Search similar:

uniqs
corkz
join:2007-02-17
St Catharines, ON

corkz

Smart RG 505n issue Timeout waiting for pad0 after router reboot

Hello all,
Thank you for taking the time to read this and if possible lend a helping hand.
I'm having an issue with the reconnecting in bridge mode after rebooting my router.

I'm running openwrt on a TP-Link WDR3600, I love this router, it's rock solid and has all the options I need. I have configured the Smart RG505n in bridge mode, and initial connection works and is stable. However if I reboot the router, I will not be able to re-establish PPoE connection. Furthermore, my vlan on eth0.2 no longer can see the modem. For all intents and purposes, once I reboot the router, the modem is dead to the world until I power cycle the modem, which almost instantly re-establishes PPoE session, and vlan once again can see bridged mode modem for line stat purposes.

I'm at a loss as to why I cannot re-establish connection after a router reboot. Timeout waiting for pad0 is the only error I have to go by. It also does not matter how long I wait, or if I manually bring down WAN for a few hours and bring it back up.

At first I thought that maybe Radius reconnect delay or something but bringing down WAN for an extended period of time disproved that. I'm running the latest Tek firmware version for the Smart RG.

Any thoughts on the subject would be greatly appreciated as once I make changes to startup scripts for whatever I'm playing with, I like to reboot to make sure it works properly, and every time I'm left having to leave the room to go power cycle the modem

Thanks,
corkz

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Weird, I've seen no such behaviours on my SmartRG (running the same firmware) on my Netgear WNR3500L running Tomato firmware. I've rebooted the router many times for various reasons and it always re-establishes PPPoE immediately.

In fact I have two routers plugged into mine, another one (Same model) is used on a Bell login, and I can reboot that one the same way and it will re-establish PPPoE no problem.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to corkz

to corkz
i have the same router running openwrt and had the same modem about a year and didn't have this issue i believe.

how long have you waited after a modem reboot to see if connectivity could be restored? what modem port are you using for the router and have you tried switching it out?
corkz
St Catharines, ON

corkz

I've waited overnight a few times to allow for reconnect. No go. Modem port 1 to router WAN. I removed the VLAN for modem network from eth0.2(WAN) to see if this was causing some kind of problem... no help. Maybe I'll try building a newer openwrt for it. I build this image a while back, maybe it has a problem.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

try another port on the SmartRG, port 1 is known to have some issues with certain devices.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy

said by jmck:

try another port on the SmartRG, port 1 is known to have some issues with certain devices.

This is a new one to me... anyone know if TSI is pushing for a firmware update to fix the various known bugs (esp the IPV6 tunneling crash bug)
corkz
St Catharines, ON

corkz to jmck

to jmck
Problem solved. Thank you jmck.

corkz

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

jmck to JMJimmy

to JMJimmy
said by JMJimmy:

said by jmck:

This is a new one to me... anyone know if TSI is pushing for a firmware update to fix the various known bugs (esp the IPV6 tunneling crash bug)

it's been known since it was in beta testing with Start on the DSLR forums and they were one of the first if not the first to roll out SmartRGs.

the bug seems to mostly affect Apple devices, but it affects a bunch of others. it seems to have some initialization issues that the other ports don't have.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by jmck:

it's been know since it was in beta testing with Start on the DSLR forums and they were one of the first if not the first to roll out SmartRGs.

the bug seems to mostly affect Apple devices, but it affects a bunch of others. it seems to have some initialization issues that the other ports don't have.

Nice call, I feel a bit stupid for not realizing this myself I'm also pretty curious if the new revision with the GE under port 1 has the same problems.

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by Teddy Boom:

said by jmck:

it's been know since it was in beta testing with Start on the DSLR forums and they were one of the first if not the first to roll out SmartRGs.

Nice call, I feel a bit stupid for not realizing this myself I'm also pretty curious if the new revision with the GE under port 1 has the same problems.

i'm guessing the bug might be related to port 1 being GE on SR550 to begin with, so maybe the new revision doesn't have this issue.