how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xtreme2damax

join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

Sprint data without a contract?

I searched but I can't find anything conclusive. I figured I might as well get it from the horses mouth rather than a mvno for better priority on the network. I have a couple questions beforehand I'm hoping can be answered..

- Does Sprint offer no contract data plans or prepaid data only plans?

- Can I buy and bring my own device? I would like to purchase the Netgear Zing from Amazon and want to make sure I can use it with Sprint if they offer no contract data and byod.

Thanks.
--

sjutton

join:2012-04-16
Simpsonville, SC
Did you actually go to the Sprint website? That's what I did when I got my no contract plan with the netgear 6100D

»shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/ph···80400440

»shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/pl···ype=null

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
What kind of data plan do you have with that device?

GB / Price ? ?

said by sjutton:

Did you actually go to the Sprint website? That's what I did when I got my no contract plan with the netgear 6100D

»shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/ph···80400440

»shop.sprint.com/mysprint/shop/pl···ype=null

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
reply to sjutton
Yes I did but couldn't find anything conclusive. The prepaid plans appeared to be phone only. I was in a rush to get out the door for an appointment so I only looked at the prepaid plans which didn't mention data for stuff other than phones and I couldn't dig around more so I fired off a thread here for when I got back. I've been gone since 9AM - 10AM this morning, just got back and settled in around 10PM. I was only able to search around for ten or fifteen minutes. In that time I also had to check my email for RMA details to RMA a motherboard, check up on a couple other things then had to be out the door.

Edit: The pages you linked to was where I looked as well as the prepaid page. I honestly didn't have much time to go through checkout to see if a no contract, no credit check plan was offered. I presumed if I chose a plan from that page I would have no choice other than be forced into a contract. So I checked the pre-paid page quickly which made no mention of devices other than phones. I would like to purchase the Netgear Zing from Amazon and activate it on the Sprint network without a contract which I hope is possible.

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY

1 edit
reply to Xtreme2damax
Well in the end I went with something else. I need to get internet service back up and the Zing was going for $99 new on Amazon but that particular seller must have sold that stock and everyone else was selling at $139 or more new. I don't trust getting a used device, did that once with a DroidX smartphone and the charging port was shot. Plus it could have a bad esn due to being stolen or someone not paying the bill.

Considering Sprint doesn't have lte here and someone who lives in the same park as me told me he was able to pick up lte off a Verizon tower I decided to go with this device:

Verizon 890L 4G Lte Hotspot Mifi Modem

Purchased for $49.99 plus $2.99 shipping, it's good enough for me for the time being until I can afford something better. Supposedly the device works with Verizon or Verizon resellers and in other countries. The latter isn't a perk for me since I have no way of travelling so all I care about is that it works with Verizon and Verizon resellers. I'm sure anything would be better than that horrid Overdrive Pro. Hoping this will have actual antenna ports for external antennas just in case. Then I'm signing up with a Verizon prepaid no contract plan starting off with 12GB /mo.

Rural internet ftl lol.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
reply to Xtreme2damax
Overdrive Pro is outdated, VERY outdated..... On Sprint or Virgin Mobile.
horrible battery life, overheated. AWFUL.

Sprint now has the ZING by Netgear, and the Mingle thru Virgin Mobile.
Modern day very nice devices made by Netgear. they run cool. and the battery
life is amazing. (Interesting that it uses the same W-1 battery that the odp used).

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
I so wanted to get the Zing but once I got the money it went from $99 new to $139 on Amazon, figures lol. This guy I met here on DslReports who to my surprise lives in the same park as I do kept telling me how his gf's Verizon phone was picking up an Lte signal and was stuck in Lte.

So the choice was obvious since there is no Lte in this area from Sprint yet and I doubt there will be for at least another few years. The guy I met here hasn't been online on Steam in almost two months now. I'm not sure if he's busy or once he moved he was no longer able to pick up a signal. He had to move to another home in the park because the land lady's house caught on fire, they needed a temporary residence to move into and the trailer the guy I met lived in is owned by her.

So I'm hoping if I get a decent antenna I can pick up Lte here. According to Verizon's map there is Lte service around a mile or two up the road by the state thruway.
--

jbrewno

join:2010-01-21
Port Byron, NY
Reviews:
·TDS Communications
Lol hey man im still alive... When i moved across the street. The trailer is made out of metal. Barely get 3g in here on my phone. I dumped millenicom for there price increase just cant justify it. I am happy to announce that july should be the last month i pay rent here. I bought a house not far from here in montezuma. And i am happy to say i will be able to get back on steam and game! Tds cant wait!

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
Aww man that makes me a bit jealous. I like it here but there is no where else to move other than back to the city and my rent is affordable here. I'm in a metal trailer as well so no wonder why signal has never been that great. Something else can't get here soon enough but for now it's either mobile or satellite. But yeah I figured you might not be getting as good of a signal plus you might have been busy.

Congrats on the new house btw. If you can get on Steam feel free to message me anytime. Perhaps we can formally meet prior to you moving again?

Btw being this trailer is metal that means once again I'm bound to run into signal issues. I also found out this device also doesn't support external antennas, great lol. The only hope to get a decent signal is a device that supports external antennas along with a decent antenna that I can screw to the deck or roof.

Maybe if I can put money aside I can get set up with Wireless n' Wifi in a couple months but I'd be stuck with 3G for a while until Sprint upgraded the tower here to Lte.
--

jbrewno

Port Byron, NY
Reviews:
·TDS Communications
Yea sounds good man, just waiting on the under writing from banks should be good to go.... A 30 yr mortgage on a $90,000 with taxes included into payment is actually going to be like $50 less a month im paying now. I wont be back on steam til the move, hopin mid august to have internet again , be nice to have it again

sjutton

join:2012-04-16
Simpsonville, SC
reply to compuguybna
Hi Compuguybna,

It's 30 GB for $110. (no contract, had to buy the device)

May not be a great deal for many, but for me, with the Sprint Tower less than 0.5 mi away, it's great. I've been toggleing to 3G to limit data use, but even 3G is really good with my line of sight.

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
reply to Xtreme2damax
Oh yeah baby! Finally back in business with internet.

I should have went with Verizon from the start. Put the device in a Window with blazing Lte speed. I am getting three bars of Lte now all the while Sprint doesn't offer Lte here. It's funny though because Verizon doesn't show Lte in this whole area except up north around 1 1/2 to 2 miles away, we are listed in 3G territory according to their map.

For years myself and my parents were led to believe we had no other option other than satellite internet or dial up. Checked into dsl, cable, fiber, wireless providers which were all a no go as none offered service here.

Never thought to check mobile data and my parents whose home is around twenty feet away have had satellite throughout the years. I suppose this means I pass along good news to let them know they can drop Hughesnet like the scourge they are once their contract is up next year.

It's not the best option but I can't complain as it's literally the only decent option I have out here. Ping is low enough I can play my game online although I have to watch data usage whereas I didn't really have to worry about that during my time in the city.

The data usage seems to not work in the device as it's showing no usage. Any suggestions for an app or software that is accurate for data usage?

I know this is on Verizon and this is a Sprint forum, I was going to go with Sprint but changed my mind when jbrewno informed me I could get Lte here and he was right. I would have still been in the same mess with Sprint but thank goodness the price on Amazon for the Zing went up as that prompted me to look into other options.

Took it to the Verizon store, got a sim card and no contract service @ $80 /mo for 10GB of data.
--

Goliath2k
Premium
join:2013-12-28
united state
Congratulations!!!!

I'm glad that your hunt for a reliable Internet service worked out!

We actually have two Internet connections -- a grandfathered unlimited Sprint 3G account which has been acting up some lately (we think it's increased summer usage patterns causing speeds to drop to like 2-300 kbps during the daytime), and a limited 10 GB / $100 AT&T 4G account (includes free home phone line) that we use as a backup. So we're sort of in a similar boat as you.

We don't download/stream a lot, so the 10 GB lasts us a while, haven't had any problems staying under it so far.

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY
Yeah I am ecstatic because I don't have to move back to the city for halfway decent internet. I currently get three bars of Lte but I might need a passive antenna to give it a slight boost since this device lacks antenna ports.

I switched wifi channels as I was seeing degraded performance on some channels. For some reason the server browser in TF2 is having trouble listing servers with this device. Sometimes servers show but most times I am getting a server not responding message in the browser.

Ping has some variance but not as bad as 3G and definitely nowhere near as bad as satellite.

For some reason Verizon is not letting me upgrade to anything past 10GB, nothing higher in the way of data packages is listed. I'm not sure if I will be unable to upgrade until the next billing cycle or if plans higher than 10GB require a contract, would someone be able to elaborate on that?

Perhaps this last part can be split and merged with my other thread in the Verizon section and this one can be closed..

Oh and here is the latest speed test:

Heh awesome, take that crappy sub par ancient satellite internet, Hughesnet and other satellite internet for residential customers will go the way of dinosaurs soon enough. I predict only those tens or hundreds of miles away from civilization will need to rely on satellite while in the next decade fiber, cable, dsl or lte/wireless will expand to cover most areas.
--

jbrewno

Port Byron, NY
reply to Xtreme2damax
Haha thats a good connection right there! Glad u found something decent!

Xtreme2damax

Port Byron, NY

1 edit
Let me know how TDS is once you move. I wish they could've gave us an answer why they didn't provide service in the park but apparently do around the corner. I don't know whose lines they use because a Verizon tech came over to try setting up dsl service but determined I'm too far to receive a dsl signal as the closest terminal is in Auburn.

Edit: I know this is the Sprint section but is anyone familiar with Verizon service and devices? Apparently I can't go higher than 10GB for a data package as nothing higher is listed. Would packages higher than 10GB require a contract or will higher packages show up next billing cycle after paying my first bill?