uniqs

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

1 edit

Hall

MVM

[WIN8] Win8 download/retail copies (was: Download copy of Win7)

Does anyone offer/sell Windows 7 that allows you to download it ? It appears this is no longer the case and you can only do this with Windows 8 now (and it only goes through Microsoft's systems).

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

Re: [WIN7] Download copy of Win7

»forums.mydigitallife.inf ··· -amp-X64

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

I saw that was from 2010 so I was skeptical if the links were still valid. They are, at least for the 'setup' and 'box1' links. I still need to buy the product code/key though.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
Not to my knowledge. But you can buy Win7 or Win8.1 from Amazon for your particular application as detailed in the other forum area.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Further reading indicates Microsoft is pretty firm about cutting off retail sales of Windows 7. Yes, that won't stop Newegg, Amazon, and resellers who go through them and elsewhere, but Best Buy, Walmart, etc aren't going to purchase copies from non-authorized distributors (even if the copies are 100% legit) and once they sell out of the copies in their stock (BB, WM, etc), they're done.
Hall

Hall

MVM

It may be easier to use Windows 8.x and it shouldn't be a problem.

I saw a comment/review at Newegg (»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 32416786) and it indicates this isn't a bootable/installable copy:

"Requires Windows 7 to Download

This download isn't an installable copy of Windows 8. It's an executable that can only be run on Windows 7, runs a downloader, and can eventually produce a bootable image."

Is that accurate ?

What about this one from Best Buy ? Will there be a DVD or DVDs in the box or what ?

salzan
Experienced Optimist
Premium Member
join:2004-01-08
WA State

salzan to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall

Re: [WIN8] Win8 download/retail copies (was: Download copy of Win7)

I recently purchased a copy of Win7 pro (downloaded) from these people: sofway.com. The price was $75. Everything went well including activation.

The download came from digital river.

Hall
MVM
Germantown, OH

Hall

MVM

Purchased 8.1 from Best Buy and got those old-fashioned things called discs !