spc
Search similar:

uniqs

me87
join:2002-12-08
Iapetus

me87

Used Macbook Pro - How to re-install?

The main question is, how do I get around the Apple ID problem? I don't have one because this computer was purchased used.

If I buy the OS again, does this solve this problem? Do I get a new Apple ID?

Thanks
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

On a fresh install, it asks for your Apple ID. You can register for an Apple ID right there or you can do it [ur=https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyAppleId.woa/wa/createAppleId?localang=en_US]here[/url] and enter it in that dialog box.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to me87

Premium Member

to me87
If it has Lion or newer, it should have a recovery partition. Hold Option after the boot chime you can select recovery partition and reinstall the OS.

me87
Iapetus

me87

It has osx 10.6.3 according to the model specs.
The option button brings up only the main hard drive.

Can I buy OS X 10.7.5? I would like to install that since this one does not have recovery option.

Also, I tried Command R and that did nothing.

BTW I am getting a blue screen after boot up. The screen stays blue with nothing else.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

Maybe.

If you go to Apple - About this Mac...

What model is it?

me87
Iapetus

me87

This is the model
link
me87

me87

Any suggestions?

tango_bob
join:2001-12-16
Evanston, IL

tango_bob to me87

to me87
You need to upgrade to OS 10.6.8 via Software Update which will then give you the App Store application. From there you can download 10.9. You will need an Apple ID to do this. It can be created through the App Store application.

me87
Iapetus

me87

How do I upgrade. It is giving me a blue screen at startup.

ZeCanard
The Cosmic Duck
join:2002-09-26
Longmont, CO

ZeCanard

If you don’t have an installation disc on hand, you can purchase one from the Apple Store for $19.99 with free shipping. Snow Leopard 10.6.3 is the final version sold by Apple on a physical medium, so you must get this if you don’t have an installation disc.

Press ‘C’ when you hear the startup chime to boot from the DVD drive and reinstall your system. Once that’s done, use Software Update to upgrade to 10.6.8 and the Mac App Store. I believe you will need an Apple ID to use the App Store. You should be able to create one directly from the store. Otherwise, visit »appleid.apple.com.

Once you’re running 10.6.8, you have two options for upgrading your system:
• Purchase 10.7 Lion or 10.8 Mountain Lion, since that’s what you mentioned earlier. Each costs $19.99 and is only available as a digital download. That’s why you needed to start with Snow Leopard.
• Download 10.9 Mavericks for free. The download should be displayed prominently at the top of the App Store window. If not, you will get a notification and a prompt to upgrade to Mavericks fairly soon. There will also be a link to it in the right column of the App Store.

Of greatest concern to me is the fact that the computer blue screens on startup. I can’t guarantee that your computer will boot correctly, even from disc. Please consider this if you don’t want to waste $20 on an install disc you end up not using.

tango_bob
join:2001-12-16
Evanston, IL

tango_bob to me87

to me87
Do you have another functioning Mac available? If so you could use target disk mode to boot.

me87
Iapetus

me87 to ZeCanard

to ZeCanard
I can't just jump to 10.8 and install that? That doesn't seem right.
I only have to one apple laptop.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

If you know somebody else with a Mac, you can have them download Mountain Lion and create a USB install key for you.

me87
Iapetus

me87

I can't download on Windows and burn the dmg to dsk?

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by me87:

No, you can't. I'm sure either the person you got the computer from or a friend/neighbor has a Lion or newer disk that you can use to follow these steps.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by mbernste:

said by me87:

No, you can't. I'm sure either the person you got the computer from or a friend/neighbor has a Lion or newer disk that you can use to follow these steps.

Lion or newer wasn't distributed on disks.

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by HiVolt:

Lion or newer wasn't distributed on disks.

I'm referring to the media that came with the MacBookPro.

me87
Iapetus

me87 to HiVolt

to HiVolt
I managed to get the 10.8.4 dmg in an iso to burn to disk. How does the activation process go? I am used to windows activation only.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

The activation procedure is essentially answering a few questions and entering your AppleID and password. There is not an activation process with key codes and stickers like you are accustomed to in the Windows world.

I did a 10.9.2 install last night on a Mac Mini from a USB stick. Took less than an hour. The biggest hassle was searching how to get it to boot from the USB stick. I left it downloading the 10.9.3 update and went to bed.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to me87

MVM,

to me87
There isn't any activation for OS X (non-server). But be aware trying to convert the dmg into an iso and burning it on a Windows machine is usually problematic. Make sure you have a few DL DVD+Rs you don't mind wasting.

me87
Iapetus

me87

I got the iso to burn and installed Mountain Lion. I'm not sure its compatible with this computer. It is constantly in the apple gray logo screen. I got to the desktop only one and never again. It just stays in the gray screen or stops after I put in the password.

Currently trying safe mode test.

Shouldn't it be compatible?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

If you were stuck at a blue screen before and now you're stuck at a gray screen after a clean install, I'd start suspecting the hard drive is done for.

Can you hear any noises coming from it? Anything out of the ordinary?

Try booting up in single user mode by holding Command and S when turning on the computer. If it works, it'll tell you to run a disk test. Run it and see what it says.

Pirate515
Premium Member
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY

Pirate515 to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

But be aware trying to convert the dmg into an iso and burning it on a Windows machine is usually problematic. Make sure you have a few DL DVD+Rs you don't mind wasting.

I think 7-Zip (free) can read contents of DMG's on Windows. The ISO is actually hidden somewhere inside DMG (in Support/ESD folder or something like that). Once you extract it from there, you can burn it just like any other ISO.

me87
Iapetus

me87

I checked the disk and it seamed to have fixed something. However, It still stalls at the apple gray logo with spinning wheel.

Good to know about the dmg file.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Hold down Command+V on startup and see where it's getting stuck. Posting a picture of the messages might help, too.

me87
Iapetus

me87

turns out it was a failing hard drive. Changed it and all is working fine. Thanks for the advice.