Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SteveLV702
Premium
join:2004-04-22
Las Vegas, NV

[NV] Grrr "Channel Not Authorized"

pay a good amount of money for TV and Internet every month I'm on the Ultimate Tier for internet that works perfectly... Now TV thats another story 75% of the time TV don't work it says "Channel Not Authorized" even though its a channel suppose to get.. I end up having to call Cox they have to refresh/resend signal to box and then gotta restart box its ridiculous.

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:11

What kind of box do you have? Have you ever heard it swapped out? It sounds like either a hardware problem, or depending on box type something interfering with the conditional access signalling.

SteveLV702
Premium
join:2004-04-22
Las Vegas, NV

TiVo Roamio Pro

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

maybe your SDV dongle is dying.

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

1 recommendation

I used to see that all the time in Phoenix, two TiVo's and three tuner boxes later I gave up and went to satellite.

SDV honestly just does not work that well with TiVo and until Cox get's something different than those Cisco SDV adapters nothing is going to change with it.

Anonguy

@68.106.20.x

Re: [NV] Grrr "Channel Not Authorized"

said by brad152:

I used to see that all the time in Phoenix, two TiVo's and three tuner boxes later I gave up and went to satellite.

SDV honestly just does not work that well with TiVo and until Cox get's something different than those Cisco SDV adapters nothing is going to change with it.

Have to disagree with you. Multiple TIvos and Tuning adapters and all of mine work fine.

OP,

Sounds like a bad tuning adapter or a cable card losing pairing.

On a Pro the tuning adapter has to be installed with a 2way splitter.

»www.myaccount.charter.com/CMS_IM···ter.ccom

Maltz

join:2011-01-08
Fayetteville, AR

I have a Roamio Plus with a Motorola tuning adaptor with no problems at all. In fact, I haven't rebooted either device in the 6 months I've owned them.

As for using a splitter, I've seen installation instructions doing it both ways. Personally, I have no splitter and am running the signal through the TA into the TiVo.

From what I've been able to piece together, I think that there are two scenarios that define the choice of using a splitter or not using a splitter:

- DO NOT use a splitter if you have low signal strength, but strong signal to noise ratio (SNR). The TA has an amplifier in it that will increase signal strength coming out, whereas using a splitter will make your low signal even weaker.

- DO use a splitter if you have good signal strength, but poor SNR. The amplifier in the TA isn't necessary for signal strength, and will add noise, making the already marginal SNR even worse.

Otherwise, you'll have to figure out which works better in your specific case by trial and error. (You'll probably want to use a 2-way splitter when testing because that will reduce signal strength less than larger splitters.) It's also possible that either method will work if you have both a strong signal and very good SNR.

I have also found that good quality cables can make a huge difference in keeping your SNR high. Cheap cables can let a lot of signal bleed in from other sources. I'm not saying go buy the $80 Monster cables, but the $3 Wal Mart cables are really not the best choice, either. I've also had signal noise problems when running cable through surge suppressors. If you're doing that, you might bypass it and see if that helps, and if so, maybe get a better surge suppressor.

(edit: Forgot which Roamio I had... duh.)

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2

2 edits
reply to SteveLV702

See the following Thread regarding Cisco Tuning Adapters:
»Tuning Adapter Issue

If you are using MoCA you need to use a splitter and a MoCA POE filter on the Tuning Adapter, to prevent the MoCA signals from blasting the Tuning Adapter with noise, which will cause it to fail tuning requests.
»media.cox.com/support/print_medi···coTA.pdf

If you are not using MoCA, you can run the Coax through the TA and not use a MoCA Filter.

Also, see the following Cisco Tuning Adapter Troubleshooting posting:
»www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh···t=482537

Also check your Cisco CableCARD OS Version (firmware) and make sure it is PKEY1.5.3_F.p.0601 or newer, this OS version is the minimum requirement for 6 Tuners to work correctly.

I have 3 TiVos and 3 Tuning Adapters, one is a Roamio Pro, and I have no issues with any of them.

Cox Las Vegas was one of the last markets to implement SDV about a year ago, perhaps they are still working issues out?

--
Cox Premier HSI, SB6120, ASUS RT-N66U
TiVo Roamio Pro, XL4, Premiere 2TB-WD20EURS & TiVo Mini
Win7 WMC SiliconDust HD HomeRun PRIME

BryanInPHX
Premium
join:2001-03-06
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:2
reply to SteveLV702

Report the following levels -value- from the Tuning Adapter:

TiVo Central > Settings & Messages > Account & System Info > Tuning Adapter > Tuning Adapter Diagnostics

> Status Summary > Next Page
RF PARAMETERS
Tuner: -value-
FDC: 75.500 MHz
RDC: 16.250 MHz
Tuner: -value-
FDC: -value-
RDC: -value-

> RF Statistics
CURRENT FDC
Freq: 75.500 MHz
DAVIC: -value-