Tell me more x
, there is a new speed test available. Give it a try, leave feedback!
dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ikyuaoki

join:2011-04-12
Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

ethernet settings

thought that you might want to disable the interrupt moderation settings in the Ethernet settings or the wireless settings if it is available, to get lower latency if you have a good multiple processor cores CPU so the lag issues would go away.

I tried this, it was worked for me.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:20
Got any screen shots of where to do that?

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to ikyuaoki
Click for full size
that circles that shows to point

that circles are pointing to that settings
here's some sample of demo screenshot what I made to my Ethernet settings

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
said by ikyuaoki:

here's some sample of demo screenshot what I made to my Ethernet settings

Any before and after ping/latency examples to show the effect?
--
---You cannot fix a problem that you refuse to acknowledge.

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit
reply to ikyuaoki

that one with an interrupt moderation enabled

that one with an interrupt moderation disabled

odog
Cable Centric Vendor Biased
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA
kudos:19
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ikyuaoki
No discernible difference.

Enabled

Disabled

phxuser

join:2010-03-16
Scottsdale, AZ
reply to ikyuaoki
There may be something to this since I have the same hardware.

Moderation enabled:

Moderation disabled:

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to ikyuaoki
My ethernet card doesn't have that particular option

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
said by DrDrew:

My ethernet card doesn't have that particular option

I see. maybe you could update your Ethernet card firmware if you can. if not, you could buy a new Ethernet card that have a interrupt moderation setting feature.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
After checking a few systems, it appears that Realtek cards offer this option, and Intel cards do not.

This is why you see a difference in test measurements:
»msdn.microsoft.com/en-us ··· 85).aspx

Interrupt Moderation

To reduce the number of interrupts, many NICs use interrupt moderation. With interrupt moderation, the NIC hardware will not generate an interrupt immediately after it receives a packet. Instead, the hardware waits for more packets to arrive, or for a time-out to expire, before generating an interrupt. The hardware vendor specifies the maximum number of packets, time-out interval, or other interrupt moderation algorithm.

The measured round-trip time for a packet is one of the most commonly used techniques to determine the network bandwidth between two endpoints. However, when interrupt moderation is enabled, receiving a packet does not generate an immediate interrupt and therefore the perceived round-trip time for a particular packet becomes larger than the average time. To allow accurate measurement of round trip time for a packet, NDIS provides the ability to disable and enable interrupt moderation on demand.

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
yeah I have looked at MSDN before about this interrupt moderation.

If I were going to intel network card then I would get this server NIC version card.

MarkRH
Premium
join:2005-02-08
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to ikyuaoki
I have the Realtek card with that option. Other than better numbers on Ping Tests, any real-world benefits?

I don't have any problems with gaming, watching videos, streaming, or file transfers.

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
it's up to you, feel free to make an adjust to try it what's works for you.

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to ikyuaoki
FYI, I am gonna to stick with realtek NIC only, not intel NIC anyway for my another a new killer computer machine where the killer E2200 is gaming NIC, also I will add this realtek dual NIC card PCI express 1x for that

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to ikyuaoki
another interesting topic about that having this interrupt moderation enabled would increase the latency times.

»superuser.com/questions/ ··· ork-card

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to ikyuaoki
Disabled

Enabled

They are the same for me.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to MarkRH
said by MarkRH:

I have the Realtek card with that option. Other than better numbers on Ping Tests, any real-world benefits?

I don't have any problems with gaming, watching videos, streaming, or file transfers.

Performance should actually be better with Interrupt Moderation enabled, but the way it functions interferes with accurate results reporting on ping and speed tests.

Rakeesh

join:2011-10-30
Mesa, AZ
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Cox HSI
reply to ikyuaoki
said by ikyuaoki:

yeah I have looked at MSDN before about this interrupt moderation.

If I were going to intel network card then I would get this server NIC version card.

I wouldn't. You'll pay a lot more and probably not see any real benefit. Besides, their modern server grade hardware is typically intended to be virtualized fore directIO operations (removes the need for the VM to emulate a NIC, granting multiple VMs simultaneous access to the hardware at once.) A neat feature for sure, but desktop users will get no use out of it, unless of course your primary OS kernel happens to be a hypervisor.

IMO by far the best desktop NICs are intel PHY adapters, which feature entirely hardware driven (as opposed to mostly software driven) functions, in addition to being connected directly to PCIe or SMBus (as opposed to having an intermediary controller of some sort, like realtek often does.)

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
thanks for input. I decided that I'd went to with Killer NIC embedded chipset motherboard, realtek dual NIC adapter PCI express card.

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
Not to down your interesting post, but why do you seem so interested in registry entries and adjusting settings without fully understanding what they do? Do you like to tinker? Are you studying for something? I only mention it because it seems like a trend. I hate the status quo more than anyone, but there is a fine line between tweaking for performance and tweaking for false positives IMO.

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
because I'm interested in the registry entries stuff and making a right adjusting settings in order to make my computer looks to be professional grade also I have adjusted the windows firewall to block both bidirectional link of downlink and uplink and I allows only a certainly programs can be run on it according to my custom rules e.g. allows programs to run on TCP,UDP and ICMP protocols in hole of firewall barrier but if not related to outside programs in match will be blocked incoming or going outcoming out of the firewall barrier.

I'd ignores the risk of exposed to registry editing but I get greater rewarded as I learned about making that computer runs better optimize performance as I studied somewhere else on tweaking sites and professional IT sites or on MSDN site.

ikyuaoki

Wichita, KS
reply to phxuser
nice effect what you get. if you want lower latency then go for this disabled interrupt moderation.

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to ikyuaoki
See, something just seems off about your post. The wording seems...forced? Im not trying to be mean, its just something I have always wondered. You seem like a smart nice person, who enjoys helping, so please don't take this as me picking on you. Maybe its a language issue? Or just your writing style? Am I alone in this?