eweazel
join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON

eweazel

Canadians have right to online anonymity, Supreme Court rules

»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· _globefb
eweazel

eweazel

Anonymity is key to Canadians’ right to privacy on the Internet, and as a general rule police are not permitted to disrupt that anonymity by asking Internet companies for information on their consumers without a judge’s authorization, the Supreme Court said in a ruling Friday.

“Anonymity is an important safeguard for privacy interests online,” Justice Thomas Cromwell wrote for a unanimous court

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

So I wonder what this will do to Harper's "Privacy invasion" bill?
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

If it gets passed as is, someone would challenge it, end up going to SCC, & SCC would probably overrule parts of it. But that'd still take a few years.

But at this point, it'd look silly for them to pass this bill as is considering this new decision.

eweazel
Etobicoke, ON

eweazel to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

He will probably come out with a law that goes around this like the did with the Prostitution ruling.
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983 to eweazel

Premium Member

to eweazel
Breaking:
"Senate appears to have paused 3rd reading debate on S-4, Digital Privacy Act. Will review SCC ruling, back on Mon"

eweazel
Etobicoke, ON

eweazel

said by resa1983:

Breaking:
"Senate appears to have paused 3rd reading debate on S-4, Digital Privacy Act. Will review SCC ruling, back on Mon"

That's awesome

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to resa1983

Premium Member

to resa1983
said by resa1983:

said by elwoodblues:

If it gets passed as is, someone would challenge it, end up going to SCC, & SCC would probably overrule parts of it. But that'd still take a few years.

But at this point, it'd look silly for them to pass this bill as is considering this new decision.

Do you honestly think he cares? It's always been my way or the highway, same with the prostitution bill, it's more then obviously unconstitutional, but it too will pass, and they'll wait for the courts to strike it down. Meantime, the bill stands.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

peterboro (banned) to eweazel

to eweazel
This is horrible! Now the police have to schlep down to see a JP or call in for a telewarrant which could take over 10 minutes of their time.

Anarchy will now prevail.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to eweazel

Premium Member

to eweazel
Canadians have right to online anonymity, Supreme Court rules

Fuck, yeah!!!
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

This is horrible! Now the police have to schlep down to see a JP....

No big deal.
The cops can always stop for donuts on the way.
analog andy
join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

analog andy

Locally I don't see too many cops at doughnut shops anymore. I see them parking under bridges and in industrial areas. I guess one picks up the doughnut/coffee and they gather in one place.

If I had the money for a lawyer I'd follow them, park next to them and video the whole thing.

Styvas
Who are we? Forge FC!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON

Styvas to eweazel

Premium Member

to eweazel
Would this also impact companies' rights to request log info from ISPs (e.g., IP addresses with respect to copyright violations via BitTorrent, etc.)? I mean, if the police need a warrant to request data from ISPs, then how could some media company just send a letter and receive it willy nilly?
resa1983
Premium Member
North York, ON

resa1983 to eweazel

Premium Member

to eweazel
Michael Geist has weighed in:
»www.michaelgeist.ca/cont ··· 156/125/

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Harper must be seething this morning.. if he tries to pass his "Cyberbulling" bill, it'll get struck down immediately.

Gord
@69.165.175.x

Gord to analog andy

Anon

to analog andy
Yeah that's what they are doing.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to analog andy

Premium Member

to analog andy
i see them hiding in the Don Valley, in Taylor Creek Park's parking lot.
They used to hang out in the parking lot across from Weston Bakery on Eastern, but since the new owners gated it, they must have found a new place to hide.
jkoblovsky
join:2011-09-27
Keswick, ON

jkoblovsky to eweazel

to eweazel
This is an interesting comment from the Privacy Commissioner

»www.cbc.ca/news/politics ··· .2674793
"In particular, [the ruling] confirms that an immunity clause that protects a person who voluntarily discloses personal information to police does not in itself constitute any 'lawful authority' for the state to obtain that information under Canada’s federal private sector privacy legislation," Therrien said.
Wondering what that means towards ISPs in the past who have handed consumer information out already without a warrant. There appears to be are a lot of disclosures from Rogers and Bell that were done without a warrant.

Kitlope
join:2004-07-29
Edmonton, Ab

Kitlope to eweazel

to eweazel
This is great news. Orwellian society will have to wait just a little longer...