nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to JeromeM

MVM

to JeromeM

Re: FIOS: Requesting an Ethernet installation & outside ONT

If you didn't provide a Verizon branded Actiontec router, you will be charged a monthly fee....Watch your bill.
spc111
join:2003-12-09
NJ

spc111

Can you clarify this statement? Are you saying that Verizon will charge you an additional fee if you don't use a Verizon branded Actiontec router with their Internet service? Can you link to an official source? Thanks.
snakebite2
join:2014-06-22
US

snakebite2

For those that did the Ethernet installation.
Does Verizon charge more for the installation? Will they charge me extra for the ethernet cable used? I also would like know if they'll charge me for not using their router. And is the router free if I order online?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by snakebite2:

Does Verizon charge more for the installation?

No.
said by snakebite2:

Will they charge me extra for the ethernet cable used?

No.
said by snakebite2:

I also would like know if they'll charge me for not using their router.

Yes, unless you already have an Actiontec rev. I.
said by snakebite2:

And is the router free if I order online?

No.
snakebite2
US

1 edit

snakebite2

what is the monthly charge for not using their modem? Why will they charge me extra for not using their modem?
How much is the modem?
spc111
NJ

spc111 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
Wait, so you explicitly need a rev. I Actiontec in order to not get hit with some sort of fee? What about a rev G? A rev. E?

I would really like to see some official information about this fee because it is the first I am hearing about it. What if I have my own rev. I and then they switch to using a rev. J or something, will they start charging me a fee until I get a rev. J?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to snakebite2

MVM

to snakebite2
said by snakebite2:

what is the monthly charge for not using their modem?

$4.99. BTW, it's a router, not a modem. FIOS does not use modems (except in certain MDU VSDL installations)
said by snakebite2:

Why will they charge me extra for not using their modem?

Because they can?
said by snakebite2:

How much is the modem?

$79.99
»teleproducts.verizon.com ··· yDetails
said by spc111:

so you explicitly need a rev. I Actiontec in order to not get hit with some sort of fee? What about a rev G? A rev. E?

A rev. I is specifically required for the new Quantum VMS system. You should be able to get away with an older Actiontec router if you're not getting the Quantum VMS.
said by spc111:

I would really like to see some official information about this fee because it is the first I am hearing about it. What if I have my own rev. I and then they switch to using a rev. J or something, will they start charging me a fee until I get a rev. J?

Not official, but there was a big discussion of the new fee here:
»[Pricing] Here comes the Router rental fee of $4.99

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

1 edit

birdfeedr to spc111

MVM

to spc111
said by spc111:

Wait, so you explicitly need a rev. I Actiontec in order to not get hit with some sort of fee? What about a rev G? A rev. E?

I would really like to see some official information about this fee because it is the first I am hearing about it.

1. nycdave has said multiple times in the past "a Actiontec", not a specific model.
2. This is for new subscribers. The policy made the news back in late January.
3. You have to search on verizon.com or in their forums for some sort of official notice. I was not able to find such a specific reference. Here on DSLR, nycdave is unofficially official or something like that.

Earlier in this topic he said
said by nycdave:

If you didn't provide a Verizon branded Actiontec router, you will be charged a monthly fee.

»[Pricing] Here comes the Router rental fee of $4.99
»Verizon Has Been Quietly Increasing FiOS Fees [74] comments

Two different chat sessions:
#1 -------------------------------------------------------------------
Juan(14:59:25): How may I assist you online?
You(15:00:06): I am trying to find the official policy regarding router rental fee for new customers. What is the current policy?
Juan(15:00:57): We offer our FiOS routers on a rental basis. The monthly rental fee is $4.99. In addition, the warranty on a rented router will be ongoing for as long as services remain active. We will ship a replacement router at no cost to you.
You(15:01:42): What happens if I want to use my own router without renting it. I'd like to be responsible for my own equipment.
Juan(15:02:32): We also offer the option to purchase our FiOS Advanced Wi-Fi Router. The purchase price is $99.99 and will be split into 3 monthly installments on the bill. The warranty period is valid for 12 months on the purchased router.
Juan(15:03:47): You can use your own wireless router if it is compatible with Verizon FiOS services. Only Actiontech MI424WR wireless router is compatible with FiOS Internet services.
You(15:03:47): What happens if I already have a very good router from my service with Cablevision. It works perfectly well. Can I avoid the Verizon router altogether?
You(15:04:47): I meant fee, either rental or purchase.
Juan(15:05:42): You can use your own wireless router if it is compatible with Verizon FiOS services. Only Actiontech MI424WR wireless router is compatible with FiOS Internet services. If you do not the listed one, then, it is essential to select either rental or purchase option.
You(15:07:13): Say that I have a Actiontec MI424WR that I purchased off of my cousin after he moved away. Will that be sufficient?
Juan(15:10:09): I would request you to contact our Verizon Consumer Sales and Support Center to double check the version of the Actiontec MI424WR wireless router. I would recommend you to purchase the wireless router from Verizon as you will have the discounted price and it will be a confirmed one.
You(15:11:30): Is there a website link that I can look up to show what the exact terms and conditions that apply to the router fee?
Juan(15:12:21): You will be able view all the related information on the wireless router on the "Customize Internet page on the order process before submitting the order online.
You(15:13:01): I'm asking these questions because I'm trying to get my father-in-law to switch over to FiOS from cable, and he asks a lot of questions.
Juan(15:14:08): I do understand. Please feel to ask further questions that you have. I will be happy to answer them for you.
You(15:14:08): The order process is designed to get me to spend money, not to save money. That's why I am asking for the specific terms and conditions. Is there anything written down that does not require me to place an order first?
Juan(15:15:19): We offer our FiOS routers on a rental basis. The monthly rental fee is $4.99. In addition, the warranty on a rented router will be ongoing for as long as services remain active. We will ship a replacement router at no cost to you. This summarize all the related information on renting the wireless router.
You(15:15:59): ok. that's the best you can do. Thank you for explaining it all to me.
You(15:16:08): bye.

#2-----------------------------------------
Sufiyan(15:23:57): How may I assist you?
You(15:24:40): I know that Verizon can either rent me a router for 4.99 per month or sell me one for 99.99 outright.
Sufiyan(15:25:11): Yes, that is correct.
You(15:25:20): Can you please point me to an official Verizon terms of service that says that I must have an Actiontec router in order to use the FiOS internet service.
Sufiyan(15:26:21): The compatible routers with FiOS services are Actiontec MI424WR and Westell 9100 EM.
Sufiyan(15:26:46): No other routers will be compatible with FiOS services.
You(15:27:33): If I have either one of those routers, is it possible for me to order service without incurring either a router purchase charge or a router rental charge?
Sufiyan(15:28:24): Yes, you can use one of these routers if you have them. But you will not be able to proceed with the order online.
You(15:28:57): Then how do I place an order without having either of these charges on my bill?
Sufiyan(15:29:37): You need to call our Consumer Sales and Solutions Center directly at: (800) VERIZON or (800) 837-4966, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Sufiyan(15:29:42): Our representatives will be happy to help you.
You(15:29:51): Thank you.
You(15:29:55): bye.

------------------------------
Conclusion: this is a fee which may or may not apply depending on what effort you put into a new order. Notice I did not ask if there were any specific models required, so you cannot infer anything other than MI424WR or 9100EM as being sufficient for (non-specific) Verizon services.

Don't try to escape this fee when ordering online. There is no alternative in the online ordering system. You would need to deal with the sales pitch when placing an order with a live agent. These two chat bots cannot point to a written policy spelling out the terms and conditions which require this equipment. I expect it will eventually be provided although it will have to get past marketing and legal first. This particular version is strictly marketing.

[edit to add more from ordering process]
Placing an order for 5/1 internet-only service forces a router rental or purchase selection, but calling up additional details provides this screen.

Important Router Information

Note that because of many advanced features recently integrated to the FiOS Service, only one router model will ensure full compatibility with all FiOS TV services :
•Actiontec Model MI424WR Rev I

Please be sure this is the router model you already have by checking the following items:
• Red band around the front side of the router
• Model MI424WR Rev I
• The model number is located on one side of the router red band
• Two WiFi antennas integrated to the rear panel

If you currently have this router, please call us at 1-888-389-7299 to complete your order.

For added convenience, select the “Save Now” button at the top of the ordering page and all the selections you’ve made so far will be saved and available when you speak to a representative.

If you do not have this router, you will need a new router. You can make a selection as part of your online order. Close this message to continue.
spc111
NJ

2 edits

1 recommendation

spc111

Thank you very much for this information.

I am sorry for not being more informed about the latest information, I just became a FiOS subscriber about 2 weeks ago. I am currently renting the router, but it looks like if I buy a Verizon branded MI424WR elsewhere, I can return the one I am renting and they will no longer charge me any fee.

It is also my understanding that if I am returning the router and want to avoid another potential fee, it is best to bring it to a UPS store and not the Verizon FiOS store (both stores are very near to me). I have to say, all this fee avoidance is making me tired...

EDIT:
Yeah, "advanced features" that you may not want or need, yet you still need this one specific router? If you use a CableCard device, then the router serves no purpose other than a connection to the ONT through MOCA, and if you have cat5 to the ONT, it serves no additional function that any other router could not provide.
snakebite2
US

snakebite2

@Morefiber
The reason you said I'll be charge for not using the their router is because you assume I'll be renting if I'm not buying it.
Those are the only 2 available. It's impossible to order the internet service without owning one of the 2 router, right? Is there technical reason for not being about to use your router first and only? Seems like they only reason they recommend the 2 modems is because it support their T.V service. If I have zero intention in using the t.v in the future I don't see why they can' accommodate this.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to JeromeM

Premium Member

to JeromeM
I have FiOS TV service using my TiVos and I have been using my own routers for seven years. if I had one of their STBs I would connect up one of the several AT routers gathering dust in my closet and still continue to use my personal router. The AT router would be strictly used for the FiOS STB while my personal router would still be used with the sixty five devices on my network.

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt to JeromeM

Premium Member

to JeromeM
said by JeromeM:

re: Netflix & FIOS. Netflix has agreed to pay Verizon for getting preferred bandwidth over its network. For some reason it's taking time to implement the optimzed speeds, contrary to Comcast which was instantaneous.

You realize that Comcast was working on the network upgrades for their peering with Netflix almost 6 months before it was announced to the public, right?

There was nothing instantaneous. LOL.

On the other hand, I may have just noticed something positive today:

»[Networking] 1st Proof of Verizon / Netflix Direct Peering????