Search similar:

uniqs

Kuro
@75.151.50.x

1 recommendation

Kuro

Anon

Data cap

Let me guess, it wont count against their datacap. That's honestly the best and only way they can compete with something like YouTube.
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Well if they have a "container" like parental controls, who can watch (groups), etc and make it easy by saying using goog, facebook, etc API or login then there is real value there, in addition to not counting against caps.

Now since this is a corporation with voters (customers), this will need to be conservative and controlled otherwise the lawsuits will fly.

Most of these companies love the brand, they just can't stomach the liability--and hence the 100% failure rate.

I won't let my kids near facebook or youtube without supervision.
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to Kuro

to Kuro
Why would this count against your cap? It will be built into VoD which is a cable channel/service
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

Why wouldn't it? It's data flowing over the DOCSIS portion of the connection, isn't it? I think the point of somebody asking about the data cap is that Comcast is setting up this service such that it has what many will (correctly) consider to be an unfair advantage over YouTube. A 20-minute 1080p video (about a gig) can incur a fair amount of a data cap these days, and you don't need to watch many of them before you're using a fairly large chunk of data.

It will be interesting to see how this service goes. It's one of the few "in-network" attempts at something like this that I can remember in recent memory, but Comcast has a really huge amount of customers, so it could actually gain a lot of traction. (which is both "neat" and actually sort of sad.)
BosstonesOwn
join:2002-12-15
Wakefield, MA

BosstonesOwn

loophole is using it as vod. which is quite fair, however if they start to charge for off network bandwidth but not on network then we are getting closer to the walled garden they want, so they can sell us stuff.
Bengie25
join:2010-04-22
Wisconsin Rapids, WI

Bengie25 to ITGeeks

to ITGeeks
ISPs should be required to count all data going across your Internet line to count towards your cap. The 5mhz the use to serve digital TV could be used to serve about 30mb/s of Internet.

So watching TV should count as 30mb/s. One hour of TV would be 13GB and it should count towards your data cap.

So what I'm saying is data caps should apply to the infrastructure as a whole, not just the Internet.