spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Raides

join:2004-09-27

D-Link AC1750: How do I disable the Optimum WiFi hotspot?

As stated in the title.

I don't like my (admittedly Optimum-provided) router being used as an Optimum hotspot and I want to turn it off but I can't see how. My Google-Fu is turning up nothing and I can't see a setting in the router itself.

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3

1 recommendation

You can't. Either accept it or return the router.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to Raides
You can't. Its one of those things you accept by using their router.

broadbandmav

join:2014-01-08
New Rochelle, NY
reply to Raides
Return it to the Optimum store, and get a real router that you can manage yourself.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
said by broadbandmav:

Return it to the Optimum store, and get a real router that you can manage yourself.

What does the Optimum router not do that you'd need a "real router" for?

Boooost

@151.190.40.x
said by limegrass69:

What does the Optimum router not do that you'd need a "real router" for?

As you can see from the OP's message, the Optimum router does not allow disabling of the Optimum WiFi hotspot. That's what the Optimum router does not do.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
The fact that you can't disable the optimumwifi SSID on Optimum's (free) managed router does not mean it's not a "real router". broadbandmav See Profile stated that the OP should get a "real router." So what about the D-Link isn't a real router?

dm145

join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

1 recommendation

facetious

Boooost

@151.190.40.x

1 recommendation

reply to limegrass69
said by limegrass69:

So what about the D-Link isn't a real router?

It has software that's locked down and has a feature that is not under user control. A real router would not suffer from this deficiency.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to limegrass69
I have a Siemens SpeedStream 4100. It is, technically, a "residential gateway". Even though it's DHCP block is just one IPv4 IP address, I can manually assign any other IPv4 address within the scope of 192.168.0.0/16, and it will route.

But hyperbolically, and facetiously, it is not a "real" router, in that I only have very limited control over its functions.

I currently have a D-Link router in place of my ISP leased Pace residential gateway. It has greater user control than either the SpeedStream, or the Pace; but I did not get it for its router functionality. In fact, as I used them in bridged mode, I basically had turned off their router functions (as much as "bridging") for each device allowed).

While they are, literally, "real" routers, I never used them as such, nor do I even think of them as such. To me they are just "dumb" DSL modems; two of which (the SpeedStream and the Pace) were crippled by the respective issuing ISP specifications.

If it was issued by an ISP, likely the device was crippled by the ISP in its firmware specifications.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum