share rss forum feed

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

XBMC devices?

What devices, besides PC computers, can accomodate and run XBMC or something like it? Can the Apple TV device work? Other devices? Is the PC the best choice?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
The XBMC forums are going to provide the most accurate and complete information on this topic.

For example: »forum.xbmc.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=112 for devices that XBMC can run on.

Specifically, ATV -- only on jailbroken ones (I don't think ATV v3 has been jailbroken but I stopped folloign those efforts ages ago) with limits on how well it will play certain video files and resolutions. In fact, that's the case with all non-PC / non-video streaming boxes that weren't designed to play a wide variety of file formats.

You would probably be better of describing your specific needs and getting suggestions for those (either here or preferably at the XBMC forums).
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
A relative is on a budget much like me, and the cost of cable going into 200 or more bucks caused them to cancel it, please the cableco there isn't too good. She has an Apple TV, but I don't yet know which one. I'd like her to be able to watch live cable and movies and series, just trying to help her out until they get where they are making good bucks again. The CableCos are pricing themselves out of business, and they refuse to give people what they really want, which is A la carte choices. I detest E! TLC, and some of the other crap channels, and shouldn't have to pay for such poor programming.

What we really need is real competition, instead of each cableco monopolizing each market.

I see that rasperry Pi will work?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

2 edits
XBMC is best for local content (e.g. ripped DVDs) though there are "plugins" that try to access other web-based content (e.g. CBS.com) with varying degrees of success (and capabilities over time).

It sounds like what you want is either a Roku (streaming video including Netflix and other options for content) and/or a TabloTV -- if you get good OTA reception (free HD TV from major networks such as ABC, CBS, NBC, CW, and FOX -- TabloTV gets you a tv guide + dvr'ing capbilities).

No one gets "live cable" without paying for it so I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish in that regard via XBMC.

I'm not sure what content choices the AppleTV has these days... but it should have the major content/app providers like Netflix, Vudu, M-GO, and Hulu+ (all those services cost as well, by the way).

EDIT: fixed typos, edited for clarity
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

ryder9

join:2003-01-09
here
reply to signmeuptoo
Android devices, jail broken iOS devices, yes the apple TV does work, jail broken

Right now I have 6 different devices running xbmc

1. Zotac miniPC running XBMCBuntu...my favorite installation..
Boots directly to XBMC.latest and greatest repositories installed, including 1channel and Navi-X. Navi-X does actually have live channels believe it or not. This installation can exit and go to Linux.

2. 2 win7 desktops... Have to run from start menu, like MCE

3. 2 tablets... Galaxy Note 8.0 JellyBean and HP Touchpad w KitKat

4. HTC ONE M7... but it crashes a lot..

The current is xmbc Gotham
Www.XBMC.org
Www.xbmchub.com