spc
Search similar:

uniqs

NoMergerPlox
@98.250.128.x

NoMergerPlox

Anon

Still a bad idea

It is so far, still a bad idea. For a multitude of reasons. If you want to know what the best solution to a possible merger would be then here is my opinion based on facts about both companies:

1. Eliminate Sprint as a brand except for the tier 1 fiber network and backhaul network
2. Switch over to GSM entirely and use the spectrum currently deployed for Wi-Max, CDMA, etc for coverage on existing towers+new buildouts (CDMA is a crap technology and is no longer supported by android as well). T-Mobile has a larger network in terms of what it actually owns. It would be cheaper in the long run.
3. Utilize sprints old microwave towers as new cell sites (they have a bunch sitting around in rural areas that are EMPTY of any equipment after their big fiber buildout) as well as rent out capacity on them for competition
4. Deploy LTE in the majority of urban and highway footprint of the new company
5. Deploy HSPA-DC in areas where LTE is not viable or at minimum HSPA+
6. Keep John Legere as CEO and the ENTIRE T-Mobile U.S Board/management team and get rid of the sprint one. They've botched too many things. They have to go.
7. Deploy GSM/HSPA+/LTE on 800mhz in rural/suburban areas increasing footprint and coverage area.
8. Utilize Sprint's own fiber network for backhaul for new towers/tower upgrades
9. Keep T-Mobile plans in addition to Framily and scrap the rest of sprints old plans. Do not allow the renewal of contracts.
10. Make deal with Ma T-Mobile in Germany to keep international roaming and still be a part of the T-Mobile family.
11. Keep unlimited data (with a bigger footprint and upgraded capacity/service they'll make bank on subscribers defecting from AT&T and Verizon as well as business customers)
12. Keep T-Mobile policy of overbuilding towers (vs Sprint's underbuilding and congestion)
13. Get rid of the majority of MVNO's or keep them on the legacy CDMA network until it's turned off. Combine them into 1-2 MVNO's. (Probably BOOST and a T-Mobile pre-pay) to cut back on network congestion.
14. No unlimited data for MVNO subs unless the MVNO wants to pay network access fees to help offset the cost of network maintenance and upgrades.
15. Expand coverage footprint as much as possible and as quickly as possible.

Those are the main things I can think of. Will they happen? Probably not for most of them. Plus the money required to do so would be insane. With all the debt the new company will have I doubt a merger would be beneficial to either company.

OldCableGuy3
@207.191.193.x

OldCableGuy3

Anon

Wow you must work on the T-Mobile board of directors or something.

GSM is dead end, I love seeing all the hate on 1x Advanced from people who are clueless. 1x is much more efficient for voice than GSM ever could dream of.

In any merger it's almost a given that GSM will be sunset, Softbank is a CDMA carrier in Japan, in fact there is no GSM at all in Japan, all CDMA based as it is much more advanced technology.

JakCrow
join:2001-12-06
Palo Alto, CA

1 recommendation

JakCrow

Except the rest of the world uses GSM. It's CDMA that's in the minority. And GSM phones are, for the most part, universal and not locked down to a single provider. So much for "dead end".
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

The rest of the world may use it, but it doesn't make it any better. That's like saying "the rest of the world uses 50Hz electricity." The carrier lock is crap, to be sure, but it doesn't make the underlying tech any "better."

In America, CDMA coverage is so much better that it's not even funny.

There's also this to consider:
»www.engineersgarage.com/ ··· and-cdma

6. Radiation Exposure

GSM phones emit continuous wave pulses, so there is a large need to reduce the exposures to electromagnetic fields focused on cell phones with “continuous wave pulses”. On the other hand CDMA cell phones do not produce these pulses. GSM phones emit about 28 times more radiation on average as compared to CDMA phones. Moreover, GSM phones are more biologically reactive as compared to CDMA.

Don't believe that?

See this:

»www.docyue.com/allpdf/20 ··· cdma.pdf

4. RESULTS AND DISCUSSION
The result is shown in Table 4.1 and Figure 4.2. It shows that GSM operated phone has highest effect on brain activity as compared to a CDMA operated mobile phone.

clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned)

I think what most people actually mean is the GSM-based core and the UMTS 3G standards running on it (HSPA/HSPA+, etc.), not switching backwards to actual 2G/EDGE/GSM.

That being said, it's all well and good to say that GSM is more dangerous from a health standpoint, but again standard GSM is antiquated technology that almost no one really uses in practice anymore. It's still running, without a doubt, as a fallback technology (Although I might see "E" on my iPhone once a week or less often, usually when I'm deep inside a building with my phone in my pocket) but very few people in the first world are still on GSM as their primary network.

Have any more recent studies of radiation (and remember, this is non-ionizing, not "radiation" as in nuclear) been done to include the Wideband CDMA (UMTS) standards, including HSPA or HSPA+, or even LTE? I would venture to bet that the WCDMA standard would have an even lower effect, as there are again, no pulses and the effect is spread out over a 5MHz channel, rather than focused into a 1.25MHz channel. Sounding the scare alarm over GSM is disingenuous, as unless you're in a 3rd world country somewhere, your phone isn't beaming out GSM pulses through your brain every time you talk on the phone.

While my theory on why WCDMA (UMTS) would be even "better" for you than standard CDMA 1X for voice calling may be incorrect, I would also bet that LTE moves back towards the "bad" end of the spectrum, as I can often audibly hear the LTE signal being picked up by cheap unshielded speakers just like you used to hear with regular, old GSM. So, since LTE is the 4th Generation GSM standard, you may be right about it being more "reactive", but I don't know that anyone has tested the new standards they way the old ones were thoroughly researched.
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to NoMergerPlox

to NoMergerPlox
Those MVNOs is where Sprint is making their money- FreedomPOP, Ting, and all of the others- including TracFone's many of its companies and brands pay a great deal per month to Sprint. Tell them you're going to cut their contract out and see what would happen to that company. A LOT of money will be gone and so will the carrier.

TracFone would move those customers to VZW and AT&T with no problems.
dudeman456
join:2005-04-29
New York, NY

dudeman456 to NoMergerPlox

to NoMergerPlox
When did Android stop supporting CDMA?
»www.informationweek.com/ ··· 1102803?

Most new cellular companies use CDMA, China is a big user.

Those MVNO provide more money to Sprint, than Post-Paid customers.