attenuation numbers to the low, and the SNR numbers to be high. These numbers are values reported by the modem that reflect the quality of your connection. They cannot be changed remotely. Your sync speed can be remotely adjusted. Changing your wiring will not get you speeds faster than what your profile is set to.

Connect the modem to the test jack at the NID and check the sync speed, attenuation, and SNR. If there is a significant difference from the readings at the current modem location, then you have wiring issues to be resolved. Your wiring upgrades should have included a dedicated run to the modem from the NID.
gapmn
join:2013-11-10
Saint Paul, MN

gapmn to chasers36

to chasers36
Bill is correct. The higher your SNR the better. You don't want it below "9" if possible to avoid retrains. CL has been over-provisioning connections to make up for line losses (so you get what you pay for). Your connection should retrain back to 15+ in a few day if you have no more disconnects.
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw to chasers36

to chasers36
I hadn't heard of this happening on ADSL2+ lines, but it's encouraging to hear that it does/can.

CenturyLink is known to overprovision on VDSL2 lines, 40M customers can be over-provisioned at up to 50 megabits, and 20M customers can be over-provisioned up to (as far as I've seen) 26M.

I haven't heard of it happening on 12M, but I suppose I don't see why it couldn't.

Anyway, if that's what's happening, it'll probably happen again automatically in the next few days. There's not really any way (that they're using) for them to tell whether your line retrained because you unplugged your modem to move it from your kitchen to your office, or if the line retrained because of poor line conditions.

If it was poor conditions, then they want to return your line to your official sync rate, in part because it may actually make your service stable (If you were so far as to not be able to sync at 24M), and also because if there is some other issue, presumably over-provisioning will be a problem? (Not really sure why, but I guess it eliminates a potential factor, for troubleshooting.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to chasers36

to chasers36
Hi chasers26,

Sorry that you're having internet issues. We'd like to have a loook at this. Please email account info + pertinent details here talktous@centurylink.com.

Thank you,
Tom
Social Media Manager
Customer Advocacy
TalkToUs@CenturyLink.com