StyxKee
join:2001-07-05
GTA, Canada

StyxKee to Davesnothere

to Davesnothere

Re: [Firefox] Firefox 30

said by Davesnothere:

AFAIK, TMP does not work with FF 29+.

That alone would be a deal-breaker for me, but there were other UI oddities which I experienced/endured, on the day when I tried FF 29.0.1.

If you do not mind a bit of tinkering of TMP, you will find the instructions on page 75 of the TMP Dev Build Forum about half way down the page (read WildcatRay's summary of Chris000001's edits/modifications).

Here is the link to the page. The edit works great for me:
»tmp.garyr.net/forum/view ··· 0#p65047

Racerbob
Premium Member
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY

Racerbob

Premium Member

Non geeks do not wish to tinker. That is the point I was trying to make. The developers at Mozilla seem to want to make people tinker to get things that they are used to using to work.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere to StyxKee

Premium Member

to StyxKee
said by StyxKee:

said by Davesnothere:

AFAIK, TMP does not work with FF 29+.

That alone would be a deal-breaker for me, but there were other UI oddities which I experienced/endured, on the day when I tried FF 29.0.1.

If you do not mind a bit of tinkering of TMP, you will find the instructions on page 75 of the TMP Dev Build Forum about half way down the page (read WildcatRay's summary of Chris000001's edits/modifications).

Here is the link to the page. The edit works great for me:
»tmp.garyr.net/forum/view ··· 0#p65047

Thanks for that permalink.

I forgot to go there and read the post until yesTURDay, while reviewing this thread.

LOOOONG thread at that link !

Fortunately though, I had only the day before discovered that the author of Tab Mix Plus had revised it to play nice with the new and notorious Australis UI, so I did not need to read all of it.

And just before THAT, I had been feeling bored, so I had already done a fresh install of FireFox 30 Portable edition, to show my sense of openmindedness by testing Australis one last time, and as I was curious about how it would behave if it was tamed by 'Classic Theme Restorer'.

After adding CTR to the nasty-looking FF30 and restarting, I was pleasantly surprised by the resultant instant retromorph, and by most of CTR's defaults.

After tinkering a bit, I decided to investigate which of my usual add-ons were compatible, and among them, I did a search for Tab Mix Plus, and I got a hit which was not greyed out !

So I installed, and it turns out that the newest TMP (and all of my other few add-ons) work with FF30.

Also working were a couple of lines of CSS which I had been using to manipulate earlier FireFox's menues to look like even EARLIER FireFox's menues.

= = = = =

"So Dave", the readers all exclaimed impatiently, "What exactly are you saying ?"

= = = = =

What I am saying, folks, is that if I could only discover one or two significant redeeming improvements in FF 29+ (with CTR added of course) which made MY web browsing experience better/easier than before FF29, without changing how I do things, nor changing my layout much after tweaking, and fully supporting my other few add-ons, that I might be prepared to conduct a longer test of it.

= = = = =

"Dream on !", said the naysayers in the peanuts gallery.

= = = = =

Yes, I realize full well that I am asking a lot here, but it is also a major concession from my most recent previous position about the new 'AustralisFox'.

Anyway, there WERE a few things on my wish list even for FireFox 28-, and so I decided to see whether Australis/CTR might deliver.

Wish #1 was that I had wanted to use even less vertical space at the top of my window for my controls, but WITHOUT HIDING ANYTHING, and with my TABs still NOT 'On Top'.

So far, I had previously merged all of the elements of my Navigation bar into my Menu bar, and turned off the Nav bar, and had been happy with that arrangement for nearly a year in FireFox 10, 14, and then 24esr and PaleMoon 24.x series.

What if I could get rid of the Title bar ? (as I generally know what page I am browsing, and if I ever forgot, I could just scroll to the top of whatever page)

It turns out that FF Australis/CTR let me hide the Title bar (though not the Navigation bar, and I'll get to that in a bit).

When I did so, everything which was part of my Menu bar (including the former Nav bar elements, remember ?) all smartly moved to the top row, and the CTR Menu button was at the far left in the same row.

K00L !

Now about the Nav bar not being hide-able - I simply went to 'Customize', and moved all of the elements of my Bookmarks bar to the empty Nav bar, and then turned off the now-empty Bookmarks bar.

One other side issue was that some of the buttons became hard to see on the default navy blue top bar, so I looked at some simple, what they call 'solid' themes, found several which used lighter colours, and chose one - issue solved.

Recap :

Move all of yer stuff onto the bars which you cannot hide, and hide any empty bars which you can.

Summary :

I saved about 20% of the vertical space of my top bars, given back to the web page content, and did not hide/remove any controls.

Now I have only 3 - Menu/Nav, Bookmarks, Tabs.

To me, THIS qualifies as significant.

Gonna play some more, and will likely have another update soon.

Cheers !
Davesnothere

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Click for full size
HERE is how FireFox 30 looks now, in a full screen grab of my 1280x1024 native res monitor ^^^

Displayed are the other few add-ons which I already use, plus 'Classic Theme Restorer' and 'Throbber Restored'.

I also decided to test 'Personal Menu', as I have been using 'Movable FireFox Button' (from the same author) with my earlier FireFox and with PaleMoon.

The 'FireFox Button' which you see above belongs to the 'Personal Menu' add-on, is editable and movable, and I have turned off the one which belongs to 'Classic Theme Restorer'.

No browser elements were hidden.

The Windows task bar is on the LEFT-hand side, a 10+ year thing with me.

Please note how much height that there is for the web page content.