Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits

[General] Wow... I'm Embarrassed for Verizon... Prepaid Jetpack

This was a Father's Day Gift from my daughter...
Some Gift!

So Far, I've spent 2 hours on the phone, and 1 hour at a Verizon Store, and over an hour at home trying to contact support... It still won't authorize the prepaid card.......

Have a Prepaid Jetpack.... SIM Authorization didn't work... Called support, and they say go to Verizon store...
So I Did... They got SIM authorization done, got me a Phone #, but say they've never seen the prepaid card, don't know what to do, call support when I get home....
OK... I go home, Call Support with my new Verizon Number, and after accepting my Phone number for Jetpack, automated response says: "We're Having Technical Difficulties, please call back later!"

I've waited over an hour, and I am still unable to contact Support, so I login to Jetpack connection, but when it links to a website I'm greeted with an for multi-year contract....

This is prepaid Hot Spot.. It says it all over the paperwork!!!

Any Verizon staff lurking?
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
It's finally registered and prepaid.

I posted in Verizon Direct forum, and fellow there said it's not his dept, but sent me phone number, who knew about the Prepaid Units but didn't know how to support them, and She transferred me to the "PREPAY Dept"... Who did know what to do, and she was very good at determining what went wrong earlier.. Aparantly something wasn't entered correctly a Verizon store earlier, and put me in an endless loop.... Number assigned, but couldn't proceed due to error somewhere...

This product is sold 2 different ways, and aparantly not all know the Prepay route!

Anyway, PrePay Credit applied.... system works, and after a firmware upgrade, SSID name and password change... Tested with a couple power cycles at each end.... and everything looks good...

Total time on SIM & Prepay registering: Nearly 6 hours!

Thanks to the 5 or 6 people that helped!

Whew!
--

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to Jan Janowski
Glad it worked out for you in the long run. I have been tempted to look into on of these for traveling, but still am having a hard time deciding if I really want to or not.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
Though it's my first foray into data packages, I feel they are too pricey, unless it has something to do with the Prepay and intermittent usage of the unit.. $60 for 3G of data, $90 for 10G of data, and it has a double whammy of a 90 day time-out.
In doing a search on this product, it appears that 10G per month is the largest package you can get even with a contract.... (mine is prepay).

I'm only needing it 2 or 3 times a year, max of 2 weeks at a time, for internet use for the laptop, and that location has good Verizon coverage (I'm using one of their mobile telephone wireless connects there now as the house phone...)
So for now, the Prepay unit will hopefully be the best unit for my intermittent needs ...

If that location becomes permanent, then we'll have to come up with something else..

That location is halfway up the side of a mountain.
--

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA
you can get up to 50gb on it (maybe not on prepaid but on contract side you can. 2gb steps up to 20gb, then 10gb steps up to 50)

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
reply to Jan Janowski
If you have SPRINT coverage in your area, get a Virgin Mobile Hotspot.
Netgear Mingle LTE device.

The account doesn't expire for 1 year, and you just add money as you need it.

since you stated that you don't need it all the time.
they had a 500mb for $5 per day......1.5gb for $20, and 6GB for $55
I got one just for backup.

compuguybna

join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN
Reviews:
·Millenicom
·HughesNet Satell..
·ooma
·Virgin Mobile Br..
reply to tdumaine
I would NOT EVEN want to ask what a 50GB plan would cost on a Verizon prepaid device...

said by tdumaine:

you can get up to 50gb on it (maybe not on prepaid but on contract side you can. 2gb steps up to 20gb, then 10gb steps up to 50)

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA
said by compuguybna:

I would NOT EVEN want to ask what a 50GB plan would cost on a Verizon prepaid device...

said by tdumaine:

it's $300 if i remember correctly (thats just the data, not device access, etc)

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to compuguybna
I'm led to believe from Daughter that this is going to become family 'shared hardware'... Whoever needs it borrows it, feeds it, and then returns it to a common location......
Last night I sent an email to all involved with all the pertinent information regarding this unit... I was just the first to use it..

At the mountain house, My T-Mobile phone (links to ATT there, with horrid Signal Strength). The folks there all swear by Verizon, and most have no telephone line to their houses and use a small box with antenna on it--- Instant Phone!
--

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Verizon Home Connect. Wireless Home Phone. $19.95/mo

Jan Janowski
Premium
Skokie, IL

1 edit
Yep! That's what I use for phone there. I can take it with me if I wanted....
--

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
I have my answering machine that is on a small dedicated UPS plugged into it with it's 4 remotes that allow phone service in power outages.

xrayman

join:2008-12-09
Kansas City
We dumped the local POTs line and went with the Straight Talk Home Phone. I think it is the same Verizon device branded with the Straight Talk name. It is on the same Verizon network. When you first set it up you get a Verizon recording during the activation process. I fill it up with some 30 day refill cards that cost $15 each plus local sales tax that I get at W-world. If you buy the refills online they charge more taxes. It has worked very good, no problems at all. It gave us a big savings over our old phone bill that could be over $100 with long distance charges.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
I also use Straight Talk Home phone since I dropped my POTS line. It costs $15 per month and I use auto refill with my credit card. It works great. It can be taken anywhere and used that has Verizon phone coverage.

Kremsgar

@173.209.211.x
reply to Jack_in_VA
Hey do u mean USB not UPS??