share rss forum feed

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

[Speed/Latency] Verizon Jetpack question

Hello, I have a Verizon Jetpack question, and I'm not certain which Verizon forum to put it in.... I did a search of Jetpack, and this forum had a prior hit on it... so....

If this is not the correct forum, please forward it, and thank you very much....

In a month, I'll be borrowing a Jetpack with 90 days of prepaid data... Assuming that I get a good connection, what data rate should I expect to get with this item??

I'll be at using it in a location that has good Verizon signals... Zipcode 28785

Thanks for any info you can pass along...
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
kudos:1

typically i see 5-12 but in some areas like Disneyland I have gotten 35 down 12 up

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to Jan Janowski

Thank you very much.... Been doing a search on this, and I'm finding that it's best to disable as much data sources as possible to keep from exhausting the 3Gb of data this comes with.... This will be used with one laptop only... no other devices....

I can exit WeatherMate, not download Email attachments (or do they count?), not do Windows Update while on this product... Nor do large FileZilla (We don't do movie transfers, have smartphone, or have TV or BR Player with those features)... All These all come to mind.....

Is there any other suggestions for changes in normal operating procedures that I should follow? (I'm onComcast cable and have never been alerted that I have exceeded any data limits, but at home I have (I think-- I'm not really sure I know) a 250G limit a month.

Thanks for the direction.....

Jan
--

mromero
Premium
The O.C.

1 recommendation

Install something like Networx which can track how much you download and upload. Just remember that anything you download or upload counts as data.

mromero
Premium
The O.C.

My Jetpack lets you see your usage, but its delayed. You could look on verizonwireless.com for the usage, which should be updated more frequently.

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL

1 edit
reply to mromero

Thank you very much for the Networx information...

Running it now. This will give me an idea of what I'm using normally...

EDIT Yes! Very nice program!

Jan
--

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mromero

In the past few days I've been "Practicing" with Networx and it has showed me where the bandwidth is being used, and by tweaking the programs, I'm seeing the useage fall...
Thanks mromero for this direction! !
--

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Jan Janowski

Click for full size
Click for full size
OK, I'm back from 2 week vacation at house with NO connections... The JetPack worked beautifully...

With you're help and assistance, I got a weeks use of Networx testing, where I severely cut back useage of data...

I'm enclosing two pics... One of speeds I got there, and one of the data useage from the day we left to the day we got back... There was a .040 Gigabyte discrepancy between Networx and Verizion regarding Data Useage, but that was due to the 'practicing' I did at home prior to vacation, and that contained an Adobe Photoshop raw update, so I'm not worried about that...

Overall I couldn't be happier.... I would have liked the data to be there until it is used... or be less pricey.... Time I believe is in my favor....
--