Search similar:

uniqs
Wall_e
join:2014-06-12
Freeland

Wall_e

VPN VPN hardware solution

Greetings...
I do hope I am in the right forum, and this is my first post here, so please be patient with me

Here is my question: what would be a good solution for a VPN ( hardware based ) from my home to my "device" when I am away from home? Here is an example: I need my PS3 to get into my home network, and get a local LAN IP from my home network.
Thank you all in advance.
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen

Premium Member

Not familiar with the PS3 product other than it's a game platform. The first thing I think you need to find out is can the PS3 run any kind of VPN client software on its platform?
Wall_e
Freeland

Wall_e

Well, not really. I need a kind of a router with VPN, where I can log into, then connect to home VPN, and get a home network IP; at this point I will have the PS3 connected via a LAN cable to this router. For PS3 this would be transparent. Nothing that needs to be installed on it.
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to Wall_e

Premium Member

to Wall_e
Site to site VPN connections can be difficult to setup, especially if one endpoint will be changing from time to time. Suitable hardware will have a price tag as well. Another potential pitfall is what the available network speeds will be at both ends, both up/down. Low end VPN routers cannot provide full network speed over the tunnel, sometimes losing about 1/3rd of the max. speed. If the upload speed at one or both ends is very low for starters, such as DSL, then VPN may not be practical.
Wall_e
Freeland

Wall_e

I do agree with you, but I do not know which other route to take for my situation. I have at home 5 Mbps upload, and is fairly stable. On the "traveling" end, I do not know what I will encounter, true. It could be LTE, it could be LAN .... What would you suggest ?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Wall_e

MVM

to Wall_e
Is this rough sketch correct in what you're wanting to do?

PS3 -> hardware device X -> "on the go" internet connection -> your home ISP -> hardware device X -> your home network

Secondly, what's your situation / rationale for doing this? One would think your playstation console doesn't need to
travel any further than sitting at your home, or do you take it out on the road alot?

More information is definately needed, but I echo aguen See Profile 's sentiments about setting up a site to site VPN.

We'd also need to know the following :
- exact internet speeds and types on both ends of this connection -- "could be" doesn't help us much.
- your budget
- your level of technical expertise
- what do you expect for support for your problems / questions? Google-fu? Late Night Seance? Paidfor phone / in person?
Something else?
- any other requirement(s) for this equipment.

My 00000010bits

Regards
Wall_e
Freeland

Wall_e

OK, here is the deal: PS3 has just launched an application that will allow me to watch Dish Network, IF I am connected to my home network (192.168.x.x) and the Playstation acts like a "Joey". I am traveling quite a bit, and I do not want to watch my Dish channels on a phone. PS3 does the job quite nicely (on my home network). Now, the speed thing: I have 5 Mbps upload at home, and is quite stable. Download (on the go portion) is a different story. In most places I do get at least 5 Mbps download. I do understand that there is some overhead with any VPN, and I might see 3 Mbps at worst (?) - that should be sufficient (although not great ). Budget ? depending on solution I can shuffle a few hundreds. Technical expertise: average self taught IT person. Support ? I can read if needed... I do not expect some vendor to offer decent support, and I hate to repeat the question over and over on a bad connection overseas. Any other requirements: none that I can think of now. Overall, this is mostly a learning experience for me also, and if in the end will work at a decent level, that would be a plus.
Thanks for all your good advice.
aguen
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to Wall_e

Premium Member

to Wall_e
I see where DISH also supports a couple of different "Sling" options as well to enable remote viewing of their live or your dvr/hopper recordings. Have you looked into one of these? These may be the better option.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to Wall_e

to Wall_e
how do they know what your public ip is? it seems odd they would know it, not sure why you would need any of this

that said on direct tv i can just watch everything through my laptop
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul

said by LittleBill:

how do they know what your public ip is?

Every server needs to know your IP or it wouldn't know where to send anything. lol Try something like whatsmyip and you'll see yours.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

My point is, unless he subscribes to dish internet or something where dish can actually track he is at his house, what stops him from simply firing up the app in a hotel somewhere?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to Wall_e

MVM

to Wall_e
said by Wall_e:

PS3 has just launched an application that will allow me to watch Dish Network, IF I am connected to my home network (192.168.x.x)

Okay, question answered, and thanks for supplying the other information.

Off the top of my head, if you don't have any other options and insist on doing this, here's some
gear / mfrs names to look into :

- the cheapest AND smallest option I know of is Ubiquiti Edgemax Router Lite at $100USD, a very capable
device, but definately NOT for the faint of heart.

- 1st or 2nd hand equipment from vendors such as HP, Juniper, Cisco, Zyxel, Netgear, etc. The key
word you're looking for in the specs sheet is "VPN," specifically site to site VPN. I can't give you
an exact price range as the equipment is so variable. Also be aware equipment can be 1U in size or
bigger, so not exactly as portable as your PS3 on the go.

- a decomm'd PC or smallform PC running a *nix router / firewall distro, or Untangle, or Vyatta, or
Astaro Security Gateway. All of them should be able to do a site to site VPN configuration.

My 00000010bits.

Regards
Wall_e
Freeland

Wall_e

Ok....sorry for the delay in replying...been out of town.
Here is what I've understood how the new PS3 deal works:
a) Dish has their equipment named HOPPER - the main unit that distributes the video feed to a JOEY - a satellite receiver ( not a real receiver ) which works over coax cable on MoCA
b) the new system will work on IP based system rather than a MoCA
c) "JOEY" needs to be in the same subnet, so the "master HOPPER" knows where to send the feed to its "slave" unit - PS3 in this case.
e) can I use a Sling ? yes. Is the quality and functionality the same like in PS3? Absolutely not - in fact is so bad and clunky that is against logic some times.
f) can I see it on my computer directly? Of course - Dish already have a player for this. Why am I not doing this ? Well, is too easy, and as I mentioned is a learning experience for me, and also I really like testing things that are not main stream
g) why hardware based ? because I (mostly) like to set and forget;
HELLFIRE - thanks ! this is pretty much the answer I was looking for. At least I know where to start now.
Again, this is a learning experience for me. I do not smoke, drink, or gamble...so I need to waste some of my money on something - if something good comes out of it ( learning experience, or even a functional system) then is all good. Appreciate all the good advice and will keep y'all posted on how's it going.