dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
psyclone2772
join:2014-06-16

psyclone2772

Can i purchase a cable modem package in a store anywhere?

So im looking to get my own cable connection using the unused cable jack in our house because everyone else is ALWAYS on the DSL connection, making gaming impossible. I would order a package from teksavvy, but the problem is, i don't want the tech coming in to the house because my parents will wonder what is up. I'd just like to be able to bring the modem home, plug it in to the cable jack, and use my own connection without anyone being the wiser. Is there any way this is possible, such as a brick-and-mortar store that sells them? I know there is a cogeco store in the local mall, they don't have a store-specific website so i dont really know what they have there

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

Yes, you can.

However... You need to make sure when you buy it, it's running a firmware your new isp will support.

Not all cable modems with have the same firmware, and what's certified for Rogers may not work on Cogeco, despite the fact that they may be the same modem.
psyclone2772
join:2014-06-16

psyclone2772

Is there a list of modems supported by cogeco? Also will this work if i have never had a cable connection to my house before? We have a cable jack in our house but we've never used it before for anything.

I want to be able to just buy the modem, plug it in, and connect to cogeco when i sign up without any technicians having to come.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to psyclone2772

Premium Member

to psyclone2772
Also you will probably need to have a tech visit as the unused jack might not be connected to anything externally or internally.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to psyclone2772

Premium Member

to psyclone2772
Are you old enough to enter into a contract? Is there existing TV service?

A tech visit will pretty much be a given; for cableco or TPIA service.

Netfox
Premium Member
join:2008-07-17

Netfox to psyclone2772

Premium Member

to psyclone2772
If you're over 18 and are paying for the connection, does it matter what your parents think? If you're under 18 then you'll need to beg your parents permission.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by Netfox:

If you're over 18 and are paying for the connection, does it matter what your parents think? If you're under 18 then you'll need to beg your parents permission.

It's the parents' house. Doing it behind their back is just wrong, regardless, and encouraging it is unconscionable.

psyclone2772 See Profile, just speak with your folks and tell them you want your own connection, explain why, and that you are willing to pay for it and accept the responsibility.

Mike

Netfox
Premium Member
join:2008-07-17

2 edits

Netfox to psyclone2772

Premium Member

to psyclone2772
Thanks for the ethics lesson but I never said to do it behind their back. I will admit I could have worded it better. That is what I meant; if he was taking responsibility for it and covering the cost why would he need to sneak around. Unless of course he's under 18 and needs their permission.
Netfox

1 edit

Netfox to psyclone2772

Premium Member

to psyclone2772
Space for rent.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to psyclone2772

to psyclone2772
It would be easier (and cheaper) to simply configure QoS in the household router to give priority to gaming. And frankly, the cable node in your area may be congested and give you worse gaming performance than you have now.