uniqs

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

altermatt

Premium Member

Odd error msg. on shutdown

Since the day I got this new Win 8 (now 8.1) Asus desktop late last fall, I've been surprisingly pleased with it, except for one niggling problem. Whenever I restart or shutdown, it throws up an error message saying: "98% complete explorer.exe. Instruction at 0x0cae1610 reference memory at 0x0cae1610. The memory could not be written. Click OK to terminate." I click OK and everything restarts/shuts down perfectly with no obvious ill effects.

But it annoys me when there's any error message I can't figure out, so thought I'd ask here if anyone has any ideas. A Startpage search for that error message, and for just Instruction at 0x0cae1610, brings up nothing. Thanks.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

The second part of the text is the standard message for an MMU violation. There is only one reason for an MMU violation: buggy software.

The "98% complete" sounds like an upgrade progress message.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to altermatt

Premium Member

to altermatt
Do you have any set to scan at startup or shutdown?

altermatt
Premium Member
join:2004-01-22
White Plains, NY

altermatt

Premium Member

said by DownTheShore:

Do you have any set to scan at startup or shutdown?

Possibly Avast Free on startup (not sure right now) but nothing at shutdown, and this has been happening from early in this machine's life, so hard to imagine it's software. Note that the problem SEEMS to be with explorer.exe refusing to let go .