spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

brianv71

join:2014-05-02
Fordland, MO

Did I make a mistake by going with Exede?

Well, I've had Exede for a little over a month now, and have been pretty satisfied with the speed and reliability....until this past week.

I've started getting frequent dis-connects, and my speed is all over the map.

Yesterday, at 12 noon, I was disconnected.
After doing power-cycles on the modem, router and PC for more than 8 hours, I finally called C.S.
Hold time was only about 2 mins, and the rep was friendly (and American, lol).

She tried to reboot my modem a couple of times with no success, so she setup a service call. She thinks the modem needs to be replaced.

Unfortunately, the earliest available appointment isn't until Wednesday...4 days after loss of service.
So, in the meantime, I'll have to tether my phone to my PC for internet...using up my small data allowance in the process!

Even though there will be no charge for the service call (less than 90 days into contract), I have to say, I'm not very happy right now.

What happens if the "new" modem decides to go out after my 90-day "grace period"?
If Exede thinks that I'm going to pay $149 to replace a their modem that I'm leasing, they're crazy.

I hope this is a rare occurence, and not a preview of things to come.

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
kudos:1

Do note that even Mercedes had a recent recall; stuff happens, but Modem/TRIA failures seem to be on rare side these days.

You might, with power off, check cable ends for being tight.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA
reply to brianv71

If I remember you mentioned you had choices of wireless or satellite in your area from a previous thread. In that case, you probably made the best decision. HughesNet is often times worse than Exede and Exede should out perform Verizon 3G when it works. But failures do happen from time to time.

brianv71

Fordland, MO
reply to DrStrangLov

Thanks. Already did all that.
Hopefully this is just bad luck and won't be an ongoing issue.

james1979
Premium
join:2012-10-09
Quinault, WA
reply to brianv71

said by brianv71:

What happens if the "new" modem decides to go out after my 90-day "grace period"?
If Exede thinks that I'm going to pay $149 to replace a their modem that I'm leasing, they're crazy.

Of course I am sorry about your problems, but they have led me to a question.

What is your source of info about a "90 day grace period" and a $149 fee to replace a modem? I paid $189 for a lifetime equipment lease fee (no longer offered) which I had assumed covered replacing broken equipment. Apparently, I need to read through my contract with Exede more carefully. (?)

brianv71

Fordland, MO

I dont know anything about the lifetime lease, but apparently with the monthly lease, after 90 days the customer has to pay for service calls and/or equipment replacement. It doesnt sound right to me considering i'm paying a monthly lease for their equipment. If i would have noticed that clause in the fineprint, i probably wouldnt have had the service installed.
The information came from the woman I talked to at Exede C.S.

Update: the tech that installed my system is coming out first thing tomorrow to fix it. He thinks the dish is out of alignment, not a bad modem, but we won't know until he gets here to diagnose it.

brianv71

Fordland, MO
reply to brianv71

UPDATE:
Tech came out this morning. TRIA was full of moisture, so he replaced it and SNR went up to 10.2. He went ahead and re-tuned the dish anyway (still at 10.2 SNR) while he was here. Modem connected immediately.
Here's latest speed test:

Surprising to me that the weather seal on the TRIA failed after only about 40 days. We've had a quite abit of rain the past 2 weeks, but not anything too abnormal.
Hopefully this doesn't happen again.

james1979
Premium
Quinault, WA

1 edit
reply to brianv71

said by brianv71:

I dont know anything about the lifetime lease, but apparently with the monthly lease, after 90 days the customer has to pay for service calls and/or equipment replacement.

Thanks for that info. The lifetime equipment lease option was discontinued around Sept. 2012. I can understand having to pay for a service call, and I am still looking for that contract which I printed out.

EDIT: Since I always print out contracts but have not invested in a filing cabinet, it's rarely worth the effort to find my contracts. However, Exede's current contract Exede's current residential contract is in conflict with what you were told on the telephone about a $149 fee to replace a modem:

"4. Repair/Replacement
During your Minimum Service Term, ViaSat will repair or replace
defective Equipment returned to ViaSat's designated address. For
the first 90 days after activation of your Internet Service, coverage
includes any applicable labor charges for service calls
After the first 90 days, a $14.95 shipping charge applies to Equipment
replaced by mail, and a $95.00 service charge applies for Equipment
replaced with an in - home service call"

$95 if a service call is required, $15 if the broken equipment doesn't require a service call. That's pretty reasonable and about what I expected.

DrStrangLov

said by james1979:

"4. Repair/Replacement.....That's pretty reasonable and about what I expected.

The "ViaSat Collective" is betting on a predictable outcome, and most likely, making a tidy profit to boot.

In earlier Wildblue days, the consumer owned the equipment, now most all consumers have to "lease" it.

Earlier SB-1 equipment ironed out defect issues; with SB-2 equipment, defective equipment should be a minor issue.

Kept in mind that contract says "defective Equipment," which does not cover "acts of God."

brianv71

Fordland, MO
reply to james1979

said by james1979:

Since I always print out contracts but have not invested in a filing cabinet, it's rarely worth the effort to find my contracts. However, Exede's current contract Exede's current residential contract is in conflict with what you were told on the telephone about a $149 fee to replace a modem:

I was just relaying what she told me.
Seems rediculous(sp?) either way.....unless I damage there equipment (or a tree/limbs falls on it), I don't think the customer should have to pay to replace faulty equipment that is owned by Exede.
$14.95 shipping is reasonable; if they would allow me to do the replacement.
Anyway, I'm glad it's fixed, and seems to be working great.
I hope this was just a minor hiccup, and not a normal occurrence.

EDIT: I guess I should have read that section of the contract more carefully. Since I was leasing and not buying the equipment, I just skimmed that portion.

james1979
Premium
Quinault, WA

said by brianv71:

I was just relaying what she told me.

Yes, thank you for reporting that. That's why I asked. As can be read, what you were told is in contradiction to the Exede's v4.3 contract. Since that contract was last updated on March 29, 2014, it applies to you during your "Minimum Service Term" which is 24 months. (Which is the same "Minimum Service Term" as mine.)

After just glancing through Exede's current contract, I didn't notice what Exede's LegalZoom lawyers composed (if anything) on how broken equipment issues are legally handled after the "Minimum Service Term".

I do think that you were just unlucky with your equipment failing so quickly, but, in my experiences, that is typical of "electronics" in general. If something is defective, the flaw tends to show up quickly. (I am so much wanting to explain how the "Mean Time Between Failure" statistic is misused by marketers, but Google can do that for me these days. Your TRIA may have had a MTBF of 30 years, but that doesn't mean that the average lifespan of an Exede TRIA is 30 years...)

brianv71

Fordland, MO
reply to brianv71

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Well, it's been a little over a week since the TRIA was replaced. We've had some pretty heavy rain since then, and other than a couple of disconnects during the storms, all seems to be working well.

adrenatek01

@204.17.245.x

Is there not a cellular option, perhaps with a Sprint or T-Mobile reseller that offers unlimited or even Millenicom? Perhaps a local ILEC or 5ghz ISM-band provider that you can tap into?

Imho satellite internet should be an ABSOLUTE last resort until these lousy companies that provide it offer competitive pricing.

Just my .02 since it sounds like you are still in a grace period.

DrStrangLov

said by adrenatek01 :

cellular option........Imho satellite internet should be an ABSOLUTE last resort

Satellite providers have a fixed monthly payment; many cellular plans will take a big bite out of your disposable income when monthly limit is exceeded.

Locally, one cellular company has "unlimited," with first 2 Gigs un-throttled, then you are throttled until reset date.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by DrStrangLov:

said by adrenatek01 :

cellular option........Imho satellite internet should be an ABSOLUTE last resort

Satellite providers have a fixed monthly payment; many cellular plans will take a big bite out of your disposable income when monthly limit is exceeded.

Locally, one cellular company has "unlimited," with first 2 Gigs un-throttled, then you are throttled until reset date.

Millenicom gets you 20gb 89.99 I think runs on Verizon i suppose you have few gigs cap on your sat.

DrStrangLov

said by patt2k:

Millenicom gets you 20gb 89.99 I think runs on Verizon....

Verizon's "4G LTE bandwidth....Covers over 97% of Americans," which means those 3% living in rural areas are not in their coverage area...which mainly covers city folks, and many of their motoring pathways.

»www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/con···lte.html

Exede cost less for 10 Gigs, plus unlimited Late Night Free Zone on their basic package.