to JC_

Re: Fort Erie Fibre to the Home

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
From Renfrew
Click for full size
Click for full size
Grey box - not sure if fibre or copper fed?
Here are some pictures.... they are actually not that gray when I look at them except for one! LOL Sorry.

But I see these grey boxes around my area alot, along with the black ones....

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

Pictures 1, 4 & 5: Are terminals for copper, just different ages between black and silver, the black ones are newer.
Picture 2: Is an inline terminal for copper, there are also grey ones.
Picture 3: Has 3 different items; an OPI, a 7330 and older splice box.
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by JC_:

Pictures 1, 4 & 5: Are terminals for copper, just different ages between black and silver, the black ones are newer.

Thanks for the info.... what "box" do they use when the convert from fibre to copper? Or do they do that within some of the pictures junction boxes?

I assume the lines that were run in the pictures were all fibre??

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by jumpingryan:

said by JC_:

Thanks for the info.... what "box" do they use when the convert from fibre to copper? Or do they do that within some of the pictures junction boxes?

I assume the lines that were run in the pictures were all fibre??

The 7330 is fibre fed for DSL and the cards in the 7330 are where it gets converted to copper.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

Interesting then. I assumed some of the pictures were fibre lines.... when they might be newer copper?

What's the key indiciator for aerial fibre? Those ultra huge fibre cans?

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by jumpingryan:

What's the key indiciator for aerial fibre?

Look for the orange tags on the cable, that's what Bell uses for fibre.

thin_flim
@bell.ca

thin_flim

Anon

said by JC_:

Look for the orange tags on the cable, that's what Bell uses for fibre

I'm not so sure about that, or else Bell's notorious clown contractors like Aecon aren't following cable tag conventions by the book. In the Kitchener area, I've noticed those orange circle tags on old copper distribution cables; whenever a pole is replaced or any kind of line maintenance, those orange circle tags are attached, no matter whether it's fibre or copper. I know of one location in particular where there's no fibre cable of any kind by any telco, and an orange circle tag was hung on an old Bell copper distribution cable years ago -- I think it just identifies the line as Bell plant and not owned by any of their competitors. The "spiral wrap" tags are a different story -- their colour seem to always indicate whose fibre cable it is; it's confusing in Kitchener where white used to indicate Fibretech/Atria until Rogers bought them out, so now white and yellow both mean Rogers.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by thin_flim :

said by JC_:

Look for the orange tags on the cable, that's what Bell uses for fibre

I'm not so sure about that, or else Bell's notorious clown contractors like Aecon aren't following cable tag conventions by the book. In the Kitchener area, I've noticed those orange circle tags on old copper distribution cables; whenever a pole is replaced or any kind of line maintenance, those orange circle tags are attached, no matter whether it's fibre or copper. I know of one location in particular where there's no fibre cable of any kind by any telco, and an orange circle tag was hung on an old Bell copper distribution cable years ago -- I think it just identifies the line as Bell plant and not owned by any of their competitors. The "spiral wrap" tags are a different story -- their colour seem to always indicate whose fibre cable it is; it's confusing in Kitchener where white used to indicate Fibretech/Atria until Rogers bought them out, so now white and yellow both mean Rogers.

The orange fibre tags are rectangular. The circular tags are actually yellow and they say "Copper Cable" on them.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Well it seems streetview has been updated.

»www.google.ca/maps/@42.9 ··· bv3w!2e0

This is the one street that I keep talking about, it used to be aerial copper but they switched to underground fibre. And those are what the little vaults look like. Up on the north side of Lindbergh Drive they have a mixture of peds and vaults.
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan to JC_

to JC_
Click for full size
Achray Road
Click for full size
Achray Road
Click for full size
Achray and Biesenthal Road
Click for full size
Achray and Biesenthal Road
Click for full size
B-Line and Achray.
Click for full size
Achray and Wiesenthal Road Node
Don't know if this will piss off Gone since the topic is Fort Erie FTTH, and not Pembroke Fibre to the pole or nowhere... LOL! But anyways.....

I noticed a spot near the snowmobile trails and came back to grab some shots. Pembroke is probably in the works for FTTH, but right now, I think they are just getting they nodes in places and interconnected. There is alot of them popping up, and people are getting some good connections through copper (except me.. but that is another story).

Anyways, here is a few pictures of the beginnings of FTTH... the interconnections between 7330 nodes through fibre, and the copper still strung up for the last mile.

I assume it will be replaced in the near future.... (the copper)

Anyways, with a good closeup, you can see the tags that JCohen talks about.... and the two lines. I also added in the nodes I believe the fibre lines connect. The one of Biesenthal was originally a stinger installed as far back as 2009/10

This area is actually pretty sparsely populated... 1 to 5 acre lots.... and bigger. I once looked at a house there within 1 KM of one of these nodes that was on 99 acres when I was buying in 2011. It goes to show Bell is doing some good work in many rural areas.

Anyways, the pictures should show some examples of the old and new tags... found it interesting that I could grab them in one shot.

The circular tags on my old copper run are missing, except for one, that I wouldn't call either yellow or orange... more like the colour of "faded".... certainly nothing like the condition of these ones.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Nothing there looks like it's for FTTH. But interesting enough, that's the first time I've seen that style of power node in brown.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to jumpingryan

Premium Member

to jumpingryan
Never seen a brown power node with one of the beige 7330 cabinets like that, they must've run out of beige ones when they did that install.

None of those pics would indicate an FTTH install, however in the future the fibre that's been run to the 7330's could be reused for a GPON build out if the 7330's are decommissioned.
said by jumpingryan:

The circular tags on my old copper run are missing, except for one, that I wouldn't call either yellow or orange... more like the colour of "faded".... certainly nothing like the condition of these ones.

The tags were yellow... once upon a time :P
jumpingryan
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by JC_:

None of those pics would indicate an FTTH install, however in the future the fibre that's been run to the 7330's could be reused for a GPON build out if the 7330's are decommissioned.

Do they re-use the cabinets at all, or is it easier to just scrap the old and high-hab in a new one?

I figure Pembroke/Petawawa is a few years off for FTTH... but I figure they are putting the pieces in place slowly as part of the grand strategy. Peterborough is being done, and Thunder Bay..... in terms of cities/urban areas there won't there won't be too many left after that.

I suspect that this area possibly being old Bell Alliant (from my understanding), might prejudice things further in terms of expansion?

NRTC FTTH here puts a damper on Bell's fibre in Petawawa, but I would say they are still quite small (and without huge amounts of captial), and limited to only the most built up areas.

Bell can afford more risk in the sense of more open, sparsely populated areas... where the choice is Xplornet satellite, or dialup and perhaps Turbo/Rocket hubs.

In reality, alot of people (including myself) would do just fine with Fibre to the pole and copper... although like Gone, I will be converting the day it is available.... I will likely also almost always have the top package available for any sort of net.

I would be happy with FTTN and DSL myself... even if less than 5Mbps download! LOL This is one of 2 cabinets that are 5 KM or less from me line/road distance.... But unfortunately my lines don't run through either! Anyways!!!

What's your opinion of the silver can dumped in the snow, and all the garbage bag stuff? A network in transition? LOL
jumpingryan

jumpingryan to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

Nothing there looks like it's for FTTH. But interesting enough, that's the first time I've seen that style of power node in brown.

As mentioned in my recent reply, could be the fact that we might have been Bell Alliant at one time.... although one of the 7330's is fairly new in placement (B-Line Road)... perhaps within the past year and a half.

Bell Alliant was supposedly my area, but it wasn't like it showed at all. I don't ever recall seeing Alliant advertised trucks and the like (not like the east coast, where it was a brand).

I suspect FTTH is quite a few years off here.... but I have seen alot of expansion on the FTTN and pole.... hopefully things are being put into place for that.

I will head down Black Bay sometime in the next few days (maybe by snowmobile), and get a picture of some of the stuff they put up there.... it is within the past year and half or so....

I suspect they tied the upgrades in to support a cell Tower, and apparently got some government funding. Bell is shady when it justifies areas alot of times to government.... it certainly isn't always in the interests of "just providing service to help people out!" LOL But then, so are all telephone companies!

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

So it looks like they've got fibre strung in most of Thunder Bay and now have some wired up in the north-end of Crystal Beach around Schooley and Mitchner.

And yeah, they have that white CSP on Bernard at Dominion, but didn't see any fibre. And there's absolutely no activity in either Oakhill Forest, Buffalo Heights or Crescent Park.
Gone

Gone

Premium Member

Been a while, but here are some updates:

* There's a new CSP-288 on Central Avenue between Dufferin and Phipps in the north-end next to an FDI installed last summer. Conduit has been installed to the aerial poles in the area.

* Looks like a new CSP-576 is about to be installed on Crescent Road, with conduit installed to the poles for aerial fibre. This is the first work in Crescent Park so far. This one is unique though, as they're also in the process of installing underground conduit through an entire underground-serviced subdivision on Brian and Dexter. All services in this area are underground, including hydro. This is the first time they'll be doing an install in an area like this in town.

Haven't been out much to the east end of town, but there is a CSP-576 and aerial fibre in the northwestern part of Crystal Beach, and deployment continues in Thunder Bay. Lots of CSPs and fibre have been installed in the rural areas.
canuckpilot
join:2008-04-27
Guelph, ON

canuckpilot

We finally had an aerial terminal installed a week ago on Helena on the pole by our building, they are just updating their qualification system, but I should be able to place an order tomorrow afternoon.

Not sure what else is going on in the area. Haven't seen much work going on in Ridgeway lately, and it looks like of all the drops installed along T-Bay road, none of them have been used yet.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Dufferin and Phipps between Central and the Boulevard were strung up this week and Crescent is seeing some work including a full underground install on Brian and Dexter with Englewood Court painted up. They're getting ready on Gilmore between Concession and Central. There's a new GLB on Gilmore in front of the park but I can't find a CSP. AUE has also been out in Garrison Village doing measurements.

TNK
join:2011-03-22
HNVION17

TNK to JC_

to JC_
That power node is for the DMS cabinet behind that OPI.

In cases where they put 7330's next to remotes like that one, there's no need for an additional one as hydro is already run there. They're merely plugging in the slam to the existing supply!

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by TNK:

That power node is for the DMS cabinet behind that OPI.

In cases where they put 7330's next to remotes like that one, there's no need for an additional one as hydro is already run there. They're merely plugging in the slam to the existing supply!

Really old post, but the picture in question was this on »i.dslr.net/syms/d0217a1a ··· 36e8.jpg, you can see the brown power node next the beige 7330 cabinet.
canuckpilot
Guelph, ON

canuckpilot to Gone

to Gone
Click for full size
Hey Gone,

Any updates on the deployment in Fort Erie? Our OLT on Helena was installed at the end of May after bell extended a optical terminal to the pole in front of the office, and haven't had any issues with it. I saw in another post of yours about the gigabit announcement that they started painting markings for possible deployment in Garrison Village (which I believe is where you said you are), but I haven't been back for a month so I've lost touch with the deployment.

I have been running the qualification tool on some addresses along Thunder Bay Road where I had posted pictures of the work this past winter, but they aren't live yet. Saw the bell guys out doing some splicing along Bernard between Dominion and Nigh last time I was home as well (including at that box on the NE corner of Bernard/Dominion)...

Ridgeway by the Lake is also starting the next phase of development where the golf course used to be (Beam Excavating is doing the prep work), and I imagine with the proximity of fibre there, it will all be FTTH as part of the build up.

Cheers

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

That CSP on Bernard is for FTTH that extends east along Dominion that just went up. And yeah, QX was in Garrison Village doing locates. AUE was out a few weeks prior doing GPS measurements. AUE and QX have also been out on Gilmore near Central. And a new large CSP has gone in on Dominion near Ridge, with a *lot* of exposed conduit on Ridge Road going north toward Nigh. And there's yet another CSP in the North End on Phipps.

There is a lot of new subdivision activity going on in Fort Erie right now. RBTL Phase III would most certainly be Greenfield FTTH. So is South Coast Village in Crystal Beach. Not sure if they're going to build out Phase I and II at the same time. Spears Road Estates is also underway right now. I'm curious if they will actually be installing a new CSP just for that subdivision, or if they'll be feeding in to the active on on Spears near Garrison. When I saw that CSP I actually thought it was for the subdivision, as it was installed by Telcon at the same time as the one on King months before any other FTTH work started. That one on King, as far as I know, is *still* inactive, unless they built out FTTS for the apartment in behind it and decided to install an outdoor CSP rather than one in the basement.
canuckpilot
Guelph, ON

canuckpilot to Gone

to Gone
I'm curious to see how they are going to do the installs on all of the properties on the lake side of Thunder Bay Rd. When I was watching them put in the fibre, they did aerial on the north side, and did pedestals and underground on the south side, and put them alongside the existing copper pedestals.

Most of the homes there are at minimum a few hundred feet from the road/pedestals. It's certainly not going to be as simple as an aerial install on the opposite side of the road, especially during the winter months...

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Direct burial fibre. They'll string it up temporarily until the spring when they can use one of those machines that the cable company uses to place it just below the surface.

I'm curious what they're going to do for homes like mine that receive their phone, cable and hydro through aerial supply, but transition them to underground on the pole for delivery to the home. Stringing up an aerial fibre and installing an anchor on my home when everything else is underground would kind of piss me off.

FTTHTechie
@start.ca

FTTHTechie

Anon

said by Gone:

Direct burial fibre. They'll string it up temporarily until the spring when they can use one of those machines that the cable company uses to place it just below the surface.

I'm curious what they're going to do for homes like mine that receive their phone, cable and hydro through aerial supply, but transition them to underground on the pole for delivery to the home. Stringing up an aerial fibre and installing an anchor on my home when everything else is underground would kind of piss me off.

Just out of curiosity what incentive does Bell have to deploy Brownfield FTTH in Fort Erie considering many areas in Ontario can only get 5/1 at best even with sizeable populations.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

It's not just Fort Erie. Pretty much anywhere in Niagara that doesn't have FTTN already is getting FTTH right now, including parts of Niagara Falls, Welland and St. Catharines where there is no FTTN even though other parts of the cities already have it.

I assume their "incentive" is the same as FTTN or FTTH anywhere else.
canuckpilot
Guelph, ON

canuckpilot to Gone

to Gone
I would suspect that they will use existing conduit to do the install for you... I'm a little OCD and some bullshit aerial cop-out of an install when everything else is underground would drive me crazy.

I know when we had the fibre done on Helena, the day the installer came, he couldn't do the job because we had an existing bell-installed conduit from the pole to our building and he was just the OLT/termination guy, not a cabling person. This is despite the fact that I had expressly stated multiple times when placing the order by phone that it HAD to be run through the conduit. This was bell installed conduit (so they had the drawings), that they had put in 5 yrs ago when we were having trouble with DSL over our copper.

I have to laugh though, as when I placed the order for internet I was told I had the choice to move our remaining analog line (primary fax and alarm) to the fibre service or I would incur a dry-loop fee for internet only. Combining the two over fibre meant my $65/mo phone bill went up to $85/mo for phone and 10/10 service which we use as a backup. The kicker to all of this is, that because of the copper trouble we had just a few years ago, bell installed a 25-pair terminal in our building, complete with conduit, and terminated 25 lines that ran down Helena (and they did so at a cost of $0 to us), and here they are a few years later telling me that I can save money by abandoning the copper.

Between the thousands it must have cost to do the copper a few years back, and the money they spent to extend an aerial terminal to our pole (just for us I might add), it amuses me to watch them try to recover costs from us at $85 a month...

Bell corporate has their heads up their asses, but the people handling the Niagara deployment and the tech that did my install are completely awesome people. The regional contact kept her word and had it installed on time (and for free), and when the installer came and realized he couldn't complete it, he got a hold of the cabling guys who were working in Port C. and had them come down the next day to wire us up and re-seal the conduit. While he had some free time, he cleaned up all of our mess of copper BIX terminals that were relics from before we switched to VOIP.

Hopefully when it comes time for the install at your place, you get the right people doing it and they make sure it is done properly.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

My cable and telephone are direct buried, even though my home was built in 2006. Garrison Village Phase 1 is also direct buried. Phase 2 has conduit. I'd be pissed off to the point of cancelling the job mid-install if they expect to run an aerial fibre to my home off an aerial terminal when nothing else is aerial.

JC_
Premium Member
Nepean, ON

JC_ to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

We can do the same thing as a buried area, use a direct buried fibre from the house to the pole and than just bring it up the pole to the terminal.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by JC_:

We can do the same thing as a buried area, use a direct buried fibre from the house to the pole and than just bring it up the pole to the terminal.

Good.