spc
uniqs

fiosultimate
join:2014-06-09
San Antonio, TX

fiosultimate to JakCrow

to JakCrow

Re: There's not even a point of an activation fee

So?it doesnt cost 600 dollars to manufacture an iphone5s it cost about 200 but people still go to the apple store and pay that much, whatever the market will put up with, and att has been around for a while, so they must be doing something right
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

Except most people don't pay the full price. They pay the contract price.

So the cost is obscured and phone prices are inflated much higher than they would be if they were sold like any other consumer electronics product.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

1 recommendation

morbo to fiosultimate

to fiosultimate
said by fiosultimate:

att has been around for a while, so they must be doing something right

Former monopoly and current duopoly = doing something right?

Edrick
I aspire to tell the story of a lifetime
Premium Member
join:2004-09-11
San Diego, CA

Edrick to fiosultimate

Premium Member

to fiosultimate
Uhh two completely different things, one is a virtual service that is more or less done automatically via a computer system which we pay into monthly as our cell phone cost and another is a physical device which part out cost has no effect on retail cost as there's R&D, Marketing, Prototyping and other aspects that go into it and it's not a service we pay monthly into.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss to fiosultimate

Premium Member

to fiosultimate
That's a bad comparison, one is a physical product while the original discussion is about a service fee for a service, you know, that keeps the service making money...

fiosultimate
San Antonio, TX

fiosultimate

Att needs to keep building for example and mainting physical cell phone towers for cell phone service to work with them, apples and oranges are still fruits

Edrick
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

Uhhh did you miss the part where we already pay them a monthly service fee that should cover these? Have you bothered looking at their profits?
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to Edrick

to Edrick
Yes because no other consumer electronics device has those same R&D and marketing costs, and that explains why only cell phones are sold at 200% margins relative to their BoM.

Not.

fiosultimate
San Antonio, TX

fiosultimate to Edrick

to Edrick
There is no such thing as too many profits, it is legal

cork1958
Cork
Premium Member
join:2000-02-26

1 recommendation

cork1958 to fiosultimate

Premium Member

to fiosultimate
said by fiosultimate:

So?it doesnt cost 600 dollars to manufacture an iphone5s it cost about 200 but people still go to the apple store and pay that much, whatever the market will put up with, and att has been around for a while, so they must be doing something right

"it doesnt cost 600 dollars to manufacture an iphone5s it cost about 200 but people still go to the apple store and pay that much"

That just proves how many stupid people there are in the world!

Man, I wish AT&T and Verizon would just blow up!
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to sonicmerlin

Premium Member

to sonicmerlin
Apple has been doing just fine with its "premium" products for a few decades now. What's wrong with charging what the market is willing to pay?
openbox9

openbox9 to Edrick

Premium Member

to Edrick
Do you come out ahead each month with your paycheck? If so, how dare you make money.

Edrick
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

Yes because my paycheck is totally the same as ATT constantly increases fees so their CEO and executives can make millions more. You people really are daft if you think people being against being raped with fees is the same as saying they can't make a profit.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

Do you occasionally earn pay raises? Where do you think those pay raises ultimately come from? So you're ok with companies making profit, just not too much? Perhaps we should regulate how much companies and individuals can earn.

BTW, you appear to have a distorted definition of rape.

Edrick
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

You can continue to pay all the additional bellow the line fees you want. But watch out pal if I see you complain ever about an increase inservice costs I'll be waiting

I can tell this conversation with you is pointless.

JakCrow
join:2001-12-06
Palo Alto, CA

JakCrow to fiosultimate

to fiosultimate
Except most people get phones on subsidy, which at least gives the illusion of lower prices, while some vendors are actually undercutting and undermining the industry by selling new phones for half the price as everyone else. Telcom is one of the last markets that gives a damn about what "the market will put up with", especially when "the market" has the same or close to the same activation charges on all providers and customers have little choice in the matter.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9 to Edrick

Premium Member

to Edrick
For the record, I despise below the line fees and believe they should not be allowed, period. My service providers raise rates occasionally, and while I don't like that fact, I do see increases for what they are.

Even though you dodged my questions, is this still a pointless conversation for you?

Edrick
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

ATT is allowed to do what they want, we're allowed to call them out for what it is. Not this BS oh it's required due to the resources of activating phones. If anything it should be cheaper now than it was to activate phones. But it's not for activation of the phones as it's about more corporate profits.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

So if AT&T had said, "we want to make more money so we're raising our activation fees" you would've been satisfied?

Edrick
Premium Member
San Diego, CA

Edrick

Premium Member

Yes
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to openbox9

to openbox9
The market isn't bearing the full cost of these devices. It's hidden behind subsidies and network frequency bands.
openbox9
Premium Member

openbox9

Premium Member

So? It's being paid for and the consumer continues going back for more, and more.