This video said it all cr@P.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· nl4HIHPY
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

He sure found a gem of a so-called desktop pc, not even a damn pci express available, 100mbit ethernet, and it doesn't have a real power supply. That case could have been much much smaller, but I guess they used that case to fool people into thinking it was a real computer.

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

This is by far the craziest thing I have seen in a long time.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

That hardware could have fit into one of those small itx cases, like those tiny mac minis, and I won't buy or build a system if I can't connect a monitor by dvi along with hdmi, you can always convert dvi-i to vga if needed for next to nothing.

I'm very sure he can build an i3 system that will be more powerful including paying for oem windows at retail costs, and actually provide upgrade/addon options.
»www.cpu-world.com/Compar ··· 130.html

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to jchambers28

MVM

to jchambers28
While I have to agree that I wouldn't use it, I won't build a PC for less than $750.

This machine has a place and people paying $350 for a machine aren't going to be upgrading it. I do think that it would be much better in a smaller case, but the larger case is so that they feel like they are buying a real computer.

I don't agree with the knock on the power supply. If we could make our machines more efficient we could use laptop style power supplies.

I also don't buy the comments on a #15 torx being required. HP uses phillips screws for all user serviceable parts. I also know that HP uses a #8 torx for its laptops and I've seen a #10, I don't ever recall seeing a #15.

When he was talking about cars he confused a Hyundi model as being manufactured by Honda.

Bottom line is that you get what you pay for.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to jchambers28

MVM

to jchambers28
HP has been trading on their name for years. They used to make good systems, but the arrival of budget brands like acer proved the general public cares more about the sticker price than the quality. So they cut more and more corners, while the budget brands build better quality.
A few years ago acer was junk, and anything with the HP logo was a safe bet. Now it is just the opposite.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

I quit buying HP after the second time using their support. Their support is horrible. After they go through the usual suggestions they tell you that your PC needs to go in for repair as they have no problem with equipment or software. And I also got tired of finding out that after the next operating system came out all the buttons on my printer and scanner did the same thing. HP still builds very good stuff though. I just bought a new Brother Printer and the first question I asked about the HP printers was what is your return policy because if I found a problem an HP unit would be right back. He showed me the Brother printers also and I have been very happy. I have had others tell me they had the same problem with HP.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

2 edits

KoRnGtL15 to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
The custom built Envy/Phoenix lines are good. I personally have a 1st gen. Phoenix custom built by HP system and have been very pleased with it. Its about 2 /12 years old now. Sandy Bridge i7 2600, 8gb ddr3 1333 ram, Intel 320 160gb ssd, 500gb WDCB hdd, 1gb 550 Ti, 600w psu and running Windows 8.1 Pro Update 1. Only thing I changed was the video card a bit over year ago with a 2GB EVGA Superclocked GTX 660. At the time of purchase. I got the system for $1,000. I could not build or touch that price with those kinda parts in it. To this day. Its still a very capable gaming machine at 1080p and plays them just fine at very good settings. My sister received a custom built Envy back in December of last year. Its a Ivy Bridge system i7 3770, 1tb hdd, 8gb ddr3 1600 ram, 460w psu, 550 Ti. She is using my old card since she is not to much of a gamer on PC. Only some times and her monitor is 1600x900 any ways. I will give her my 660 SC when I get a new build. I will be riding my current HP build out until Windows 9 hits and then get a new PC.

Unless it dies between now and then. I would have to get something new. Or keep the parts and just order a new mobo. Both of these pc's also come with a 2 year in home warranty. Or you can send it in with HP covering shipping to and from. And if you troubleshoot knowing what it is. HP will over night you the new part under warranty. Not saying he does not have a right to rag on HP. He does. That is a pathetic system for the money. But, if you get their custom builds. They are actually pretty good. Getting back to the pc shown. That thing is designed for about as basic as you can get. More then what a tablet could do. And most will never even bother to open the case or upgrade. Only to troubleshoot.

jerkoff
@69.118.94.x

jerkoff to jchambers28

Anon

to jchambers28
Anyone got a TLDR version, I mean like 10min in this guy has said nothing expect hey, it's costing me money to make this vid for you!

Only computer review that talks about cars, how other people are ripping you off... etc... and the guy just makes up things about cars... makes up profit margins... and I can't count how many times what he has said made no sense or was contradictory. Pretty much just an anti HP vid...

AH! 32bit and 64bit performance is identical WRONG. Guy who posted this is an idiot...

Everything this vid said is crap... this guy is crap...

Should re title it to "I hate hp here is my useless rant"

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

I did not make the video. Just showing people what you get when u buy cheap computers. In computers you get what you pay for.

jerkoff
@69.118.94.x

jerkoff

Anon

I meant the YT vid guy should re-title it.

All OP you showed me was this guys an asshole. I mean he looked like an asshole and once his mouth started moving I did not feel bad about judging him.

$350 pc, guy got a psu, apu, mobo, hdd, ram, case, front panel.

Seems like this is just him trying to sell his own built computers, EVERY computer takes forever to boot for the first time. (I just clicked around, did not watch the whole thing)

I don't like HP's but... the guy is an asshole, it aint a review it's a rant. 90% Of what I hear is him spewing his shit.

Please don't try to learn anything from this guy...
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus to jerkoff

Premium Member

to jerkoff
You might want to actually watch it, there is no way to do any real addon cards to the system, no pci express slots, etc.. It might as well came with a tiny box near the size of an mac mini, and the only reason it was in a case so large was to fool people into thinking it was a real desktop pc.

Yes he didn't even mention that 32-bit can't truly use all 4 GiB of ram.... but that's besides the point. He found a gem of a so-called desktop pc that wasn't desktop pc hardware.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

46 minutes, and OP didn't even provide a BLUF? Yeah... no thanks.

jchambers28
Premium Member
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28 to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
why did they even make this. Do people actually buy this crap?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

If they don't know any better, or they might never open the case in their life, well except for this case where it was shipped with the sata cable loose, however that might have gone right back to the store.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to jchambers28

Mod

to jchambers28
That guy was reasonably annoying.

OH MY GOD IT'S STILL BOOTING

Uh yeah it's a spinning disk drive and an underpowered computer.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to jchambers28

MVM

to jchambers28
Despite my distate for the business practices of HP the past few years, it is worth pointing out that this is a brand new computer, with warranty and Windows license for $319. It is sad to see their brand on such junk, but if they didn't make something for that price point, someone else would. And it wouldn't be much better.

At that price, consumers shouldn't expect an upgrade path. Or decent hardware. They should expect that it arrive with the SATA cable connected, but while I can see the possibility of one bad apple in the bunch, I rather question the accuracy of the review. He knew going into it that this was going to be a "look at this piece of junk" review, and I wouldn't rule out a little prep work inside the case to make sure it was.

Babar
Premium Member
join:2001-05-09
Washington

Babar to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
I wish he could pronounce McAfee
AsherN
Premium Member
join:2010-08-23
Thornhill, ON

AsherN to BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

to BlitzenZeus
said by BlitzenZeus:

You might want to actually watch it, there is no way to do any real addon cards to the system, no pci express slots, etc..

And the overwhelming majority of computers out there are never upgraded.

devicemanage
Premium Member
join:2002-03-16
Southampton, PA

devicemanage to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
I actually worked on an ACER which in my opinion is lower level that HP and they system was very similar. However it did have a bank to add a riser card for expansion cards. Either way the lesson here is you get what you pay for and that goes for anything in the computer industry. I thought the video was humorous and enjoyed watching it.

anonomeX
@71.207.157.x

anonomeX to jchambers28

Anon

to jchambers28
About HP & Torx... I have a Pavilion from 2009/2010 that I had to open up today to replace the hard drive. All of the screws holding down the case fan and drive cage are Torx15. Since that's the "newest" HP I have, I couldn't really say what HP uses now. All of the decade older HP boxes I've had used plain old Phillips or a hex driver.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
Is Dell pretty much the best OEM builder? I (unfortunately) have to recommend a build to someone I can't afford to build it for or play tech support to (a subordinate) and she has absolutely no computer knowledge at all.
Dan_in_FL
join:2010-03-23
Lake Worth, FL

Dan_in_FL to anonomeX

to anonomeX
I have a couple of HP systems from around that vintage. I think everything from 07-12 used the same hard drive cage (2 screws, depress tab, cage comes out with hard drive in it). Anyway, almost all the screws had a torx center and a long flathead cutout, so you could use either.

In any event Torx isn't exactly what I would call a specialty tool but thats jsut me.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
Dell is ok I guess, everyone is hit, and miss at some point.

I'll give you a story, and let you decide.... I was the one trying to help them in the end.

Somebody ordered a dell off the website when their old system died, arrived near doa, the motherboard wouldn't boot to any device, including their diagnostics on the hdd on a hidden partition, and more than likely didn't test the system before it shipped. After dealing with their cs they sent out a local contractor to replace the mobo, and hdd, they screwed it up bad, they left one of the mobo power connections off when powering it up. After connecting it the new mobo wouldn't even enter the bios, or do anything really except for a post test error. I told them to demand Dell replace it with a new system as they were insisting on replacing parts again. They've had a doa system for nearly a week now, and it took another week for the replacement to arrive. This one worked.

Afterwards they wanted the info off their old hdd, and I just put it in after their new hdd on the sata order. Win 8 refused to boot, but this could have been due to how they handle uefi in their bios with secure boot now, which had also been disabled as a test. In the end I didn't have an enclosure on me, and I had to make their old drive no longer bootable for Win 8 to boot with it in the system. The new drive was partitioned gpt, and the old drive was partitioned mbr. I never could figure out exactly why, but did see that there were already six partitions on the gpt drive, which one was the boot drive for windows, the large os drive, and presumably three for system recovery with one being for the dell diagnostics. FYI with the new hdd disconnected that damn bios will always give a F1 error as it can't find it's diagnostics, or recovery partition on the hdd.

Another person bought a Dell from a local store this time as I directed them too, it was actually cheaper than the Dell website, and it worked fine out of the box.

I understand, I hate being the one they always call if I build it for them, but in the end they usually ask me anyway, however at least they'll have to go through Dell for the rma stuff instead of me.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Well, there are nightmare stories with every brand.

Have you heard my story about my Asus motherboard and NZXT power supply? I went through two motherboards initially to get a working one (first DOA, second had a dead memory channel), then another board and two NZXT power supplies and even had to replace my i7 CPU. And these weren't cheap parts--an Asus Maximus mobo (~$330) and NZXT Hale90 PSU (~$220).

And I still am sorting out bugs (why it freezes after booting with a second 290X). I have not had this much trouble with a DIY system, ever.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

Depending on their needs they could always pay the apple tax, and let the 'Geniuses' handle it.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

That's true. I showed her the Inspiron 3000 desktop as a general use option, and then brought up the ultrabook/Macbook Air possibility as well.

Ian1
Premium Member
join:2002-06-18
ON

Ian1 to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
I usually build my own, but I was able to get an HP Envy-H8-1419 off of Ebay (still in OEM packaging), but sold as re-furbed for $400, 6 months ago. Couldn't pass that up. Couldn't buy the I7-3770 and 12-Gig of Ram for that little then, never mind everything else. So I considered worst case scenario would be to transfer some components to a new case and put in a better MOBO. I ditched the mediocre AMD card it came with and threw in an over-clocked GTX 760. Games at 1920 x 1080 screaming as is. It's very quiet too. Build quality seems excellent. I think it's as others have said, the build quality varies with price point, but some OEM PCs are still decent.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28
What a waste of space inside that tower.
I've checked out a few OEMs that are display models in Staples. I turned the units around to check for what types of ports there are... there are shockingly little to no expansion slots, and the inside of the PC is a tiny shitty little motherboard like the one in the video! Although I did not actually open the case... you could tell just by how lite it was and by looking through the ventilation holes.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

1 recommendation

Boricua

Premium Member

said by Dustyn:

What a waste of space inside that tower.
I've checked out a few OEMs that are display models in Staples. I turned the units around to check for what types of ports there are... there are shockingly little to no expansion slots, and the inside of the PC is a tiny shitty little motherboard like the one in the video! Although I did not actually open the case... you could tell just by how lite it was and by looking through the ventilation holes.

Ha, if I'm at the store and feel like checking out a desktop, I open that shit up. I HAVE to see what's in there.