Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

[Landscaping] RoundUp

I'm almost out of RoundUp and I'm thinking of buying another jug. I had a 1/2 gallon container premix with the hand sprayer (with the hand sprayer that looks like the top from windex but separate from the jug).

I'm thinking of buying either another jug or buying a sprayer and mixing it. And I'm thinking of buying the extended control but will do with the regular.

I just want to do what's best for my wallet.

I use RoundUp for brush control and for the growth in the cracks in concrete.
--
Stop the Comcast-Time Warner merger, I'd rather Time Warner buy out Comcast.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

$18.99 will get you 30 gal. worth of concentrate at HD.

It lasts for years and years in a dark place.

davidg
Good Bye My Friend
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-15
none

1 recommendation

50.00 or so will get enough generic concentrate for 300 gallons. I go thru the 2.5 gallon jug in a summer, what can I say except I hate a weedeater and have 6 acres to maintain!
--
Lack of Preparation on YOUR Part does NOT Constitute an Emergency on Mine!

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium
join:2002-05-31
AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to IowaCowboy

Once you go with your own a sprayer, you will never go back. They just work better than the crappy built in ones. I don't remember the name. But the one I have has a rebuild kit available for a few $$. O
--
This Space for Rent...

OldCableGuy3

@207.191.193.x
reply to IowaCowboy

Harbor Freight backpack sprayer is the way to go, usually $19.99 in the circular if you clip the coupon. If it craps out pitch it in the trash at the end of the season and buy another one next year, but that said, I've used mine for going on 3 years now.

iknow_t

join:2012-05-03
reply to IowaCowboy

instead of using the toxic version, why not buy the glyphosate concentrate which is safe? »www.phytotechlab.com/Detail.aspx?ID=326 you can make a huge amount of liquid with this. round up has inert ingredients which are very toxic..

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2

RoundUp is neutralized within a few hours of contact with soil.

iknow_t

said by Pacrat:

RoundUp is neutralized within a few hours of contact with soil.

you mean the glyphosate.. but the Polyethoxylated tallow amine has a half life of less than 7 days. and is very toxic. »www.scientificamerican.com/artic···icide-p/

OldCableGuy3

@207.191.193.x

Am I missing something? Of course it's toxic, I'm using it to kill plants. I want the most toxic substance I can get my hands on (legally, of course). I'm not drinking it, I'm spraying it on plants to kill them.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

Glyphosate (roundup active ingredient) is a nontoxic enzyme inhibitor. That's one of its primary benefits.

iknow_t

said by PSWired:

Glyphosate (roundup active ingredient) is a nontoxic enzyme inhibitor. That's one of its primary benefits.

but the Polyethoxylated tallow amine has a half life of less than 7 days. and is very toxic. »www.scientificamerican.com/artic···icide-p/

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

That was in response to OldCableGuy.

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
reply to davidg

I get my generic at Tractor Supply. It is about same price you pay.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to IowaCowboy

Man you guys are lucky, here in quebec consumer weed killers have been outlawed, i have to resort to smuggleing it across from new york state My buddies bring back cheap marlboros, i bring back roundup

tcope
Premium
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT
kudos:2
reply to IowaCowboy

Buying the premix is much more expensive. You are paying to have all of that water added and shipped. It takes about 20 seconds to mix it yourself. Buy a dedicated spray and write right on the sprayer what chemical's are inside. Use that spray just for that use.

joewho
Premium
join:2004-08-20
Dundee, IL
reply to IowaCowboy

Anyone try home made killer? Vinegar, salt and dish soap? Wife already bought a gallon jug of something, so I didn't pursue it.

OldCableGuy3

@207.191.193.x

My 2¢:

Home made remedies never work, in my opinion. If they worked then people wouldn't have been motivated to invent better ones. For instance, one time at the insistence of the wife I spent all day boiling water and pouring it on the plants growing through the cracks on my driveway. It killed them, but they were back a week later, stronger than ever. She then tried all the home made things, vinegar and soap... didn't even phase them. I've tried all the non-toxic stuff available over the counter too, and always had very poor results.

Once we got that out of the way, I drove to Menards and took a look at what they offered. I look at the bottle, the more warnings the better it will probably work, also I google if it has been banned in California, that's the best way to tell if it's going to be effective or not. Banned = The Good stuff

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to iknow_t

Thanks for this information, I didn't know about this. I'll mix my own "simple" version from now on, maybe add a teaspoon of dish detergent as a surfactant.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

The OP has recently suggested that they may be moving to another state. Don't forget that weedkillers are considered hazardous material by moving companies and are not allowed. In other words, you have to move them in your own vehicle or throw them away. Probably better not to stock up on this type of item at this time if the move is still in the cards.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

said by robbin:

said by IowaCowboy:

The OP has recently suggested that they may be moving to another state. Don't forget that weedkillers are considered hazardous material by moving companies and are not allowed. In other words, you have to move them in your own vehicle or throw them away. Probably better not to stock up on this type of item at this time if the move is still in the cards.

Same with propane tanks, I have two of them (for the grill) and one is sitting empty. If I run out I'm only refilling one of them.

I may also rent a U-haul van to move the things that the movers won't move or that I won't trust with the movers such as family heirlooms. But those and hazmat won't be in the same load.
--

iknow_t

reply to OldCableGuy3

said by OldCableGuy3 :

My 2¢:

Home made remedies never work, in my opinion. If they worked then people wouldn't have been motivated to invent better ones. For instance, one time at the insistence of the wife I spent all day boiling water and pouring it on the plants growing through the cracks on my driveway. It killed them, but they were back a week later, stronger than ever. She then tried all the home made things, vinegar and soap... didn't even phase them. I've tried all the non-toxic stuff available over the counter too, and always had very poor results.

Once we got that out of the way, I drove to Menards and took a look at what they offered. I look at the bottle, the more warnings the better it will probably work, also I google if it has been banned in California, that's the best way to tell if it's going to be effective or not. Banned = The Good stuff

not good if you have children (even visiting) or animals though. the poisonous surfactant stays active for a bit less than 7 days.

Pistol Pete
Have Gun-Will Travel

join:2001-03-31
Not on map
reply to joewho

said by joewho:

Anyone try home made killer? Vinegar, salt and dish soap?

I have used on Ivy & it worked for me. I applied rather heavy, waited 3-4 days & re-applied heavy again. Took a little over a week to start seeing results.
--
"I can resist everything-except temptation"

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
reply to telco_mtl

said by telco_mtl:

Man you guys are lucky, here in quebec consumer weed killers have been outlawed, i have to resort to smuggleing it across from new york state My buddies bring back cheap marlboros, i bring back roundup

RoundUp concentrate can be bought at Canadian Tire.
However, it is a rip off price of 32$
»www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/round···atrGpkgM

Or you can order it off Amazon.com for about 40$ (makes twice the quantity though) shipped to Canada
»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H9···KIKX0DER

AND
You can still order 2,4D weed killer off amazon.com and have it shipped to Canada. I received 3 bottles for 45$
»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037A···fresh_T1

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06

said by alkizmo:

said by telco_mtl:

RoundUp concentrate can be bought at Canadian Tire.
However, it is a rip off price of 32$
»www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/round···atrGpkgM

Or you can order it off Amazon.com for about 40$ (makes twice the quantity though) shipped to Canada
»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H9···KIKX0DER

AND
You can still order 2,4D weed killer off amazon.com and have it shipped to Canada. I received 3 bottles for 45$
»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0037A···fresh_T1

i just go to the agway and get the good shit that they only sell to farmers up here

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

I decided to bite the bullet and get the good stuff at the Home Depot. That sprayer should last me a lifetime.

--

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

1 edit
reply to IowaCowboy

It's nice to have a 1-2 quart hand sprayer around and loaded for the small jobs as well.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to IowaCowboy

Another nice thing about RoundUp is it kills grass so if we move to grandma's house (still up in the air as we had another setback only this time with my mother's health) we can start a garden by killing the grass. There are currently no gardens up but my mother likes gardens.
--

Critsmcgee

join:2011-12-02
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to joewho

said by joewho:

Anyone try home made killer? Vinegar, salt and dish soap? Wife already bought a gallon jug of something, so I didn't pursue it.

If you want home-made weed killer just use boiling water. It works 100% of the time. Just be aware it will sterilize any soil it comes in contact with so it's best used on sideways, driveways, etc. for those weeds.
--
"Trust Me I'm The Doctor!" -Doctor Who

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

That sprayer should last me a lifetime.

No, it probably won't. Most likely, the plunger will break from the handle in a season or two. I've gone through a dozen of those cheapie sprayers. I finally broke down and bought an all metal one. Though the name of it escapes me. You don't find it at the big box stores.

Make sure you only use weed killer in that sprayer. If you should ever find yourself needing to bug spray (I have roses I have to take care of) you should get another bottle to keep the bug sprays in.

OldCableGuy3

@207.191.193.x
reply to IowaCowboy

That sprayer will last a year or two. Same Chinese made garbage they sell at Harbor freight, just with 3x the markup.