Search similar:

uniqs
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

1 recommendation

me1212

Neogaf found out how to make watch dogs look like it did in at E3 2012.

The effects they used are still in the game, but ubisoft turned them off. Along with that they somehow made it run worse on pcs. Yep with this mod you get the visuals from E3 and it reduces stuttering, some people have said it even boosts their fps. Ubisoft basically castrated the pc version so the potatoes wouldn't look so bad in comparison.

»www.neogaf.com/forum/sho ··· t=838538

I don't think I'll ever buy an ubisoft game again, nor will I ever again tell off someone for pirating an ubisoft game.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

Mike

Mod

I like how next generation consoles are already dwarfed and dragging down PC games.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

2 recommendations

Adalicia

The only thing surprising about any of this is that people are surprised.

Ubisoft is a shit company and every one knew from the moment the specs were announced that the next gen consoles weren't going to push any new boundaries and simply would be playing catch up.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
AC4 and Splinter Cell Blacklist both run flawless for me.

Far Cry 3 on the other hand, is iffy at times. I haven't played Watch Dogs, don't plan to either, but the word out there from almost every one is that it runs like crap.

Ubisoft's track record with well optimized games seems to be about 50% of the time.
Ghastlyone

Ghastlyone to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

I like how next generation consoles are already dwarfed and dragging down PC games.

What's really amazing, is how Microsoft has said they plan on Xbox One lasting 10 years.

LOL

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

said by Ghastlyone:

What's really amazing, is how Microsoft has said they plan on Xbox One lasting 10 years.

LOL

...seriously?
Adalicia

4 recommendations

Adalicia to me1212

to me1212
me1212
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

1 recommendation

me1212 to Adalicia

to Adalicia
Yep. Theres not a doubt in my mind they can do it ether. No matter how obviously underpowered the xbone is say even 8 or 9 years down the road, the console players believe that their hardware gets stronger over time due to "optimizations" and the updates sony and ms push out. Heck I will be surprised if in 7 or 8 years they aren't running at 800x600 at best and lower than low settings with 40 degree fov at best, maybe a meter of render distance and 20 fps but because the graphics are shiny they will claim its just as good as build an 1680ti or 1090x(my assumed code names for nvidia and amd's highest end gpus at the time) and whatever amd and intel are rockin by then. Heck we'll probably be hearing 20 fps how 20 fps is so cinematic and that even 30 is too fluid and makes them sick when they see it. Sadly the fanboys will buy anything ms or sony tells them so we will likely have progress held back by at least a decade.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

1 recommendation

Ghastlyone to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
said by Adalicia:

said by Ghastlyone:

LOL

...seriously?

Yeah, I remember reading it on IGN. Microsoft is really banking on that pipe dream they call "Cloud".

Either that, or they're going to simply have their Xbox Gold members just download more RAM to improvement performance.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to me1212

to me1212
said by me1212:

Yep. Theres not a doubt in my mind they can do it ether. No matter how obviously underpowered the xbone is say even 8 or 9 years down the road, the console players believe that their hardware gets stronger over time due to "optimizations" and the updates sony and ms push out.

There is something to be said for developers working on and figuring out how to squeeze every single point of processing power out of a system, and the best games on a console come out at the end of their cycles, usually bringing the machines to their absolutely max capacity.

The Last of Us is a prime example. If someone said, "Hey, can you see a game that looks like this running smoothly (relatively speaking) on a PS3?" I would have said, "Did you drink bleach recently?" When comparing those early launch titles to end of life titles, there usually is a big difference. That said, and as a the upcoming re-release shows, what would Last of Us have been like if it wasn't being shoe-horned into running on hardware that was coming around on a decade in age? Well, a hell of a lot better, in a high resolution, and a higher frame rate. But the Last of Us was a technical marvel due to the fact they actually got that game to run acceptably well on the PS3 (and the fact that it was just a really good game helps).

That said however, I don't think we'll see the consoles get away with it this go around.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

Yes, but its not near as much as people would have you believe. I especially think this generation will have the least we've seen. Its just x86_64 architecture cpus. If a coder doesn't already optimized for that they shouldn't have their job. Yeah they may be able to get 10% more or so at best but I don't see anything meaningful from this one.
me1212

me1212 to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
Most of the world doesn't have near the internet required for the butt.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to me1212

to me1212
said by me1212:

Yes, but its not near as much as people would have you believe. I especially think this generation will have the least we've seen. Its just x86_64 architecture cpus. If a coder doesn't already optimized for that they shouldn't have their job. Yeah they may be able to get 10% more or so at best but I don't see anything meaningful from this one.

I don't disagree, I'm just saying in previous cycles, it was a fair statement. They were able to get more out of a system the longer it was out and the more they were able to bang out the nuances of the, usually, odd architecture. As everything is relatively standardized between the systems and current PC iterations, it won't be as likely. But to say that companies that developed solely for the PS3 didn't learn how to squeeze every cycle out of that bizarre Frankenstein mess that was their cell system is wrong. I won't pretend to know the details behind how any of that stuff works, I'm not a programmer or engineer.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

Its more they learned how to squeeze every bit of power out of the cycle they could. I'm not saying they didn't do that, just that optimization is not what console fanboys would have you believe. I'm about to get my bachelors degree in computer science, might go on to a masters not sure, so I can pretty much surmise how they would have had to do that, and its not quite the way people on the internet say it is.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

Yea combine forums!

Exodus
Your Daddy
Premium Member
join:2001-11-26
Earth

2 recommendations

Exodus

Premium Member

Is it master-racey up in here or what?
me1212
Lees Summit, MO
·Google Fiber

me1212

When its true its called for.

Also heres a video showing some of the improvements

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 55NvmHW8

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
said by Adalicia:

said by me1212:

Yep. Theres not a doubt in my mind they can do it ether. No matter how obviously underpowered the xbone is say even 8 or 9 years down the road, the console players believe that their hardware gets stronger over time due to "optimizations" and the updates sony and ms push out.

There is something to be said for developers working on and figuring out how to squeeze every single point of processing power out of a system, and the best games on a console come out at the end of their cycles, usually bringing the machines to their absolutely max capacity.

The Last of Us is a prime example. If someone said, "Hey, can you see a game that looks like this running smoothly (relatively speaking) on a PS3?" I would have said, "Did you drink bleach recently?" When comparing those early launch titles to end of life titles, there usually is a big difference. That said, and as a the upcoming re-release shows, what would Last of Us have been like if it wasn't being shoe-horned into running on hardware that was coming around on a decade in age? Well, a hell of a lot better, in a high resolution, and a higher frame rate. But the Last of Us was a technical marvel due to the fact they actually got that game to run acceptably well on the PS3 (and the fact that it was just a really good game helps).

That said however, I don't think we'll see the consoles get away with it this go around.

If I got the chance to actually let a console peasant play something like Crysis 3, Metro Last Light, Battlefield 4, etc. maxed out, Ultra settings on my gaming PC at 1440p, 60fps....they would realize right away that The Last of Us looks and runs like straight up dog shit.

I about died laughing when I first saw it in person.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

But they don't. And there is more to a game than just visual fidelity. Obviously personal taste weighs in, but while the Last of Us isn't on the same playing field, let alone the same city, as a good PC it was still (in my opinion) a very good game with a fantastic narrative. One of the best games I've played in recent years was Transistor, a beautiful game but not a technologically impressive game. I love Last Light for the atmosphere and world building, the other two you mentioned, while visually impressive, I don't consider to be good games. Opinion, of course, once again. You might have laughed at the visual quality of The Last of Us, but once again that doesn't make it a bad game. I would enjoy the Last of Us if the narrative was placed into the art style and engine that was used for something like Lone Survivor.

I'm not defending the sub par standards consoles enforce, but I'm not going to call a good game bad just because it is limited by the system it was released on. Having a higher resolution, better textures, and a more fluid frame rate would not have change the narrative, world building, mechanics, or pacing of the game. It would have just looked better.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

I don't think he said the game was bad, just that the ps3 mad it look and run bad. Personally if a game runs bad I do feel it makes the game worse(at least at the time I play it) than if it runs good.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to me1212

to me1212
I don't understand Ubisoft's rationale for nerfing graphics on the PC version.

Why not allow us to properly set the settings to get the performance we want with our specific hardware?

They didn't want to showcase the disparity between PC and the console version, or perhaps thought nobody could run the game at playable framerates with all the goodies enabled?

Ubisoft isn't a terrible company but corporatism has killed their creative light, the same way it happened to Bioware. If that statement were not true, then modders who often practice this hobby out of passion wouldn't constantly be surpassing those studios' competency and skills.
me1212
Lees Summit, MO

me1212

I think its they didn't want console player butthurt emails. Cause this actually makes the game run BETTER if you believe what linus' facebook page says. Less steering, less vram usage(yes, you read that right) and the fps is about the same.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to TigerLord

Premium Member

to TigerLord
Showcasing the big divide between PC and the brand new console generation this early is bad for the long-term success of consoles. It will drive more gamers onto PCs and necessitate a hardware refresh on consoles earlier than otherwise, which in turn costs Ubisoft money sooner as they learn a new dev kit.

Or they're just assholes.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
said by Adalicia:

But they don't. And there is more to a game than just visual fidelity. Obviously personal taste weighs in, but while the Last of Us isn't on the same playing field, let alone the same city, as a good PC it was still (in my opinion) a very good game with a fantastic narrative. One of the best games I've played in recent years was Transistor, a beautiful game but not a technologically impressive game. I love Last Light for the atmosphere and world building, the other two you mentioned, while visually impressive, I don't consider to be good games. Opinion, of course, once again. You might have laughed at the visual quality of The Last of Us, but once again that doesn't make it a bad game. I would enjoy the Last of Us if the narrative was placed into the art style and engine that was used for something like Lone Survivor.

I'm not defending the sub par standards consoles enforce, but I'm not going to call a good game bad just because it is limited by the system it was released on. Having a higher resolution, better textures, and a more fluid frame rate would not have change the narrative, world building, mechanics, or pacing of the game. It would have just looked better.

Most console gamers' bring up the Last of Us when talking strictly about graphics. They literally treat that game like it's the best thing they've ever seen.

If we're talking graphics and frame rates, that game is mediocre at best. That's why I mentioned them playing on a real gaming PC with those other titles.

We'll save the completely linear monotonous game play, zero exploration, and predictable story line for another discussion

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

said by Ghastlyone:

We'll save the completely linear game play, zero exploration, and predictable story line for another discussion

I like linear storylines every so often... e.g. Crysis 3 or Tomb Raider. After thousands of League/BF4 matches, it's nice to turn your brain off and enjoy a cinematic storyline every so often. I probably play 2-3 of those type of games each year.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

said by Ghastlyone:

We'll save the completely linear game play, zero exploration, and predictable story line for another discussion

I like linear storylines every so often... e.g. Crysis 3 or Tomb Raider. After thousands of League/BF4 matches, it's nice to turn your brain off and enjoy a cinematic storyline every so often. I probably play 2-3 of those type of games each year.

I don't mind linear story lines either sometimes. It's when it's coupled with mind numbing, monotonous game play. That I can't stand...(Bioshock Infinite, Last of Us, etc.)
Ghastlyone

Ghastlyone to me1212

Premium Member

to me1212
said by me1212:

Most of the world doesn't have near the internet required for the butt.

I know...that's why that "Cloud Computing" is pure marketing hype bullshit.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki to me1212

to me1212
neogaf didn't find shit. It was theworse over on guru3d. After it hit DSOgaming, it seems every shit head in every low rank forum is suddenly "discovering it."

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord

said by Mashiki:

neogaf didn't find shit. It was theworse over on guru3d. After it hit DSOgaming, it seems every shit head in every low rank forum is suddenly "discovering it."

!ALERT!

/PCmasterRace subscriber detected.

You tell them peasants, bro!

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin to me1212

Mod

to me1212
Almost, except, people are reporting stuttering is still there, and the shadows from objects doesn't look that great. Perhaps the decision was made to reduce the fidelity to maximise the number of people who could have a decent PC experience, and they didn't have the video option guis setup to off/on all these extra settings. Sometimes a conspiracy is not the simplest explanation, after all.

And everyone jumped on the "comment left in the config file" that indicated a grand plan to diss PCs, but that turned out not to be anything, either.