uniqs
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

1 edit

iknow_t to joewho

to joewho

Re: [Tools] Power Washer

said by joewho:

I can see through the main jet. The needle valve was sticking so I cleaned that real good and the cavity until the valve slid in and out smoothly. I put it back together and it won't start. lol. It will kick over with a shot of cleaner, but the spark plug is still dry. Is it worth it to try and get all the yellow shit off? I need more than a can of cleaner and a rag. I can shoot cleaner into the main jet and see it coming out the other end. Same with intake holes. The needle valve is easy. I can see daylight though the hole, whoever mentioned that. Thoroughly clean all the way around. It bumps over with a shot of cleaner, so I don't know what else to do within my capability. Fk it, new carb? Would it fire on carb cleaner from compression only? Or does the cleaner need spark?

did you look here? »www.justanswer.com/small ··· rns.html also, is the float bowl filling with gas?? BTW, if the spark plug don't get wet when you try to start it, and it don't start, it's not getting gas!.
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to joewho

to joewho
needs spark, spark is almost never the problem on a small motor, 99% of the time its been a fuel issue for me.

is the float bowl full when you take it off?, did u do the trick with the bowl off?

is the throttle all the way open or in choke? is there a primer button?
joewho
Premium Member
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

I didn't even have my wife pull the stupid rope while I hold a screwdriver to the plug wire. That's why I asked if cleaner will ignite on compression only. Yes, the float bowl has gas in it. There's a separate choke, all the way open and the throttle is all the way open. No primer bulb. If I could turn a key and crank the hell out of it I would. But yanking on it like a monkey isn't working. . I got the impression that no gas is getting to the cylinder. It's been sitting a long time, so who knows what's going on. At least when it kicked over the pump cranked out some spray.
LittleBill

LittleBill

choke should be all the way closed

if you can get it running with choke cleaner do it, alot of the times the vacuum from the motor will get fuel to it.

honestly it should start especially if the jets are open like your saying even if a vent line was blocked it should run for a bit

if you want to redneck it , take off the recoil start, take a impact gun and a find a socket that will fit the flywheel, make shift electric start, shouldn't need too though

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium Member
join:2001-02-13
Bulger, PA

1 recommendation

tp0d to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
Take the carb off, and submerge in SeaFoam for 12-24hrs, it will eat away any bad stuff.. Run some seafoam in the gas to clean stuff out

-j
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho to iknow_t

Premium Member

to iknow_t
Good link _t. I'll try one more time today. To be perfectly honest, I did not notice that the nut holding on the cup has a jet in it. I bet that's the problem.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
FWIW, you can start it without turning the water on. At least you wont be building pump pressure and your wife doesnt have to hold the handle open.
iknow_t

iknow_t

said by rody_44:

FWIW, you can start it without turning the water on. At least you wont be building pump pressure and your wife doesnt have to hold the handle open.

THAT WILL WEAR OUT THE PUMP!! it requires water for lubrication!!.
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

That's it then. I'm done. Did everything in my power. The damn thing simply won't put gas in the engine. F,king gas everywhere else, just not in the engine. I did shoot some gas in the head and it started right up. Even better than using cleaner. So, I already ordered a new carb. 70 bucks all together. Even if it ran, I'd still have to get new gaskets and seals. June 23 is delivery date, will follow up then, or, since i just can't leave it alone, maybe something will happen between then and now....
I have bad rotator cuffs and pulling on the son of a bitch has messed me up a bit. Thanks for all your help.
LittleBill

LittleBill

sorry that it didn't work joe, we tried
iknow_t

iknow_t to joewho

to joewho
said by joewho:

That's it then. I'm done. Did everything in my power. The damn thing simply won't put gas in the engine. F,king gas everywhere else, just not in the engine. I did shoot some gas in the head and it started right up. Even better than using cleaner. So, I already ordered a new carb. 70 bucks all together. Even if it ran, I'd still have to get new gaskets and seals. June 23 is delivery date, will follow up then, or, since i just can't leave it alone, maybe something will happen between then and now....
I have bad rotator cuffs and pulling on the son of a bitch has messed me up a bit. Thanks for all your help.

when it works, and you store it for the winter, dump any gas in the tank into a can, and them run the engine until it stops, then you know it's completely dry of gas, and also, get any water out of the pump and lines, gun, etc. so it won't crack..

quartergap
@50.138.50.x

quartergap to joewho

Anon

to joewho
:looks like you have the answer yes no for spark, but just fyi, here's the quick test:

remove the wire from the tip of the spark plug,

stick a 1/4" diameter screwdriver inside the clip at the end of the wire,
so the screwdriver touches the clip inside the wire cap,
then hold the screwdriver 1/4" from the engine chassis,
pull the start cord or run the starter,
you should see a spark jump across the 1/4" air gap, once per revolution.

if not, the most likely cause of loss of spark is bad connection between that clip at the end of the wire and the fiber core of the wire, so if no spark, try cleaning the clip and reorienting the wire core.
iknow_t

iknow_t

said by quartergap :

:looks like you have the answer yes no for spark, but just fyi, here's the quick test:

remove the wire from the tip of the spark plug,

stick a 1/4" diameter screwdriver inside the clip at the end of the wire,
so the screwdriver touches the clip inside the wire cap,
then hold the screwdriver 1/4" from the engine chassis,
pull the start cord or run the starter,
you should see a spark jump across the 1/4" air gap, once per revolution.

if not, the most likely cause of loss of spark is bad connection between that clip at the end of the wire and the fiber core of the wire, so if no spark, try cleaning the clip and reorienting the wire core.

he DOES have spark because the engine runs with gas squirted in the engine, and if there were no spark, it's not because the core of the wire is not touching the clip, because it WILL jump that gap easily. the most common cause of no spark on the electronic ignition systems is either the kill wire is shorted to ground, or the ignition coil, which has electronics in it, went bad.. the old points system is a different story..

fluffybunny
@69.172.160.x

2 recommendations

fluffybunny

Anon

for 2000psi you can get a karcher pressure washer which runs on electric. no debugging of complex gas engines or maint required. plug it in and go.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds to rody_44

Premium Member

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

FWIW, you can start it without turning the water on.

Please read up on pressure washer operation. Just because you can do something does not make it proper or safe. You can also run the engine with no oil, but that won't last long just like running the pump with no water which is also an expensive mistake too.

»www.briggsandstratton.co ··· ty-first
quote:
Safety First

Before starting any pressure-washing project, it is important to take the time to properly prepare the work site, and consider some of the following safety tips.
» Equipment Safety

• Make sure to check the engine oil level each time you use your pressure washer.
• When changing or adding oil, do not overfill the engine crankcase. Overfilling oil may cause smoking, hard starting, spark plug fouling, and oil saturation of the air filter.
Do not run the pressure washer before connecting and turning on the water supply failing to do so will result in damage to the pump.
• Always keep the high-pressure hose connected to both the pump and the spray gun while the system is pressurized.
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

I ran the water and tied a rag around the handle of the sprayer to relieve pressure.

Grumpy4
Premium Member
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

Re: [Tools] Re: Power Washer

Does the unit have a pulse type fuel pump?
iknow_t

iknow_t

said by Grumpy4:

Does the unit have a pulse type fuel pump?

those are used on the BIG engines. this is just a vacuum operated carb.. also, the bowl is filling up..

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

said by iknow_t:

also, the bowl is filling up..

Ah... I missed that.
iknow_t

iknow_t

said by Grumpy4:

said by iknow_t:

also, the bowl is filling up..

Ah... I missed that.

if the main jet is clear, and the passage to the inside of the carb is clear, to let the gas be sucked into the carb, then it should start and run at least at full throttle!. idling will require the idle passages to be clear too. something is blocked with goo that was missed..
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

Re: [Tools] Power Washer

Follow up: Got the new carb today. Installed and it started right up. Was using it a bit when all of a sudden it started spewing water from the pump. Thought it was cracked from freezing, but there is a hole in the housing just behind the wand connection.
I have money invested in it now. So, I said screw it and ordered a 3100 psi pump for it. Old is only 2000 psi, which is good for cleaning only. At least with 3100psi I can blow paint chips off and make my money back. 70 for the carb and 109 for the new pump. I'll probably have to get a new wand hose too since mine is rated at 2250 psi. Oh well. I take chances on finding deals, sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
LittleBill

LittleBill

i would have tried jbweld beforing ordering a pump

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

pende_tim to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
The higher pressure pump will require more horsepower.
{grin} when you looked up the carb, was there a 4 barrel option available? {/grin}
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

lol Tim, Yes 6 hp. is plenty for the new one. Between 5 and 7 will work. I'll up the ebay link if you're interested. Shit, don't get me going. I'll tear that whole engine apart and install higher compression pistons and rings, bigger carb and a freakin' blower.... lol.

It's something to do and it makes me learn more about small engines. I just get frustrated when I do "all the right things" and it doesn't work anyway. Good thing it started on the third pull because my bones can't handle much more. . Thanks for your reply.

BTW, my name is Tim. Joewho is my online personna. Joewho?? Joe mama. Old school.
iknow_t

iknow_t to joewho

to joewho
that's the place it cracks when stored for the winter with water in it.. oh well..

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

2 edits

Grumpy4

Premium Member

Baby with glasses trying not to scream "I told you s..."
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

I've run water through it several times. Didn't see any leaks until it was actually working. You see where the hole is?

Grumpy4
Premium Member
NW CT

Grumpy4

Premium Member

Yeah, I just felt like bustin' yer chops.

Kidding aside - You'll still have a great unit for the price, and still could make money on it if you decide to sell it.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 recommendation

Doctor Olds to joewho

Premium Member

to joewho
said by joewho:

Follow up: Got the new carb today. Installed and it started right up. Was using it a bit when all of a sudden it started spewing water from the pump. Thought it was cracked from freezing, but there is a hole in the housing just behind the wand connection.

At the end of this season, get it ready to store.

Winterize & Store Your Pressure Washer
»www.briggsandstratton.co ··· e-washer

Pressure Washer Pump Saver (6039WEB)
»www.briggsandstratton.co ··· 11b90f28
joewho
Premium Member
Dundee, IL

joewho

Premium Member

UPDATE: I ordered and received a new pump a couple days ago. Happy as hell. It works great with a 3100 psi pump. UNTIL, the next morning I found peices of metal on the driveway. I had to remove the engine mount studs and get longer bolts for the new pump. Long story short, I installed it in a cocked position and broke the rotor pump at the keyway. Spoke with the seller and he's sending the part and seal. I'd like to say I'm an expert at everything, but I'm not. This is a learning experience and I'm still into it for less than $200. I already have work for the pw, as a matter of fact, I'm not working today because of it. Oh well. Back to the hot water heater.