uniqs
Sentinel
Premium Member
join:2001-02-07
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

How to move files?

I don't know if this is the correct forum for this but here goes...
I have a Motorola Droid Razr M. I just tried to move a few pics from the internal phone storage to the SD card and, for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to do this. I have to assume that it is possible to do this and I am just not seeing it.

Can someone please tell me what the heck I am missing? Or is it really possible that you just can not move files from the internal storage to the SD card?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I don't have your phone, but in my file manager I just copy/cut and paste to a different location. You have a Hellizon phone so who knows.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to Sentinel

MVM

to Sentinel
Use a "file manager" app. The phone may have come with one pre-installed, otherwise, download "ES File Explorer" or similar. Then do as BlitzenZeus says, cut & paste.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

DUH. I never thought of cut and paste. I do have a file manager app but I was looking for an option called "move" or something. It allows me to select items but then I saw no option for "move to" or "copy to". I'll check to see if there is a cut and paste option.

Thanks guys.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

I have Root Explorer and it has both (move/cut or copy/copy)

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME

1 edit

lordpuffer to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
I use ES File Explorer to move files.

»play.google.com/store/ap ··· roid.pop
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

es is best because it does not need root or astro is also a good one
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

I appreciate the suggestions for additional apps to accomplish my goal, but I really would like to do it with what I already have first if that is possible. There is a file manager feature in this phone and I really feel like it should have this kind of functionality in it, if I can find it.

I tried again and there is no copy or cut. If I select a file it says "please choose a destination" and then has a "move" button on top, but offers no means of choosing a destination that I can see. I don't see anywhere where I can tell it where to move it but yet has a move button. So I'm guessing that there must be a way to choose a destination and then press that 'move' button but I'm just not seeing it.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

Hall

MVM

What do you have ? If it's an app created by (Motorola ? can't remember what phone you have now), only people with the same app can help.

I would take a test picture and experiment...

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to Sentinel

Premium Member

to Sentinel
Most of the native file managers aren't bad but Total Commander is excellent and free, my favorite/ Very capable and flexible. .
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
Yeah, that's what I did. I have a pic/file and I select it but it just does not seem to have any option after selecting it.
I was hoping that there was someone familiar with this file manager from Motorola and that this was an obvious thing that I was just missing. I guess I underestimated the number of DSLR users that have a Moto phone and/or try to move files using this default app

Perhaps there just is no way to do it. Not a tremendous deal. I can plug the phone in to my PC and move it via USB cable. It's just a pain and easier if I could just move the files from internal storage to SD then take out the SD card and pop it in to something else.

I just assumed that the ability to move files from one storage to another would be built in functionality in any phone without the need for third party apps. Seems like something that should be built in and pretty obvious. Guess I was wrong.

But thanks for your help. Very much appreciated.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Not sure why you would even want to use the stock file manager app. One of the beauties of Android is having the freedom to give the middle finger to the manufactures and carriers and doing and using whatever the hell you want. I've mainly used HTC phones, which come with no native file manager app, every single one I installed Astro. My only non HTC phone was a Razr M and the stock file management app SUCKED.

While I like the UI of Astro better, now I primarily use ES File Explorer because when connected to the wifi at work Astro had problems exploring to hidden network shares, ES handles it much better, and I can copy/paste files from my Google Drive and Microsoft One Drive accounts to my phone just like I did with Astro.

What have you go to lose by trying ES or Astro?

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall to Sentinel

MVM

to Sentinel
Samsung phones, at least the S3 and S4 came with a very lame file manager as well. It was unintuitive enough that I think it was this way by design, to keep people from using it much. I paid for Root Explorer so I use it as my main file manager. I used to use Astro but they made some major UI changes that made it "prettier" but not functionally better. ES is still good, IMO, and what I install on other people's phone when they ask me for help.
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
No particular reason other than I have had this phone for over a year and this is the first time I have tried to move a file. So I don't really have a need per se. And all I want to do is move a file. I can't really see the point in a file manager if it can't do that. Therefore I feel like this simple function must be in here but I'm just not seeing it. If it is a file manager and you can't move a file with it then what is its purpose really? What is it there for?

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

1 recommendation

Hall

MVM

Long-press the file and see if a menu pops up
Sentinel
Premium Member
Florida

Sentinel

Premium Member

BINGO! That did it. The command changed from move to paste. Now I could navigate to the SD card and paste it.
Many thanks for sticking with me until you figured this out. Very very much appreciated.
Sentinel

Sentinel to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
Interesting. It seems that this is a 'thing' and I'm not the only one experiencing this kind of phenomena.

»KitKat and File transfers

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

That's unrelated - a) you were able to move a file or files and b) your phone isn't rooted (which is suggested it necessary)