how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

graison

join:2011-04-27
Lloydminster, AB

[AB] Looking for information on Telus systems

Now I am not too sure if I will get anywhere with this, but here is my story. I am a person that has always been, and is very interested in telephone systems (landline systems mainly), and I have always wondered how the system works--i.e fibre lines and how the network is set up to "transcribe" the fibre signals to copper, ISAM systems (such as the Alcatel-Lucent 7330), etc. What I am looking for is someone on the "inside" such as a service technician or something, that works for Telus, to help me learn about these systems and how these networks run and how they work if at all possible. I would like to find information on these systems, but often phone companies are secretive about such information, and I wish to go through legal avenues to satisfy my curiosity. If there is anyone who can provide me with someone who will be willing to "talk Telus networks" with me, and provide me some insight, that would be excellent. I am not sure if I am posting this in the right place, but hopefully some of you will at very least understand this interest of mine.

Thanks,
Graison

bluenote73

join:2009-02-17
V4N6A5
Instead of being spoon fed why don't you help yourself.
You could start here: »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plain_old_···_service

EricG

join:2010-01-12
Procter, BC

1 recommendation

Even though a land line is still POTS compatible, POTS doesn't explain the digital backbone that been around since ~1980. Unless there exists Digital Telephony for Dummies, you are going to need a 3rd year engineering textbook.

kevinds
Premium
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
T1/T3 and OC-1 research?

But yes, a telephone engineer textbook, and then asking the carrier specific details
--
Yes, I am not employed and looking for IT work. Have passport, will travel.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to graison
said by graison:

how the network is set up to "transcribe" the fibre signals to copper

...Overworked, underpaid little elves and fairies toiling behind the "do not open, no user serviceable parts" cover[/joke]

2nd the suggestion of a telephone engineer / telecoms textbook -- I can't name any off the top of my
head. Maybe at the library, university or technical school?

I'd also make a suggestion for the "For Dummies" series, and see if anything helps you out from a
basic perspective.

As for the Alcatel-Lucent, did you try going to the vendor's site and looking for a config / maintain
guide? Another thought is to pursue vendor-specific specialization / education in that particular gear.

As to your overall goal, off the top of my head, no telco in their right mind would share knowledge about
"how" their network and gear is set up; to get an in, you have to either work for them or know someone on
the inside.

The basic theory -- analog/digital conversion, POTS, T1/T3, OC3, etc. -- is pretty much available to anyone, you just
have to know a) the right questions to ask, and b) where to look.

My 00000010bits

Regards