All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Grgcombs
@64.183.219.x

Grgcombs

Anon

FIOS FDH in Rural Burner, Home/Business service available?

A couple of years ago, Verizon bought a few square yards of our property in rural Burnet, TX, next to a cell tower on North US 281. They soon installed a FIOS FDH ground cabinet, and FIOS lines run the length of the highway between Burnet and Lampassas.

We're located too far from town for the fixed wireless service provider (5 mile limit due to terrain).

However, there's an FDH *right there*, yet no customer service at Verizon has any idea what I'm talking about regarding the cabinet and just throw up their hands saying they don't know anything about possible service at rural addresses.

We're willing to pay for whatever hardware we need to get (non-satellite) broadband to the house, and FIOS would be the best option imaginable.

Anyone have any tips or info on ordering service from a rural FDH?

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

This doesn't sound like FiOS service. I'm sure you could order DIA Metro E from Verizon Business. (a couple of thousand a month) »www.verizonenterprise.co ··· dicated/

However, it would probably be cheaper to get a cable company to do a plant extension and serve via fiber.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

McBane to Grgcombs

to Grgcombs
That doesn't make sense for a FiOS FDH to be out there when the closest FiOS from you is at least 200 miles away in either North Dallas or around Clear Lake (NASA area) in Houston.

I'm guessing that FDH is not for FiOS but probably for their MPLS network or something.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by McBane:

That doesn't make sense for a FiOS FDH to be out there when the closest FiOS from you is at least 200 miles away in either North Dallas or around Clear Lake (NASA area) in Houston.

I'm sure it's a fiber FDH and not FiOS related. Verizon/UUNET has tons of fiber that's outside of its ILEC markets. Same with Qwest/Centurylink, AT&T, etc.

You'll end up having to go with enterprise DIA if you even have a chance at getting it. A T1 with a telco, or Metro E with a cable company would likely be cheaper.
Matt7
join:2001-01-02
Columbus, OH

Matt7 to Grgcombs

to Grgcombs
said by Grgcombs :

A couple of years ago, Verizon bought a few square yards of our property in rural Burnet, TX, next to a cell tower on North US 281. They soon installed a FIOS FDH ground cabinet, and FIOS lines run the length of the highway between Burnet and Lampassas.

It's likely a Fiber FDH to feed that nearby cell phone tower.. If the cell tower is doing LTE (and most are now days in most areas or planned too).. They need large amounts of bandwidth to handle the LTE traffic. Makes sense to put a Fiber FDH near by but not actually provide FIOS (Residential or businesses services) in the area.