BigSensFan

Premium Member

Canadian Health Care second last in Developed Nations

»io9.com/the-u-s-has-the- ··· FaceBook
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

Contrary to that report health care in the US is second to none...if you are wealthy that is.

"It's worth pointing out that Canada — a country much heralded for its healthcare system — finished 10th out of the 11 countries evaluated. Problems in Canada include safe care, timeliness of care, and efficiency."

If our local hospital Peterborough Regional Health Centre is any barometer, safe care, timeliness of care, and efficiency have all been sacrificed to save a buck while all the administration on the sunshine list rakes in the dough.

Lets start with Arnel Schiratti Director, Strategic Communications and Engagement. What that job title means people is a PR hack/ CEO sycophant/ minion and all round message spinner. Last year he made $126,134.07 plus benefits and his last job was Property Manager at a condominium corporation. Yes you got that right they hired a property manager to do press releases and we give him 126k when we could get 2 or 3 RPNs for that. You know...RPNs...the people who actually come to your bedside and take care of you. But hey who needs care at a hospital when you can just read about great care in a press release. If the hospital is doing such a great job as claimed why do they need a PR hack to spin that message?

CEO Ken Tremblay made $380,000.40 plus $17,257.68 in benefits last year. This is the same guy who sits in his office writing out invoices for $2.00 for parking if he has to go to a meeting away from the hospital. I kid you not. »www.prhc.on.ca/Assets/Up ··· 46d0.pdf
I know someone who works there and apparently the rest of his time is spent finding ways to get rid of cleaning, dietary and nursing staff while making it appear that patient care isn't suffering...oh that and sucking up to the Board of Directors. Mind you that's hard work, but not 400k kinda hard work. Anywho...I just drive to Lindsay now like so many other local residents so I won't get a C. diff infection going in there.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

1 edit

A Lurker to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
The only problem I see with ranking the UK #1 is that they have a 2-tier system now. ie. my uncle could have waited for his hernia operation or paid for it privately to jump the queue. He went private for that surgery, however, he used NHS years later for cancer treatment.

ETA: I've needed hospitalized care twice in the last decade or so. In both cases I was admitted immediately (in the Burlington hospital I didn't see an assigned bed for a day or two). The care was fairly good, however, as with most jobs there are always people who are good at it and bad at it. ie. someone has to graduate at the bottom of their class

The first time I was in the hospital I was working for a company with excellent extended benefits. The second time it had none. I had to claim EI to be paid while recovering from a surgery. The thing is, had I been in the US I likely wouldn't have been able to afford the surgery as it would have likely been a 'no health benefits' kind of company. I would have likely had to suffer and hope that it didn't become a more serious issue (and this wasn't something I could control through lifestyle changes, diet, etc.)

So although I'd like to see our system improve, I'll still take it any day over the one south of the border.

kingb71
join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

kingb71 to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
hate to say this, but Hudak was right, there are too many people in middle management who are overpaid & contribute nothing to patient care

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav

Premium Member

Too many little projects and side deals all over the place that suck valuable dollars from like people that actually need surgery and of course all the overhead these side notes cost.......
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

CEO Ken Tremblay made $380,000.40 plus $17,257.68 in benefits last year.

It's cheap compared to US hospitals.

Heads of U.S. nonprofit hospitals earn an average of almost $600,000 a year, compensation that isn’t tied to quality measures such as mortality rates, a Harvard University study found.

The chief executive officers paid the most oversee larger, urban hospitals that are usually teaching institutions and (they) have a median salary of more than $1.66 million....

»www.bloomberg.com/news/2 ··· 000.html
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

There budgets are probably much higher as well.

Question: Have you heard of hospital CEOs in the US sitting around and filling out invoices for $2.00 for parking off-site?

Like WTF goes through this guys head when he is doing this. Does he feel that entitled to every penny of every perk he can get his hands on.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

Question: Have you heard of hospital CEOs in the US sitting around and filling out invoices for $2.00 for parking off-site?

I've known two hospital CEO's personally and both are pretty good guys. In their particular cases, I don't think they'd do that.

But some others I know of, it might not surprise me.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

I don't think I've ever invoiced for anything less than $5.00 in my life despite probably spending hundreds even thousands that I could have nickel and dimed companies for.

Is it because it's taxpayers money and he isn't accountable? Probably. If others don't do this then is it some kind of character defect? Probably

It's like some sort of kleptomania to get every penny that he is burdened with spending because he's entitled to every entitlement.

Or in the words of the legendary David Dingwall, "I am entitled to my entitlements"

I could believe it when someone sent me a link to his expenses.

To think we even give him $1000.00 a month to lease a vehicle. What kind of idiots authorize these contracts.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

From his expense account, I'm more interested in the difference between a $23 meal and a $237 meal.

If these expenses are part of his contract, it doesn't offend my sensibilities that much.

Senators probably do much more abuse of privilege, and corporate executives certainly do.

In 2012 the big US insurer Wellpoint [fired] their CEO Angela Braly but have no tears, she pulled $13 million in compensation, plus post-termination severance valued at $7.6 million, plus another $29 million from vested shares and exercising stock options.

So your local guy is just a poor shoeshine kid in comparison.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by PX Eliezer1:

If these expenses are part of his contract, it doesn't offend my sensibilities that much.

You stole that line from David Dingwall's publicist didn't you?
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

He uttered the worst sound bite ever, but wasn't he cleared by a later review?
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

I don't think you'll find anyone who remembers if he was cleared just the line.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
not surprised at all...especially considering the non-stop articles in the paper about how things are done around here.

Mark
I stand with my feet
join:2009-07-11
Canada

Mark to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
Our TBRHSC CEO came from the Maritimes, she ended up doubling her salary to nearly $400K in the process.

As someone who has had need of care this year, I can attest to the limits of socialized medicine and would have jumped at the opportunity to be treated like a customer and not a nuisance....err, patient.

Try and have a rational debate about it though, and all you'll get are mindless memes from mindless mouth eaters. Maybe second last in the OECD, but tied for dead last with North Korea and Cuba as the only government run monopolies on earth.

Acute care=First rate
Chronic care=Third rate

To wit, I have an appointment with a gastro that was booked 3 months ago. June 2015. Couldn't figure out why it wouldn't fit in my calendar, turns out I got the year wrong.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

bah...you and peterboro got it easy with those $380k and $400k ceo salaries.

let me introduce you Cliff Nordal, our former Hospital CEO...before reading, please have your barf bag at hand, you'll need it.

»www.lfpress.com/news/col ··· 961.html
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

There's something obscene about fattening one public servant's wallet to the tune of about $730,000 a year, plus another $100,000 in taxable benefits, a $1.17-million bonus and a pile of privileges like a leased Lexus and country club membership.

Even here in the US that would really raise eyebrows, unless someone is heading a big multi-hospital system or somewhere outstanding like Mass General or Johns Hopkins....
PX Eliezer1

PX Eliezer1 to Mark

Premium Member

to Mark
said by Mark:

As someone who has had need of care this year, I can attest to the limits of socialized medicine and would have jumped at the opportunity to be treated like a customer and not a nuisance....err, patient.

There are pros and cons to both.

Our US system is getting [worse] before it gets better.

More than ever the US is moving toward a multi-tiered system where some doctors are dropping out of insurance altogether in favor of cash payments and/or large annual retainers.

Mark
I stand with my feet
join:2009-07-11
Canada

Mark to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
I'm 40, made some decent cash while I was in the construction business...but adding up the last 20 years of salary doesn't even bring me to his yearly bonus. Obscene!

As the CEO of enterprises with several thousand employees, the compensation ought to be in the six figure range. Two million? Of taxpayer funds? Good thing I have an empty stomach, that is madness.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to kingb71

to kingb71
said by kingb71:

hate to say this, but Hudak was right, there are too many people in middle management who are overpaid & contribute nothing to patient care

Evidence?
DKS

DKS to Mark

to Mark
said by Mark:

Canada does not have socialized medicine. We have a single-payer, non-profit system. There is a huge difference.
DKS

DKS to BigSensFan

to BigSensFan
Our CEO, who leads six hospitals in the corporation, has a salary of $266,437.10 with taxable benefits of $9,490.08. She retires this year.

»www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/pub ··· 2013.pdf

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by DKS:

Our CEO, who leads six hospitals in the corporation, has a salary of $266,437.10 with taxable benefits of $9,490.08. She retires this year.

»www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/pub ··· 2013.pdf

that sounds very reasonable, and from the sounds of it up there, the system is well run...if only whatever system in place up there was part of our regulation/salary grid so it could be replicated everywhere in the province.