spc
Search similar:

uniqs
nosnoop
join:2010-04-26
Canada

nosnoop

Business Internet Modem option

I am thinking of going with Bell as my address has FTTB, and I like the upload speed.

I was offered the usual Sagemcom 2864 modem; and I have heard a lot of trouble in putting this modem in bridge mode, something I need to do.

Are there any other modem choice for the Business 25/25 or 15/15 plan?
Can I ask for the Sagemcom 5250 instead? I don't really want to deal with the headache of 2864.

Thanks.

LondonDave
Premium Member
join:2011-09-05
London, ON
·Acanac

LondonDave

Premium Member

I have had FTTB 250/250 for awhile now and they only offer the 2864. I was told by support twice that using modem in bridge mode is not a supported option for FTTB service. I have just removed the 2864 and connected my Firewall directly to the ONT on vlan 35 and now get full speed.

Keep in mind that is definetly unsupported so if you ever have issue you will need to plug the 2864 back in.
nosnoop
join:2010-04-26
Canada

nosnoop

said by LondonDave:

I have just removed the 2864 and connected my Firewall directly to the ONT on vlan 35 and now get full speed.

What type of equipment would allow you to do this?
Currently I am using a RT-N66U running Tomato with a cable modem in bridge mode.

Does Bell allow us to buy our own modem?

Qsig
join:2009-05-18
Kanata, ON

Qsig to nosnoop

to nosnoop
Basically, all you need is a router that will can do PPPoE login and attach it to VLAN 35 on the WAN port. I did this for my residential FTTH for a while, works flawlessly. You will plug in your router directly to the Alcatel-Lucent ONT.
lowping
join:2013-08-04

lowping to nosnoop

to nosnoop
said by nosnoop:

said by LondonDave:

I have just removed the 2864 and connected my Firewall directly to the ONT on vlan 35 and now get full speed.

What type of equipment would allow you to do this?
Currently I am using a RT-N66U running Tomato with a cable modem in bridge mode.

Does Bell allow us to buy our own modem?

For FTTH, the Sagemcom only acts as a router and not a modem. For FTTN it's another story.