dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
mrdialup
join:2013-11-17

mrdialup

Test POTS Phone Numbers - Can You Share Yours?

OK, so I have been trying to find a list of reliable POTS phone numbers to test when I change something with my PBX. Strangely I have no problem finding SIP lines to test as there are lots of SIP test numbers, a list of which you can find here: »www.voip-info.org/wiki/v ··· +Numbers. I just wanted pure POTS lines. I have searched Google and unfortunately most of the ones I find are either out of service or international. So if anyone can share some active CONUS POTS test lines, it would be appreciated.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

I use the MCI ANAC number (800) 444-4444
hwittenb
join:2003-12-20

hwittenb to mrdialup

to mrdialup
I not sure they are "pure" pstn, however the following have an echo test, dtmf test, and more
1-408-647-4636
1-703-376-3246
1-206-456-0649

There is a reference to them here
»testmyphone.blogspot.com/

The MCI ANI Verification # is also
1 800 437 7950
hszeto (banned)
join:2002-06-05

hszeto (banned) to mrdialup

to mrdialup
I think there are fewer and fewer pure PSTN DIDs these days. Anyway, I would try followings:
Pre-session (early) media play-back: 1-800-426-7378 (IBM)
ANI play-back: 1-800-437-7950 (MCI) to check your ANI (Automatic Number Identification) (both calling ANI and charging ANI)
ANI play-back: 1-800-660-2626 (AT&T)
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to mrdialup

Premium Member

to mrdialup
AT&T Milliwatt test #

203-207-0960
mrdialup

mrdialup to hwittenb

to hwittenb
said by hwittenb:

1-703-376-3246
1-206-456-0649

I guess my phone failed the test. I call those two numbers, both ones a woman answers saying "This is ulaw" and then I get continuous DTMF. Hmm.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

It's supposed to say "This is ulaw. Please record your test message then press pound".
TheTestCall
Premium Member
join:2014-06-15

TheTestCall to mrdialup

Premium Member

to mrdialup
Using 703-376-3246 is deprecated. There are some serious audio quality issues there at times.

1-206-456-0649 is IPKall->SIP and has been the most reliable number of late. If you call this number via Google Voice (or through a Google Voice service provider) there appears to be CallingPartyNumber games to IPKall destinations and you'll appear as the familiar 2066820185 that others report seeing. I see hundreds of calls with this caller-id.

(In another life, I have a direct account with the Google Voice service provider and I see the same CallingPartyNumber games to IPKall numbers via our bulk termination routes)

1-40-VOIP-INFO is a Google Voice number that forwards to IPKALL and pretty reliable (if I've timed the answer about right to keep Google Voice happy. This used to be direct XMPP to Google Voice and that worked quite well but since May 15th, I've converted it to forward to IPKall. Obviously all calls this way get the same CallingPartyNumber games)

I'd be interested to know if all your calls get the DTMF tone after the codec announce.
mrdialup

mrdialup

said by TheTestCall:

I'd be interested to know if all your calls get the DTMF tone after the codec announce

Yep, that's right. Right after the woman says this is ulaw, it starts non stop #5 digit DTMF (or at least that is what it sounds like). Know I'm not pressing the key. Any idea what causes random continuous DTMF?
TheTestCall
Premium Member

TheTestCall

Premium Member

Odd. Does it happen on all three numbers including 703-376-3246? I am sending DTMF '1' on the 40-voip-info path to keep Google Voice happy, but I don't send DTMF in any other path ... just play prompts, read dtmf, record audio, playback other prompts and recorded audio. If it continues to happen, IM/PM a time we can debug live.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to mrdialup

Premium Member

to mrdialup
said by mrdialup:

OK, so I have been trying to find a list of reliable POTS phone numbers to test when I change something with my PBX. Strangely I have no problem finding SIP lines to test as there are lots of SIP test numbers, a list of which you can find here: »www.voip-info.org/wiki/v ··· +Numbers. I just wanted pure POTS lines. I have searched Google and unfortunately most of the ones I find are either out of service or international. So if anyone can share some active CONUS POTS test lines, it would be appreciated.

I am just curious what exactly are you looking for in the test?
mrdialup

1 recommendation

mrdialup

said by mazilo:

Is that a trick question? To test my stupid phones for goodness sake!
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by mrdialup:

said by mazilo:

But I am puzzled as well.

If for example you call a local store and say "what time do you close today" and they say "8 pm" then you're all done with testing.

Perhaps Mazilo and I both feel that you are looking for something more involved, more esoteric.
mrdialup

mrdialup

What I was looking for was as comprehensive as possible list of true POTS phone numbers that were true test numbers I.e. echo, DTMF, faxback , volume, time, etc. My Googling showed to me that a lot more of these numbers existed 10 or so years ago but I would guess they are quickly disappearing like pay phones and home phone lines. It should go without saying, but maybe I have to state the obvious, having a variety of numbers that are geographically diverse helps to ensure testing is performed under a more realistic scenario. It really is that simple.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

909-390-0003

Note: It may not ring, and no one says hello. Just wait a few seconds for it to connect, then talk and it will echo back your voice.

A Verizon California POTS number (former GTE).
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to mrdialup

Premium Member

to mrdialup
said by mrdialup:

said by mazilo:

Fortunately, you are wrong! Honestly, it is this post by PX that prompted me to ask such a question. After I read this wiki, I got me to think what tests will you perform on your PBX with a pure analog PSTN line. For sure, you can perform a MilliWatt test over a VoIP connection. However, how does one really measure the transmission lost (degradation) in terms of a MilliWatt over digital bits of information traversed through Internet? This leaves me to think perhaps you just wanted to test your VoIP equipment as you described in your post above. AFAICT, such a test is more likely related to an Internet connectivity.

BTW, is your PBX equipped with an FXO port connected to a PSTN line?
mrdialup

mrdialup

I found an old listing from dslreports that I guess I had overlooked. This one should cover my needs. Thanks for your input everyone.
Ole Juul
join:2013-04-27
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul to mrdialup

to mrdialup
You could call a BBS and check the stats on your modem. I just did that to remind myself how it works. Hit ATI6 to get the stats on USR modems. Yours may be different, but likely still uses the AT command set since it's pretty standard. On that call I got a 28800/28800 connection, which is pretty disappointing by old fashioned standards, but probably what we can expect these days. I'll leave you to report on that.

That's the poor man's version. I suppose you could also use an old leased line modem. Those often had comprehensive line diagnostics built in. I've got a couple of leased line modems, and one is Paradyne 3440 which cost thousands when new but now it's just junk to most people.
mikiee
join:2009-06-10
Saint Louis, MO

mikiee to mrdialup

to mrdialup
Care to share the link?
mrdialup

1 edit

mrdialup to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

If for example you call a local store and say "what time do you close today" and they say "8 pm" then you're all done with testing

That's well and good if your phone is working. But if you are trying something new, say Chan_mobile or some other thing which can take a while to get right (well at least for me as I am a little slow sometimes), I doubt my local stores would appreciate answering a call and having to say "Hello? Hello? Hellllloooo?" or "Sir I can barely hear you. Could you call back?". I just don't have that natural inate ability to irritate people like that.

Edit: Here's one I just came across. "202-456-9431 White House Situation Room". Whether that's a hoax number or not, I don't know. Care to call and ask what time the store closes?
Ole Juul
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul to mikiee

to mikiee
said by mikiee:

Care to share the link?

I've read through the thread twice because you said that. So, I have to ask what link you thought mrdialup was referencing.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to mrdialup

Premium Member

to mrdialup
said by mrdialup:

Care to call and ask what time the store closes?

I suspect the store in question is rather busy right now with the Isis Crisis and a myriad score of other problems.
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to Ole Juul

Premium Member

to Ole Juul
said by Ole Juul:

said by mikiee:

Care to share the link?

I've read through the thread twice because you said that. So, I have to ask what link you thought mrdialup was referencing.

Where he said:

[I found an old listing from dslreports that I guess I had overlooked.]
Ole Juul
Princeton, BC

Ole Juul

Thanks PX, your eyes are better than mine.

As for old listings. There's tons on hackcanada. Mostly from wardialing sprees in the late 90's, but how about The Canadian Test Number Compilation? It might still have a little relevance. Also working dialup BBS numbers on that site.

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

arpawocky to TheTestCall

Premium Member

to TheTestCall
On a side note Re the CallingPartyNumber games with google voice and some others..

I've wondered what would happen if say, one simply rejected calls to one's IPkall number with an ANI of 2066820185.. I wonder if GV is using some kind of LCR that would then fail over to another route, that might actually give the correct info..

When I've called your 206-456-0649 I would sometimes get the bad CallerID info and othertimes not - ended up tracing which routes (windstream, earthlink, and voxbeam which iirc was just handing it off to earthlink anyway) fiddled with it, and blacklisted those routes for high-cost-destinations.
TheTestCall
Premium Member

TheTestCall

Premium Member

I don't think GV is doing it. I think their provider (who I also buy service from directly) is doing it. I can stuff anything I want on outgoing calls via that provider and it gets delivered as expected anywhere except IPKall

If I dial IPKall numbers via any other provider, I get the expected callerid.

arpawocky
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

arpawocky

Premium Member

said by TheTestCall:

I don't think GV is doing it. I think their provider (who I also buy service from directly) is doing it.

Right. So, if GV has a "backup" provider, GV should fail over to that backup if the call fails initially. So, failing the call whenever the bogus callerids come up might help, IDK.
said by TheTestCall:

If I dial IPKall numbers via any other provider, I get the expected callerid.

Lately, to me at least, it seems more carriers fiddle with the callerid than send it properly.

Side note: Is your 206-456-0649 down? I tried calling via numerous carriers, including one regular cellphone and one POTS line + a whole bunch of voip carriers and nada. : /
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by arpawocky:

Side note: Is your 206-456-0649 down? I tried calling via numerous carriers, including one regular cellphone and one POTS line + a whole bunch of voip carriers and nada. : /

Worked for me using Localphone.
rickbarnett
join:2005-09-24
Springfield, VA

rickbarnett to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by mrdialup:

Care to call and ask what time the store closes?

I suspect the store in question is rather busy right now with the Isis Crisis and a myriad score of other problems.

I just called and rang right thru. Lovely female voice answered "Situation Room". I identified myself as Henry Kissinger (with appropriate accent) and asked if I had any messages.
She asked if I had any official business and suggested I call back later.

arpawocky
Premium Member
Columbus, OH

arpawocky to PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

Worked for me using Localphone.

Hmm. Voxbeam (localphone wholesale) was one of the carriers that was failing for me earlier today and last night, but it does seem to be working now.

Does your CLI get delivered properly to IPKall with localphone?

Tried using AT&T a few minutes ago (normally thats what works best for me for reaching IPKall numbers) got FAS! Tried AT&T to one of my own IPkall numbers, got FAS.

Tried using Quest/CenturyLink a few minutes ago - call went through, good CLI.

Gonna have to tweak my dialplan again.. *sigh*