uniqs

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

Are there any rumors of new FiOS speed tiers?

Like possibly a 100/50 tier?(that would be a good compromise between the 150/65 I currently have and the 75/35 tier.)

My contract is up for renewal by the end of July. It seems like in the past, that FiOS has rolled out new internet speed tiers in early July. So I'm trying to decide if i should wait until next month for a two year renewal or go ahead and lock things in now. I didn't know if there had been any rumors of something coming up.
patt2k
join:2009-01-16

patt2k

Didn't you say you pay 70$ for 150/65?:P but forgot to mention you have more then 1 service lol.

I hope they do otherwise I will have to switch to TWC for a while still have 10 months on my contract with fios

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint to aaronwt

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

Like possibly a 100/50 tier?(that would be a good compromise between the 150/65 I currently have and the 75/35 tier.)

More likely not. If Verizon offers that speed, they will be forced to upgrade BPON ONT's to GPON ones. Business wise it's not a good idea for them. I'd rather have them think of better pricing since TWC's internet is now cheaper in NYC.

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to patt2k

Premium Member

to patt2k
said by patt2k:

Didn't you say you pay 70$ for 150/65?:P but forgot to mention you have more then 1 service lol.

I hope they do otherwise I will have to switch to TWC for a while still have 10 months on my contract with fios

It's $80 in my bundle before any discounts are deducted.

SoCalDude
join:2008-07-30
Oxnard, CA

SoCalDude to aaronwt

to aaronwt
I'd like to see how they would respond to TWC MAXX in LA and NYC.

BioGeek
Quantum-VHO7
Premium Member
join:2007-08-25
West Orange, NJ

BioGeek to aaronwt

Premium Member

to aaronwt
As it stands I was already told that I would need to swap out my BPON ONT for a GPON one if I wanted to go beyond the 50/25 internet. I have had this one for 6.5 years and it seems like it can't even go to the 75/35 tier without the need to upgrade.

Hmm....
Expand your moderator at work

shmee
join:2005-04-03
Phoenixville, PA

shmee to aaronwt

to aaronwt

Re: Are there any rumors of new FiOS speed tiers?

Haven't heard any rumblings, and I doubt we'll see any speed bumps in the near future for the exact reason bluepoint described. It's one thing for a speed bump which involves "flipping a few switches" on the provider's end, which was the case for a lot of new "quantum" subscribers who picked up the 50/25 and 75/35 packages. It's a whole 'nother ball o' wax to offer a speed bump that's going to require a bunch of truck rolls.

I don't mean to sound crass here because I'm just genuinely curious... but what are you doing to saturate a 150 megabit pipe? Sounds like you just have it for the heck of it since you mentioned you'd be okay dropping down. I totally get just wanting MOAR SPEED because I have 75/35 and I'd get the next jump up if I could talk my wife into it. And I don't really need it.

aaronwt
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to BioGeek

Premium Member

to BioGeek
said by BioGeek:

As it stands I was already told that I would need to swap out my BPON ONT for a GPON one if I wanted to go beyond the 50/25 internet. I have had this one for 6.5 years and it seems like it can't even go to the 75/35 tier without the need to upgrade.

Hmm....

They had to swap out my BPON ONT to a GPON ONT when I went from the 75/35 tier to the 150/65 tier. Of course then I lost service for most of the week from the botched ugrade. But it has been working fine since they got things working properly.
aaronwt

aaronwt to shmee

Premium Member

to shmee
said by shmee:

Haven't heard any rumblings, and I doubt we'll see any speed bumps in the near future for the exact reason bluepoint described. It's one thing for a speed bump which involves "flipping a few switches" on the provider's end, which was the case for a lot of new "quantum" subscribers who picked up the 50/25 and 75/35 packages. It's a whole 'nother ball o' wax to offer a speed bump that's going to require a bunch of truck rolls.

I don't mean to sound crass here because I'm just genuinely curious... but what are you doing to saturate a 150 megabit pipe? Sounds like you just have it for the heck of it since you mentioned you'd be okay dropping down. I totally get just wanting MOAR SPEED because I have 75/35 and I'd get the next jump up if I could talk my wife into it. And I don't really need it.

I saturate my download and upload speeds several times a week. Either from backups for upload or downloading content from updates, games, software, etc. I have over sixty five devices on my home network.