Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

[CallCentric] Canada Wide Calling

2 issues:

Based on my recommendation --- I have a number of Canadian Clients that are using CallCentric for their business lines and each one has reported to me that there are some Canadian PSTN phone number they cannot reach ... and I am wondering why?

My clients also report that when calling some 8xx numbers they are forced to use the *67 prefix [my suggestion] and that is a pain in the Ass ..... and I am wondering why?

I believed that CallCentric had Canada Wide Calling capabilities .... so now I am wondering what Canada Wide Calling capabilities mean?

I do not want to move them to another provider but I may have too.

CanadaWide
@98.113.213.x

CanadaWide

Anon

Did you ask CC support about those [two] different issues, one issue at a time?

- there are many reasons of why some regular numbers might not be reachable - a simple support ticket could provide you a solution or answer within a short time;

- there are many specific reasons of why some 8xx numbers may become unreachable - each case requires manual investigation to be properly answered because TF numbers are configured, governed and providing different options (to their respective owners) - the rules and logic of TF DIDs is not the same as for normal, geographical numbers.
BinaryTB
join:2008-08-11
Rockville, MD

BinaryTB to mozerd

to mozerd
This was a few years ago so I don't know how current services compare, but for Canadian calls, I used Les.net exclusively. They had working Caller ID for Canada then, plus everything worked perfectly whenever I called numerous places in Canada. Them being a Canadian provider probably helped in that regard.

Again, this was a few years ago, so other providers might have caught up then, but I'd still assume that Canada is probably Les.net's #1 priority, since they're based in Winnipeg.

I hope Callcentric resolves your problems, please keep us updated on what happens.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
said by mozerd:

My clients also report that when calling some 8xx numbers they are forced to use the *67 prefix [my suggestion] and that is a pain in the Ass ..... and I am wondering why?

This issue is not limited to CC.

It's been reported here in the past with various providers.

Sometimes the problem is that the owner of the 8xx number is blocking calls from certain provinces.
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
said by mozerd:

there are some Canadian PSTN phone number they cannot reach ... and I am wondering why?

I am wondering why too, but the solution is to gather examples and then file a support ticket with CC so they can look into it.

Could relate to specific carriers or CLEC's on the receiving end, new area code routing, or even just Nunavut.
said by mozerd:

I do not want to move them to another provider but I may have to.

In which case the same or similar problems could occur, another reason that investigation should precede migration.
fparker
join:2008-04-28
Scarborough, ON

1 edit

fparker to mozerd

to mozerd
If you are able to have more than 1 sip provider on their equipment, the solution I did is to put this in the Obi digitmap: less than sign**1greater than sign18(00|88|77|66|55)xxxxxxx where **1 refers to sip1 provider (Voip.ms) which forces all toll free calls to be dialled through voip.ms Canadian toll free service. As well I 'forced' 311 to go out through their servers instead of the US service I usually use for outgoing calls.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
Ditto. Have you asked Callcentric with examples. Their support is usually good.
At least in the US they pride themselves on not blocking any numbers like say Magic Jack does, so doubt it is different in Canada. So just aak them.
Mango
Use DMZ and you get a kick in the dick.
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

Mango to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
We have no way of knowing the answer to your question. Callcentric's support is arguably the best in the business. They are sure to be able to help you. Make sure to tell them how they can reproduce the problem.

sammoats
Premium Member
join:2014-02-16
Winchester, VA

sammoats to mozerd

Premium Member

to mozerd
Hi I'm from a call termination company other than CC and I have to say the boards advice about contacting CC's support is a good one they may not even know that there is a problem with a particular number. If you let them know they may be able to adjust routing and fix your problem quickly.

Thanks!
Sam

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

Thanks for all the feedback.
I have asked the clients to open tickets with CallCentric on the subject of unreachable CDN PSTN numbers. Apparently the numbers are in North Bay Ontario. BTW, I did call the numbers using my voip.ms line without issue.

This issue of having to dial *67 for 8XX numbers definitely is bothersome and IMO should not be needed using a "class" provider like CallCentric.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by mozerd:

I have asked the clients to open tickets with CallCentric on the subject of unreachable CDN PSTN numbers. Apparently the numbers are in North Bay Ontario.

So a specific focused problem that should be straightforward to correct. Please let us know the followup.
said by mozerd:

This issue of having to dial *67 for 8XX numbers definitely is bothersome and IMO should not be needed using a "class" provider like CallCentric.

As I said, this issue has come up many times with many providers both Canadian and US.

For example here is a thread from a few years ago:
»VOIP.MS - Toll free Canada not working for me

Others:
»www.phonepower.com/forum ··· m-canada
»www.ooma.com/forums/view ··· &t=13098

I agree, it would be optimal for this not to be an issue with any provider. If you gather specific examples of problematic TF numbers then you can ask that it be looked at.

Gstaad
@178.255.46.x

Gstaad to mozerd

Anon

to mozerd
The general reason is that the owner of the telephone number in one country does not expect or want to do business with people in another country, so it does not allow calls from other countries to connect and waste its money paying for the incoming calls and waste its time dealing with the calls.

With callcentric's servers being in the US, the Canadian companies may not want to hear from their subscribers. The best thing to do is to switch to voip.ms or some other Canadian vsp, because, according to callcentric itself, the problem has existed forever and is not likely to be fixed for a long time.

Or do what somebody suggested and get ATAs that have gateways and can switch easily from Callcentric to Voip.Ms when the need occurs.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by Gstaad :

The general reason is that the owner of the telephone number in one country does not expect or want to do business with people in another country, so it does not allow calls from other countries to connect and waste its money paying for the incoming calls and waste its time dealing with the calls.

Past experience has suggested that the issue sometimes involves calls from another province, rather than another country.

As well, presumably Canadian customers are displaying a Canadian DID on their outbound calls.
said by Gstaad :

The best thing to do is to switch to voip.ms or some other Canadian vsp....

As has been noted, this issue has also affected Voip.MS and other providers.

I recall several threads in several forums on this point over the years.

So your evaluation is incomplete.

Here for example a Canadian Voip.MS customer reports difficulty connecting to Telehealth Ontario (circa 2010).
»www.digitalhome.ca/forum ··· t=130757
amd64now
join:2007-04-01
canada

amd64now to mozerd

to mozerd
said by mozerd:

Apparently the numbers are in North Bay Ontario. BTW, I did call the numbers using my voip.ms line without issue.

I just called a NorthBay number without issue from my CallCentric. What exchange in the 705 area code?

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by amd64now:

I just called a NorthBay number without issue from my CallCentric. What exchange in the 705 area code?

I do not know, but perhaps I will find out once they have lodged their support queries.