Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
kudos:4

2 edits

[Firefox] NewTab just shows ads [RESOLVED]

Click for full size
Up until a few hours ago, my new tab page showed thumbnails of recently visited sites. Now this is what I see. Is there a way to restore the old behavior?

I thought they had abandoned this plan...

»www.neowin.net/news/mozilla-ditc···tab-page

Thanks.

Edit: Turns out it was a rogue extension (SpeedDial) causing this. Not a change in Firefox. Problem solved.

--
"It turns out we're very good at not seeing things" - Jack Hitt

Racerbob
Premium
join:2001-06-24
Webster, NY
kudos:1

Re: [Firefox] NewTab just shows ads

Yes they are ads, but no they are not ads. They are what I read that Mozilla said that they would do as far as promoting different websites on the new tab page. I am sure that those websites are lining Mozilla's pockets, but we have to remember that their products are free to us.

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to jmorlan

I use Tab Mix Plus to make a New Tab just about:blank. You can also set browser.newtab.url in about:config to about:blank.

Anyway, I very rarely click on New Tab anyway.. I just click on the bookmark or link that I want to go to or type the address in the URL bar which loads it into a new tab.

AZinOH

join:2007-04-25
Swanton, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to jmorlan

Out of those 11 sites, there are 8 that I simply will never use. 1 I will use to view an occasional video but I will never sign in. 1 I used to make two purchases of items I already knew I wanted...and the second time I got burned, so never again. The last site is one that I have previously used with success, again to buy an item I already knew I wanted (what I'm saying is that they are wasting their time trying to advertise to me). It was supposed to be delivered yesterday but didn't arrive. It better come today or I may cross this last site off this list as well.

I also set the new tabs to be blank, so I never see this shit.

AZ

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to jmorlan

Just wanted to verify a few things.

1) What Version of Firefox is this? Is this 29.0.1 or 30.0.0?

2) What happens if you type "about:newtab" into the address bar? Do you get the same screen that you posted?

If #2 is true, then my theory about what Mozilla was going to modify to put that functionally into place is true. I talk about that in this thread

»[Firefox] Remember the plan for ads on New Tab Pages ?

Specifically, this post

»Re: [Firefox] Remember the plan for ads on New Tab Pages ?

If by putting in "about:newtab" causes that screen to come up, then the fix is as simple as I've said in that thread (which, MarkRH See Profile has already pointed out). Change the Preference Name "browser.newtab.url" value to be something other then "about:newtab" to either "about:blank" (as they have done), or what I have done, which is to set it to a specific webpage (in my case, I have it be google).

As long as that is all Mozilla will be doing with this, AND as long as we, as end users, can still modify the Preference Name "browser.newtab.url" to be whatever we want, then I don't see this as a problem. It is when they take away that ability for us to modify that preference name that we will have an issue.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to jmorlan

Firefox risks user backlash by adding search box to new tab page

quote:
Firefox risks user backlash by adding search box to new tab page
»www.infoworld.com/d/applications···e-244291

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
Pacifica, CA

Thanks for the article siljaline See Profile.

But that's not exactly what I'm seeing. The new entries for new tab appeared yesterday when I was still running Firefox v29. I did an internal update to v30 and the ads are still there. Up until yesterday I was seeing thumbnails of my most commonly visited pages; a feature I thought was useful. Those thumbnails have completely disappeared for me.

Furthermore, the new search bar on the new tab page does not use my default search engine which is Google, but instead uses Yahoo! I have never set Yahoo! as my preferred or default search engine anywhere in Firefox.

The article suggests that the new feature is slated for v31 in July and in the current beta releases.

Questions:

1. Why am I seeing this feature now in v30, when it's not expected until next month? I am not running, and never run beta versions of Firefox.

2. What happened to my commonly used website thumbnails and how can I get them back?

3. Why is the new tab search bar using a different search engine from the one I have set as my default and how can I change it?

4. Is everybody seeing this or is it just me?
--

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

You're most welcome jmorlan See Profile Other than tweaking [about:home] to help render Google.com correctly as your defined search engine, you've got me there as I'm not seeing ads on new Tabs on FF 30.0.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
Premium,MVM
Pacifica, CA

1 recommendation

Thanks again. Turns out it was a rogue extension causing this. Not a change in Firefox. Problem solved and original post updated.
--