spc
Search similar:

uniqs
JeromeM
join:2009-09-02

JeromeM

FIOS: Requesting an Ethernet installation & outside ONT

Hi guys,

So I just moved into a new place and I've been shopping for a new ISP. FIOS is affordable and fast and want to go with it. Only I have a couple of specific requirements. I've spent a long time on the phone with various people at Verizon and I couldn't get a straight answer.

1. I'd want them to install the ONT outside, can I request the technician to do that? (I have a small apartment and I've seen some of those ONT boxes: they are huge and really don't want them inside)

2. Since I want to use my own router I was hoping I could request the technician to be wired via Ethernet instead of coax so everything is up and running with ethernet right away. (Will I need to call them myself to ask them to change the ONT connexion from coax to Ethernet and break the router’s DHCP lease or the technician should take care of all that?)

3. If for some reason I can't get them to wire me via Ethernet, could I then use a modem type device where coax would go in, and Ethernet out. I stumbled on people talking about the Motorola NIM-100 but that was 5 years ago. Perhaps there are better and more straightforward options now to bridge coax in ethernet out?

Thanks guys!
J

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

Are you in a house or apartment building? Standard install in an apartment is inside. Sometimes there is no choice but to put it inside. Pictures would help.

You "MAY" get him to wire ethernet. Again standard install is coax to the the router. If you are getting tv there has to be coax to the router also.

Search the FAQs on option to bridge the router.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

1 recommendation

More Fiber to JeromeM

MVM

to JeromeM
1) That's going to depend on where the fiber is run. If the fiber is undeground, or coming from a pole, that's a resonable request. If the fiber is run inside (e.g. through hallway moulding), you're probably not going to get an outside install.

2) You can request an ethernet install. Since the higher speed tiers (> 100mbps) require ethernet from the ONT, the techs seem to be pretty good about accomodating ethernet installs these days.

3) You can NOT use a NIM-100 between the ONT and your router. A NIM-100 does not support MOCA WAN. You don;t mention if you're also getting FIOS-TV, if you are, you will still need the Actiontec, although it can be behind your router. See the FAQs for details on various configurations.
There is also an FAQ that includes information on MOCA adapters that do support MOCA WAN.

The above applies only to individual ONT installs. If you are moving into a building with MDU (central) ONTs, you will get VDSL from the MDU ONT to your unit.
betatester4
join:2014-06-09
united state

betatester4 to JeromeM

to JeromeM

Smaller ONTs

Smaller ONTs

Check this out "Smaller ONTs Improve FiOS Installation in Apartment Buildings"

»forums.verizon.com/t5/Ve ··· -p/60210

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

PoloDude

Premium Member

That is the desktop Alcatel ONT in the 1st pic and the BBU for it in the second.
JeromeM

JeromeM

Hey guys thanks a lot for your input!

Oh yes I forgot to mention that I'm only getting internet. No TV.
said by PoloDude:

Are you in a house or apartment building? Standard install in an apartment is inside. Sometimes there is no choice but to put it inside. Pictures would help.

I'm not in a house nor a typical apartment building. In my building I only have one neighbor and garages below us. What sort of pictures would you need?

That's great to know about them accommodating ethernet install. Thanks More Fiber.

These little ONTs seem great! How can I make sure I get one of those? The Verizon people always seem clueless on the phone.
JeromeM

JeromeM

Oh and BTW, a bit off topic but was wondering about Netflix/FIOS thing. They have reached an agreement but speeds have remained the same and have not increased like Comcast. Do you expect FIOS to get its act together in the coming weeks/months?
betatester4
united state

1 recommendation

betatester4

By phone you are not going to find out what is the best installation for your needs, they only type on computer and read you what pop up, remember they are trained to sale a service they are not technicians. You are better off first speaking with one of the technicians; they are doing a lot installation for houses or apartment around so they know what to do. Now you know there is desktop Alcatel ONT that is small so if you see one of the FIOS van in your area just ask and tell what you want. When they installed the ONT in my house they did a good job. You have to be there to make sure they do something close to what you want.
said by JeromeM:

Oh and BTW, a bit off topic but was wondering about Netflix/FIOS thing. They have reached an agreement but speeds have remained the same and have not increased like Comcast. Do you expect FIOS to get its act together in the coming weeks/months?

I got FIOS last year, everything was working fine until early this year and I started having problems streaming, a lot buffering, only playing standard definition and not HD.
I was a Comcast’s customer for 7 years and I was streaming HD all the time, not buffeting at all and I even had native IPV6.

My wife was not sure to switch over FIOS so persuaded her to make the change. Now FIOS don’t care about customers and start playing around with Netflix just to make couple extra pennies. To make thing short I have my wife breathing in my neck (in a not so good way) telling me “I told you so!!” and my kid “daddy Mickey Mouse stop… fixed it!!!” and worse thing no plans for IPV6.

Verizon FIOS and Netflix is not going to improve until more people start complaining, switching and the government step in to investigate and regulate (deregulation is not a good thing for customers).
JeromeM

JeromeM

Thanks BetaTeser. They are coming Tuesday. Fingers crossed.

re: Netflix & FIOS. Netflix has agreed to pay Verizon for getting preferred bandwidth over its network. For some reason it's taking time to implement the optimzed speeds, contrary to Comcast which was instantaneous.

I'm still wondering if I should have gone TWC.

»fivethirtyeight.com/data ··· peedier/
»arstechnica.com/business ··· verizon/
»www.fierceonlinevideo.co ··· 14-06-09

"Verizon VP David Young told CNET, "We can't just snap our fingers and the network is upgraded. We need new facilities. We have to do the equipment engineering. Build it and test it. We are doing all of that right now. And it should be completed during this year." When finished, Netflix's connection to the Verizon network will supply "adequate capacity to satisfy the needs of their subscribers.""
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k to JeromeM

to JeromeM
borrowed my friends netflix acct just to test streaming and see what they have I now feel your pain guys but I can't see myself caring only about netflix here is what I got lol.

Brooklyn,NY

Mon
join:2014-01-25
Brooklyn, NY

Mon to JeromeM

to JeromeM
I live in a small apartment as well, typical NYC 3-story apartments, just got FiOS installed this past Friday and I have it installed inside. The fiber is run to the aerial outlet on the pole in the backyard.

I'm not sure if you can install it outside, it needs to be plugged in to a power outlet.
You would need the power cable as well as Ethernet to go inside. My suggestion is to install the ONT as close as possible to where you will put the router. Outside installation would mean longer Ethernet cable, which can cause degradation.

I don't think you will see that ONT stand alone as seen in the first picture few posts above. I have that exact same model ONT installed, but it's in the usual rectangle box. I only ordered Internet, no TV or phone, he didn't install the battery pack in the box, which is surprising but makes sense. The tech asked me where to install the ONT, and I chose to install it right under the router sitting on the desk and he used Ethernet to connect it, didn't even bring up coax or Ethernet installation.

Here is a picture of the box with the small ONT inside as shown in few posts above:

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

Clever, modular components.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to Mon

MVM

to Mon
said by Mon:

I'm not sure if you can install it outside, it needs to be plugged in to a power outlet.

With an outside install, the BBU/PS is always installed inside. The ONT can be up to 50 feet from the BBU/PS.
said by Mon:

Outside installation would mean longer Ethernet cable, which can cause degradation.

Nonsense. Ethernet is a digital signal. It does not degrade as long as you're under 100 meters.
said by Mon:

he didn't install the battery pack in the box, which is surprising but makes sense. The tech asked me where to install the ONT

VZ no longer provides a "free" battery. If you want a battery for the BBU, you must order one or provide your own.
betatester4
united state

betatester4 to JeromeM

to JeromeM
said by JeromeM:

"Verizon VP David Young told CNET, "We can't just snap our fingers and the network is upgraded. We need new facilities. We have to do the equipment engineering. Build it and test it. We are doing all of that right now. And it should be completed during this year." When finished, Netflix's connection to the Verizon network will supply "adequate capacity to satisfy the needs of their subscribers.""

Verizon don’t want to make same mistake that Comcast made (instantaneous improve). They don’t want Netflix install their own technology in Verizon Network, if they allow that or improve speed quickly there is no justification to charge extra money to permit Netflix or another video or service get to customer more efficient, is part of the game. Verizon is going to drag this issue just because they can. is the same thing that happen in NY last year when CBS were asking more money for retransmission consent fees, after Time Warner Cable didn’t agree to pay so CBS drop the channels and block online streaming until they reach an agreement.

This happen because there is no regulation for these companies, they cannot apply this kind of tactics on utility services because they are not allowed by law to do it. For example if the electric company stop or degrade our service just because their grid don’t support enough power to be delivery to customer, they cannot hold hostage the electricity by government regulation, they have to improve the electrical grid and invest money, but Comcast, Verizon and friends don’t want to invest money to improve the infrastructure, this is a huge problem in America we are still using 50-100 years old infrastructure.

Let us know how your installation went and how is your service.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

1 edit

OpTiC to More Fiber

Premium Member

to More Fiber
They provide me a free bbu with I upgraded to fios voice last month

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Don't know what you mean by a "hub". Ethernet hubs are obsolete, having been replaced by switches. There's no special equipment required for FIOS voice. It just connects directly to your ONT.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

aaronwt

Premium Member

Yes. Hubs went out with the 20th century. The last time I used an Ethernet hub was in 1997 or 1998.
TheAgent007
join:2014-06-17

TheAgent007 to JeromeM

to JeromeM
Forgive my ignorance but does ONT = Optical Network Terminal?

And what exactly is that? Is it the Actiontec device that Verizon gives you or is it something completely different?

birdfeedr
MVM
Warwick, RI

1 recommendation

birdfeedr

MVM

The ONT is similar in function to a cable modem. Yes, you will need a router connected to the ONT in order to get data to multiple devices.
TheAgent007

TheAgent007

I don't know if you can see my other post but I'm completely new to FiOS and I'm just trying to get a handle of all this terminology and the process. From what I've just read on this website it looks like Verizon will bring and set up this connection pathway

ONT - Actiontec Modem/Router

And in my first thread on this site I'm asking if there is any way that I can do

ONT- Actiontec Modem/Router - Linksys Router

And disable the router router on the Actiontect. But still have the television guide for whatever HDTV I've got connected to it. More importantly I don't want any problems with my internet connections especially while gaming or if I happen to want a torrent.

mushmouth
join:2001-12-13
Earth

mushmouth to JeromeM

to JeromeM
As long as you are not getting video the installer will set you up with your linksys router.If you are getting video the installer will tell you that you need the actiontec either rented from vz,purchased, or if you have your own vz branded actiontec you can use it.
Linksys will work with AT, but the ip address will need to be changed on either router.

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to TheAgent007

MVM

to TheAgent007
Yes, ONT = Optical Network Terminal. Comparing the ONT to a cable modem is an over simplification. The ONT provides 3 functions:
1) Converts downstream video from the 1550nm wavelength to QAM for distribution via coax.
2) Converts ATM (BPON) or Gig-Enet (GPON) from 1310/140nm wavelengths to cat5 or MOCA for internet.
3) Converts phone from 1310/140nm wavelengths to analog for connection to your existing phone wiring.

The Actiontec is a router (not a modem) and connects to the ONT via cat5 or coax.

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to mushmouth

MVM

to mushmouth
Not true - all new Verizon data and/or data/video customers need to rent/purchase a Verizon branded Actiontec router....
TheAgent007

TheAgent007 to JeromeM

to JeromeM
If by video you mean "Television" service then yes I'm getting "video". However I don't plan on getting Video on Demand but I do have a Netflix account.

From what I can tell on the "Tradeoffs" FAQ Option 1 still results in you having two wireless networks being broadcast and you have the "Double NAT" issue.

Option 4 looks the most promising and yet according to that I won't have the Television Guide or Video On Demand (does that mean no Netflix?). And upon re-reading Options 6 & 7 it looks like this is the overall configuration:

ONT - Linksys Router - Actiontec

birdfeedr
MVM
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to nycdave

MVM

to nycdave
Dave, what date for new customers did that requirement become effective? Is that in all areas now?

More Fiber
MVM
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to TheAgent007

MVM

to TheAgent007
said by TheAgent007:

From what I can tell on the "Tradeoffs" FAQ Option 1 still results in you having two wireless networks being broadcast

As i said before, turn off the Actiontec wireless.
said by TheAgent007:

you have the "Double NAT" issue.

Yes, option 1 results in Double NAT.

Option 4 is INTERNET ONLY. Does not apply if you have FIOS-TV.

Netflix is unrelated to VZ's VOD. Netflix is received over your itnernet connection.
said by TheAgent007:

ONT - Linksys Router - Actiontec

That's correct for options 6 & 7.
TheAgent007

TheAgent007

said by More Fiber:

Yes, option 1 results in Double NAT.

Option 4 is INTERNET ONLY. Does not apply if you have FIOS-TV.

Do you mind sending me a message. I just created an account and apparently I can't message people. Thanks for your help so far. I've already learned a lot. I just have a quick question about those two options.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to More Fiber

Premium Member

to More Fiber
I know but the tech named Marlon gave me a free hub and I was also told by the phone that you get it when I sign up for voice
OpTiC

OpTiC to More Fiber

Premium Member

to More Fiber
I meant bbu
JeromeM

JeromeM

So they came yesterday; they gave me a small ONT and a smaller BBU so I wouldn,t need to get that big gray box linked above. And they were able to accommodate me with my request for an Ethernet install. So I don't need to rent their router at $5/month.

BTW the people on the phone at Verizon might tell you it's not possible to use your own router and you NEED to rent theirs (that's only true if you're getting TV/phone) . Don't know if it's misinformation from their part or just part of their strategy to milk more money our of their clients.

So pretty happy with FIOS thus far. Quite Snappy.
I hope the Netflix issue will be resolved at some point.