spc
Search similar:

uniqs

redbeard916
join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA

redbeard916

[Connectivity] Managed switches

Anyone have a recommendation for a very fast 16port managed switch that's not very pricey with ipv6 support as well. Thanks

train_wreck
slow this bird down
join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

»www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-T ··· k+sg2216

picked 1 of these up recently myself (though may be returning soon for a 24-port of the same series)

mahicks
join:2001-06-20
Tallahassee, FL

1 recommendation

mahicks to redbeard916

to redbeard916
train_wreck is right. I have the 2424P which is the same as what he listed but is 24 ports AND POE on the ports. I love it, have no issues. I needed POE for my my IP cam security and it easily allowed me to use POE for a couple of outside wifi AP's.

Since you do not need POE, you can get the 16 port or 24 port for a great price and the switch is ABSOLUTELY rock solid with plenty of features and pretty future proof for the time being.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN

1 recommendation

train_wreck

yep, cheap cheap cheap but rock solid, kinda amazed at the features/price. and it does support transferring IPv6 traffic, but the switch itself doesn't have v6 enabled internally.

gonna look more into TP-link stuff

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Unless you're getting a L3 managed switch I wouldn't worry about IPv6 as IPv6 is a L3 protocol and as such will be passed by any L2 switch.

now if you move to an L3 switch and have it do inter vlan routing then it becomes a concern.

but I think the one linked is just a L2 managed switch and there's no need to make the switch's management interface IPv6.

BTW so did the switch consolidation help lower total power usage as expected? and was 24 ports enough to replace all the small switches?

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by DarkLogix:

BTW so did the switch consolidation help lower total power usage as expected? and was 24 ports enough to replace all the small switches?

yes it did, by a net total of ~25W less than before. and a 16-port was actually enough for my needs, but i'm using all 16, which is why i'm considering swapping it, for future expansion. as well, i'm only using untagged, port-based VLANs, and IPv6 works fine there.

i have noticed, that each actively used port on the device consumes ~.8W, bringing the switch's total usage to around 13-14W if you're using all 16 ports. don't know how much the SFPs would use, since i don't have any of those.

redbeard916
Folsom, CA

1 recommendation

redbeard916

Thanks for the input. I was planning on replacing my router with a managed switch and just using a access point for wireless. But that managed switch needs to be able to hand out Lan ipv6 addresses like my router fully does

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix to train_wreck

Premium Member

to train_wreck
unless you have a need for fiber I wouldn't worry about the SFP's

and taged and untagged are layer 2 so shouldn't be effected by IPv6

if a vlan is taged on a port then it means the layer 2 frame coming out of the port with data for that vlan with have an 802.1q vlan tag marking the frame as being related to that vlan.

if you only have one vlan per port then tagging won't mater, tagging is more for if you want multiple vlans on a single port.

so if say you were to outgrow the 24port switch you'd want a multi vlan port to link 2 managed switches together, normally such a port is called a trunk port and with many vendors it can/will have a "native" vlan which is a vlan passed via that port untagged while all the others are taged.

(If you at some point go to 2 or more managed switches you'd have to be sure the native vlan is the same on all, in cisco there's always a native but you can force the native to be taged to avoid mismatch issues)

anyway still only layer 2 so IP/IPv6 aren't involved.
DarkLogix

1 recommendation

DarkLogix to redbeard916

Premium Member

to redbeard916
said by redbeard916:

Thanks for the input. I was planning on replacing my router with a managed switch and just using a access point for wireless. But that managed switch needs to be able to hand out Lan ipv6 addresses like my router fully does

a managed L2 switch won't hand out IP's only allow the connected router to pass the related data.

though a managed L3 switch could do non-DHCP IPv6 addressing but that's much more costly than a L2 managed switch.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to redbeard916

Premium Member

to redbeard916
said by train_wreck:

yes it did, by a net total of ~25W less than before.

cool
bet it looks even cleaner too.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer to redbeard916

Premium Member

to redbeard916
said by redbeard916:

I was planning on replacing my router with a managed switch and just using a access point for wireless. But that managed switch needs to be able to hand out Lan ipv6 addresses like my router fully does

What kind of account do you have with Comcast?

If you have a Comcast dynamic IP business class account, you can get up to 5 dynamic IPv4 and /128 IPv6 addresses for non router devices.

You can also pay for up to five dynamic IP addresses for residential accounts (but only in certain areas).

In order to get either an IPv6 /64 or /60 PD prefix from Comcast you will need to use a router that is compatible with Comcast's IPv4/IPv6 dual stack. Simply attaching a switch to a standard modem will not do what you want to do unless you only have 4 devices that you want to connect to the switch (the managed switch itself will be counted as one of the maximum of 5 CPE devices that can be connected to the cable modem).

If you have a business class static IP account, you have no choice but to use one of Comcast's gateway (router) boxes.

redbeard916
Folsom, CA

redbeard916

How do I know if my Lan ip's are /60 or 64

It's a residential account.. BTW how do I know if my Lan ip's are /60 or 64 and why not. I know they start with 2601 if that helps.

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

train_wreck

said by redbeard916:

It's a residential account.. BTW how do I know if my Lan ip's are /60 or 64 and why not. I know they start with 2601 if that helps.

oddly enough, under Windows, "ipconfig" from the command line doesn't show prefix lengths, and neither does the GUI for the network adapter details. you can use "route print -6" and it will show you the prefix length.
said by DarkLogix:

cool
bet it looks even cleaner too.

much! pics coming

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

2 recommendations

DarkLogix to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer

Re: [Connectivity] Managed switches

said by NetFixer:

(the managed switch itself will be counted as one of the maximum of 5 CPE devices that can be connected to the cable modem).

only if it has its management interface on the vlan pointed at the modem or is a L3 switch and thus has multiple L3 interfaces

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

1 recommendation

train_wreck

said by DarkLogix:

said by NetFixer:

(the managed switch itself will be counted as one of the maximum of 5 CPE devices that can be connected to the cable modem).

only if it has its management interface on the vlan pointed at the modem or is a L3 switch and thus has multiple L3 interfaces

yes can confirm this, at least with this TP-Link. management interface is enabled on the internal VLAN, and not for the external one that the cable modem is connected to. the switch does not take up 1 of the 5 CPE MACs.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 edits

1 recommendation

NetFixer to redbeard916

Premium Member

to redbeard916

Re: How do I know if my Lan ip's are /60 or 64

said by redbeard916:

If you are asking about the network PD prefix assigned to your router, there is no way I can answer that question (but your LAN is most likely going to be a /64 regardless of the network PD prefix assigned to the router). You will need to look at your router's IPv6 status to get that information. The "why not" (if I understand your question) is because some resi/soho routers don't support a /60 network assignment. If "why not" means why can't a switch do it -- that is not something I am prepared to teach in this forum -- but perhaps someone else might give it a try. Shown below is where I see the PD prefix information on my primary router (D-Link DIR655).

After train_wreck See Profile prodded my memory, I remembered that you can also get the prefix length with the command:

C:\>netsh int ipv6 show route
Querying active state...

Publish  Type       Met  Prefix                    Idx  Gateway/Interface Name
-------  --------  ----  ------------------------  ---  ---------------------
no       Autoconf    16  2601:5:1f00:11e0::/60       4  fe80::1e7e:e5ff:fe4c:e6ff
no       Autoconf     8  2601:5:1f00:11e1::/64       4  Local Area Connection 4
no       Autoconf   256  ::/0                        4  fe80::1e7e:e5ff:fe4c:e6ff

train_wreck
slow this bird down
Antioch, TN
Cisco ASA 5506
Cisco DPC3939

1 recommendation

train_wreck to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix

Re: [Connectivity] Managed switches

said by DarkLogix:

but I think the one linked is just a L2 managed switch and there's no need to make the switch's management interface IPv6.

actually to this, i would think that conceivably, some networks in the future could go IPv6-only, even for their internal LANs, in which case you wouldn't be able to access this switch, or at least you'd still have to keep v4 enabled if you wanted to connect to the management interface of the switch.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

1 edit

1 recommendation

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by train_wreck:

said by DarkLogix:

actually to this, i would think that conceivably, some networks in the future could go IPv6-only, even for their internal LANs, in which case you wouldn't be able to access this switch, or at least you'd still have to keep v4 enabled if you wanted to connect to the management interface of the switch.

In that case I would bet they might keep a IPv4 management setup inplace.

IE have a management VLAN that's isolated for security but that has v4 addressing, but by that time I'd bet we'll see more switches in that category with v6 capable management interfaces.

etherway its along time off from when that'll be important.