Premium Member
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA
Netgear CM500V
Asus RT-AC68

mike34

Premium Member

[IPv6] RT-N66U Firmware 5517 kills V6

Flashed the Asus RT-N66U with the latest firmware (5517) and lost IPV6 addressing. Rebooted the 6141 and the router, no change. Flashed the router back to old firmware 4561 and all is well.

Anybody here confirm this or suggest where to look in the router's web interface?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA

NormanS

MVM

Strange. I have the 5517 firmware on an RT-AC66U, and IPv6 is working. But I am bouncing between a Hurricane Electric 6in4 tunnel, and my ISP's 6rd tunnel, because my ISP does not have DHCPv6.

Targus88
@12.23.58.x

Targus88 to mike34

Anon

to mike34
My RT-N66U has never played well with my 6141 when it comes to IPV6. I tried stock FW as well as Merlin and never had results. So I stick with V4 for now because the router is excellent in every other capacity.

The only downside is I think you need V6 to get the doubled speeds. Or maybe I'm remembering that incorrectly.

Devious
Premium Member
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA

Devious to mike34

Premium Member

to mike34
Have RT-N66U and no problems with IPv6/latest firmware be it stock, Rmerlins or Tomatousb.

Also have SB6141 modem.

I always clear nvram and redo my config after an upgrade rather than uploading a saved config.
luckmann
join:2004-06-27
Albuquerque, NM

luckmann to mike34

to mike34
I am running the stock 5517 firmware in front of a TG862 Gateway in bridge mode and have had no problem with IPv6, in fact I have had the same delegation since the modem was changed out about 1.5 months ago.

owlyn
MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA

1 recommendation

owlyn to mike34

MVM

to mike34
Try Merlin's firmware.

mike34
Premium Member
Central City, PA
Netgear CM500V
Asus RT-AC68

1 edit

1 recommendation

mike34

Premium Member

Absolutely no need for Merlin. Used it when he had the only V6 firewall but Asus has implemented one in the latest stock releases.

No use for 5517 as far as I can tell, 4567 does everything I need.

Fact is without V6 I got the exact same speed test results, 119/11, as I got with it.

I was simply curious if anyone had to tweak anything in the stock build to get V6. Not much to tweak and it looks like I got my answer.

Devious
Premium Member
join:2002-08-22
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

Devious

Premium Member

said by mike34:

No use for 5517 as far as I can tell, 4567 does everything I need.

Jut so you know....these issues as well as others were fixed in 5517.

1. Fixed remote command execution vulnerability
2. Fixed cross site scripting vulnerability
3. Fixed parameters buffer overflow vulnerability
4. Fixed XSS(Cross Site Scripting) vulnerability
5. Fixed CSRF(Cross Site Request Forgery) vulnerability

mike34
Premium Member
Central City, PA
Netgear CM500V
Asus RT-AC68

1 recommendation

mike34

Premium Member

Thanks, saw that at Asus. Irritated me when it broke my V6 though. I don't think I ever got into anything in the V6 parameters, it just happened when Comcast enabled it. Then, to me anyway, Asus broke it.

Using the windows operating system as well as peripherals who's capabilities come and go makes it feel like I pay a lot of money to be a beta tester and I'm simply too damn old for that.
DZS
join:2007-09-09
York, PA

1 recommendation

DZS

No issues here on my RT-AC66R with 5517.

mb6
join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ

1 recommendation

mb6 to mike34

to mike34
FWIW I've been running 5517 on my RT-N66U here which is attached to my 6141 for several months and it works perfectly.

mike34
Premium Member
Central City, PA

1 recommendation

mike34

Premium Member

Anybody's interested I opened a service case with Asus. Zero confidence but I'm hoping they surprise (the hell out of) me.

Coelispex
join:2013-06-03
Howell, MI

1 recommendation

Coelispex

Sometimes when I lose IPv6, I would just disable it. Wait a few minutes. Turn on IPv6 again and I would get it back. Usually a full reboot of the router doesn't fix it for me.

mike34
Premium Member
Central City, PA
Netgear CM500V
Asus RT-AC68

2 edits

1 recommendation

mike34

Premium Member

The people around here who bash Comcast's customer service should call Asus.

Asus recommends, after a long and tedious discussion, that if the new firmware causes problems, don't use it, go back to the old firmware.

That's it. Problem solved.

'Doctor, doctor, every time I raise my arm it hurts.'

Doctor: 'don't raise your arm.'

catchingup
@206.51.28.x

catchingup

Anon

said by mike34:

Asus recommends, after a long and tedious discussion, that if the new firmware causes problems, don't use it, go back to the old firmware.

That's it. Problem solved.

'Doctor, doctor, every time I raise my arm it hurts.'

Doctor: 'don't raise your arm.'

That is a workaround. It doesn't solve the fact that they broke something. With there being a good chance of future firmware releases having security fixes it is critical they fix the bug otherwise people will be stuck on older firmware releases with security issues.

The analogy doesn't even make sense.