spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Phil Benz
join:2014-06-10
USA

Phil Benz

[CDV] caller ID not working

Went to settings and in notifications caller ID is on.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

1 recommendation

plencnerb

Premium Member

Where is Caller ID not working? Meaning, is it not working on actual phones in your home, the TV (via settings with your cable box), or your computer, via the application you can download and install?

If its anything other then the actual phones in your home, there are known issues with both not working 100% all the time (TV and Computer). Last I looked, the computer part had to do with a change made on Comcast's side, and the development team (not Comcast, someone they hired / outsourced) did not make the needed changes for it to work. In regards to it not working on TV, I've see it work fine on one TV in my house, and not work on another one, with nothing different between the TV's (same make/model cable box). Then, out of the blue, the one that was not working would work again for a few days, and then stop working, without anything being changed on our end.

Contacting Comcast (chat or phone) won't get you anywhere with either the computer or tv caller id not working. They will have you try a bunch of things that won't help. I know because I've tried them all, and if you search the web for the same issue, a lot of other people have been down that road and nothing works.

--Brian
Phil Benz
join:2014-06-10
USA

Phil Benz

Sorry. It's with the TV. I thought there would be a phone Jack behind the box but no.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Netgear CM2050V
Netgear RBRE960
Netgear RBSE960

owlyn

MVM

plencnerb has described the issue. I was the person who was providing the inside information from Comcast. My contact at National Support moved to another department, so he can't really help now. They obtained a new vendor to redevelop the software, which was done and completed, but the service still is completely intermittent on the PC and TV. It is more reliable on the iPhone, but even that has intermittent problems, though less often. Between the issue and my home phone only being called by mass marketers, I don't care as much, and have given up.

Don't bother calling in to try to get it fixed. At best, they will have you try the usual ineffective fixes- unplugging, rebooting, sending a hit, etc. At worst they will break what you currently have working. Not worth the risk. The problem is actually on the server side (at Comcast). It started with an update in April 2012 that had to do with enabling the xfinity connect app. Maybe jlivingood will see this and take some action.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb to Phil Benz

Premium Member

to Phil Benz
As posted by owlyn See Profile above, they were the ones that provided a lot of the inside information on the side of things for Caller ID on the computer not working (btw, did not know that Caller ID on the TV was in the same mix, so that's good to know). I know there is thread on here where they talk about this in more detail. I did a quick search for it, but did not find it yet. If I do, I'll update this thread to include a link to it.

In regards to the TV side of things, let me tell you how things should be setup for it to work. Again, this assumes that all is well on Comcast's side of things, which, as owlyn See Profile pointed out, won't always be the case. By the way, you don't need a phone jack for it to work. The signal for Caller ID comes down the same line as everything else; the coax line.

The settings that need to be set on the cable box are as follows

Press the "Menu" button on your cable tv remote. That should bring up a screen with all kinds of options. One of them should be "Interactive TV".

Select that one, and you should see a screen with the following options

• Caller ID
• Snooze Duration
I think by default, Called ID should have a value of "ON", Snooze Duration should be set to 1 hour, and location should be set to "Bottom of Screen". Feel free to modify the last two as you see fit for your needs.

If Caller ID is currently ON, you can try changing it to off, exit out of the menu to save the change, and then go back in and turn it back on.

You can also try to unplug your cable tv box (leave it unplugged for 3 minutes), and then plug it back in and see what happens.

If it still does not work, there is not much else you can do except wait and see if it starts on its own.

--Brian