join:2004-09-12
land of big

5 recommendations

goalieskates

Premium Member

The Nightmare on Connected Home Street

Wired
quote:
I wake up at four to some old-timey dubstep spewing from my pillows. The lights are flashing. My alarm clock is blasting Skrillex or Deadmau5 or something, I don’t know. I never listened to dubstep, and in fact the entire genre is on my banned list. You see, my house has a virus again.

Technically it’s malware. But there’s no patch yet, and pretty much everyone’s got it. Homes up and down the block are lit up, even at this early hour. Thankfully this one is fairly benign. It sets off the alarm with music I blacklisted decades ago on Pandora. It takes a picture of me as I get out of the shower every morning and uploads it to Facebook. No big deal.
Enjoy.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3

Premium Member

Apparently most surveyed think this is great:
»www.eweek.com/networking ··· ays.html

BUT:
»www.tgdaily.com/startups ··· internet

If it's a utility, you don't have much choice, unfortunately. They read data off light poles with receivers on a per block basis here.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 edit

1 recommendation

StuartMW to goalieskates

Premium Member

to goalieskates
said by Mat Honan :

No big deal.

And sadly that says everything you need to know right there

It's the attitude of those that prefer their toys to knowledge of the (bad) side effects they may have.

PS: I'm well aware that the article is fictional.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

said by StuartMW:

PS: I'm well aware that the article is fictional.

It may be fictional now....give it a few years.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

1 recommendation

nonymous (banned) to goalieskates

to goalieskates
So they upload a picture after I shower to facebook. That will punish them enough.
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to goalieskates

MVM

to goalieskates
...reminds me of the story where the car industry struck back at Microsoft's Bill Gates? when he
lambasted them for how "backwards" detroit was, and it was eyeopening then just how dependent
we are on computers, and just how much s**t we're willing to not care about any more...

...not QUITE a distopian society, but sorry, I don't want this as my reality.

/goes back to goal of setting off an EMP pulse to nuke all electronics globally [/sarcasm]

Regards
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to goalieskates

to goalieskates
Maybe also depends on how I connect. Am I connecting directly to the device or is the device connecting to a third party service then I connect to the service.
They use the oh you dont have a static IP on the device. The device doesnt know where you are. So to help you the device can always find us. The device swnds us its streaming data then when you login remotely you get the data from us. We promise not to snoop.
In most cases they could just set up to monito the devices dynamic IP and let you login directly to the device but on premise of say QOS, storing all data for future use etc. they put forth the argument better the data is routed from the device to them.
Also, some things should just have say a physical disconnect. Like security cameras and baby monitors. Good for say babysitters not 100% trusted. Even tell them upfront and say dont sneak away from camera with kid. But when home no matter how secure the login just pull the cord to net.
Same say with heating and cooling. HVAC with secure login could be good on vacation or weekend away. Say a quick weekend away. All of a sudden supper cold snap. Didnt turn off water as just a quick weekend trip. Check to make sure house has heat if not call a friend to check so dont come ho,e to burst frozen pipes. If check and has heat dont bother friend. Plus same physical disconnect when not needed. Also, direct connection except maybe a service to keep track of dynamic IP. Heck just one service to keep track of dynamic IP for everything.
Then one internal network for net facing devices setup with corresponding firewall rules to allow only needed connections for them. Then another network more secure for say your banking work, work, private use computer.

carpetshark3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO

carpetshark3 to goalieskates

Premium Member

to goalieskates
»www.theregister.co.uk/20 ··· fantasy/

All a damn smart home would tell me is if the cat used the pan. With one particular cat, I don't need to be told, I can smell it 2 rooms away. What I need is a robot that will scoop the damn pan, not an app flashing an alert on my cell phone.