spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

routingissue

@64.207.245.x

[OK] Routing issues between Easytel and Cox?

My company uses Easytel for its internet connection, we have a 80/20 fiber plan. Usually we get our advertised speed.

However there is a wierd issue if I do a traceroute between my home network (on Cox) and my office. When I initiate the traceroute from my office, the routing goes all the way out of Easytel's network, then Level 3 in Dallas, and then back to Cox again, but not before "Request timing out" for the rest of the maximum 30 hops. If I initiate the traceroute from my house to my office, the route looks fine, and only takes 7 hops.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS

please post the traceroute display that will show us what's caused.

routingissue

@64.207.245.x

Thanks

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:14
reply to routingissue

I pinged the routing ninjas, I'll report back when I have info.

routingissue

@64.207.245.x

Thanks for checking with them, odog. Have you heard anything back from them in regards to this?

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:14
reply to routingissue

Nothing to report yet.

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
reply to routingissue

the internal cox network looks great, it is low pings you gets, there is no problems.

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to routingissue

Its 4 hops to get outside of Cox when tracing from home to work, and the trace fails 4 hops after getting inside Cox from work to home. This suggests your router/computer is just rejecting the ICMP. What kind of router do you have and is ICMP enabled on WAN?

As for why the routing is different, your work's ISP has different connections points (peers) and routing through those peers to reach Cox. This is usually the case fiber vs cable internet, aka normal.