All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
iknow_t
join:2012-05-03

iknow_t to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy

Re: [Landscaping] RoundUp

instead of using the toxic version, why not buy the glyphosate concentrate which is safe? »www.phytotechlab.com/Det ··· x?ID=326 you can make a huge amount of liquid with this. round up has inert ingredients which are very toxic..

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat

MVM

RoundUp is neutralized within a few hours of contact with soil.
iknow_t

iknow_t

said by Pacrat:

RoundUp is neutralized within a few hours of contact with soil.

you mean the glyphosate.. but the Polyethoxylated tallow amine has a half life of less than 7 days. and is very toxic. »www.scientificamerican.c ··· icide-p/

OldCableGuy3
@207.191.193.x

OldCableGuy3

Anon

Am I missing something? Of course it's toxic, I'm using it to kill plants. I want the most toxic substance I can get my hands on (legally, of course). I'm not drinking it, I'm spraying it on plants to kill them.

PSWired
join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

PSWired

Glyphosate (roundup active ingredient) is a nontoxic enzyme inhibitor. That's one of its primary benefits.
iknow_t

iknow_t

said by PSWired:

Glyphosate (roundup active ingredient) is a nontoxic enzyme inhibitor. That's one of its primary benefits.

but the Polyethoxylated tallow amine has a half life of less than 7 days. and is very toxic. »www.scientificamerican.com/artic···icide-p/

PSWired
Annapolis, MD

PSWired

That was in response to OldCableGuy.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to iknow_t

Premium Member

to iknow_t
Thanks for this information, I didn't know about this. I'll mix my own "simple" version from now on, maybe add a teaspoon of dish detergent as a surfactant.

PSWired
Annapolis, MD

PSWired to iknow_t

to iknow_t
said by iknow_t:

said by PSWired:

but the Polyethoxylated tallow amine has a half life of less than 7 days. and is very toxic. »www.scientificamerican.com/artic···icide-p/

I looked into this a little more, and I must say that Monsanto's argument is pretty strong. See below:

Roundup products contain an active ingredient (glyphosate) which has extremely low mammalian toxicity as well as a surfactant (detergent) to help penetrate the waxy plant cuticle. It thus comes as no surprise that other components are more toxic to animals than glyphosate- so are table salt, aspirin, and caffeine. All soaps and detergents dissolve fats- that is what makes them work. Naked cells in the bottom of a petri dish are protected only by the cell membrane- made of fats- and guess what- if you put detergent on them, they don't do so well. Monsanto has replicated Seralini's work with a bit more care and variety of materials. While Seralini measures a variety of outcomes (like hormone production) in cell lines chosesn more for political value than scientific merit, the bottow line is that detergents disrupt cellular energy production by destroying membrane integrity.
The reality check here is that we all use soaps and detergents all the time- hair shampoo, liquid soaps, laundry detergents, diswashing soaps, etc. Exposure estimates indicate that LESS THAN 1% OF SURFACTANT EXPOSURE COMES FROM PESTICIDE RESIDUES- all the rest of it you are pouring on your dishes, in your washing machine, and over the top of your babies.
Not a problem?? Not a surprise- last I looked you were probably NOT a collection of naked cells living at the bottom of a petri dish and waiting for Dr. Seralini to puor on the Roundup. All those soaps, detergents, and sanitizers are, among other uses, INTENDED to kill those nasty, unprotected lower organisms that thrive on household surfaces!!
Daniel A. Goldstein, M.D.
Director, Medical Sciences and Outreach
The Monsanto Company

OptOut
@74.89.75.x

OptOut

Anon

An alert for the alert:
"Five reasons why Roundup should be banned forever"
»www.naturalnews.com/0455 ··· age.html

We report, you (pest)decide

StephenRC
join:2013-11-02
Satellite Beach, FL

StephenRC

A couple of those reasons listed at the web site are not believable. Like the butterfly one, they ignore any other cause.
iknow_t

iknow_t to PSWired

to PSWired
said by PSWired:

said by iknow_t:

said by PSWired:

I looked into this a little more, and I must say that Monsanto's argument is pretty strong. See below:

Roundup products contain an active ingredient (glyphosate) which has extremely low mammalian toxicity as well as a surfactant (detergent) to help penetrate the waxy plant cuticle. It thus comes as no surprise that other components are more toxic to animals than glyphosate- so are table salt, aspirin, and caffeine. All soaps and detergents dissolve fats- that is what makes them work. Naked cells in the bottom of a petri dish are protected only by the cell membrane- made of fats- and guess what- if you put detergent on them, they don't do so well. Monsanto has replicated Seralini's work with a bit more care and variety of materials. While Seralini measures a variety of outcomes (like hormone production) in cell lines chosesn more for political value than scientific merit, the bottow line is that detergents disrupt cellular energy production by destroying membrane integrity.
The reality check here is that we all use soaps and detergents all the time- hair shampoo, liquid soaps, laundry detergents, diswashing soaps, etc. Exposure estimates indicate that LESS THAN 1% OF SURFACTANT EXPOSURE COMES FROM PESTICIDE RESIDUES- all the rest of it you are pouring on your dishes, in your washing machine, and over the top of your babies.
Not a problem?? Not a surprise- last I looked you were probably NOT a collection of naked cells living at the bottom of a petri dish and waiting for Dr. Seralini to puor on the Roundup. All those soaps, detergents, and sanitizers are, among other uses, INTENDED to kill those nasty, unprotected lower organisms that thrive on household surfaces!!
Daniel A. Goldstein, M.D.
Director, Medical Sciences and Outreach
The Monsanto Company

well, the federal government made strong arguments years ago, that agent orange was absolutely safe, the troops were so confident in that, they sprayed it on themselves in Vietnam to cool themselves off.. a few years ago, the EPA said the world trade center site contained nothing toxic, and the workers had nothing to be concerned about. that didn't work out good either.. it comes down to this, an entity with a vested interest cannot be trusted!!.